Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prism holder ideas for powder scale

Boolit Master

Prism holder ideas for powder scale

Just asking how the smarter people have attached their prism on their powder scale to be able to read it.

Bought a new Scale as I was worried my old 30 odd yr old Lyman D7 was needing an upgrade..

This Looks virtually un used.
    Even it’s little aggets wiggle around still.
    The pan and wire are a bit big and funky but should be no dramas.
    Attachment 230426
    Thnx

Boolit Master

Never used one. But it's been so long since I used a beam scale on a regular basis that on those occations that I did. I just put on my readers.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Mount the scale on a shelf not attached to the bench. Mount it at eye level, whether you are working seated or standing.

Boolit Master
    Look at the picture in this link. It is now discontinue it would seem but I think with a bit of ingenuity you can come up with a solution.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...am-scale-prism

Best of luck!

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    That's a really nice old scale - It's only the old style pan and hanger that differentiates it from the famed Lyman "M5" and could be "modified" if you feel the need. Have you thought about going high tech and fitting a camera to use with a cheap android tablet of using a smart phone:
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...on-smartphone/

Boolit Master
    mines mounted on an eye level shelf

Boolit Master

I don't see (or can't see) the bracket that allows the triangle prism to slide up and down.
    It needs to be somewhat inline with the scale pointer, or close to it anyway.

Mine went in the garbage long ago.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

This isn't rocket science and a vernier is not necessary when measuring powder on a balance beam unless you think you can measure one individual flake, or one individual ball, or one individual cylinder of powder. Remember, many reloaders use a VOLUME method to powder charge and do not even measure the charge weight. They shoot real accurate too.

If you can see the balance beam scale, head up and erect, balance beam on the reloading table or nearby shelf, you can use a RELATIVE point on that scale to say to yourself IT IS ENOUGH and hit that mark CONSISTENTLY each and every time. You do not have to read dead level to make consistently accurate rounds...though I do like the table top camera through the computer to the large screen. That's innovative and creative.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    FOOD FOR THOUGHT

This isn't rocket science and a vernier is not necessary when measuring powder on a balance beam unless you think you can measure one individual flake, or one individual ball, or one individual cylinder of powder. Remember, many reloaders use a VOLUME method to powder charge and do not even measure the charge weight. They shoot real accurate too.

If you can see the balance beam scale, head up and erect, balance beam on the reloading table or nearby shelf, you can use a RELATIVE point on that scale to say to yourself IT IS ENOUGH and hit that mark CONSISTENTLY each and every time. You do not have to read dead level to make consistently accurate rounds...though I do like the table top camera through the computer to the large screen. That's innovative and creative.
    True - with a lot of shooting, a tenth of a grain either way is fairly immaterial if you have a properly developed load, it also true that a lot of benchrest shooters are consistently producing tiny group just dropping powder from a measure. It's also true that other factors, such as wind and shooters ability will play a far more important to what happens down range.

However, I don't think you will find many current long range benchrest or F-Class shooters dropping powder from a measure. Over the last couple of years common practice seems to be to spend $600 on a digital scale, accurate to half a kernel of powder then top it off with a $200 digital auto-trickler. Remember, these are the guys who weigh individual primers - however, they do put in some stunning groups at 1,000 yards.

A good beam scale will easily and consistently measure within a tenth of a grain, fitting a camera is easy and it eliminates any parallax error no matters where you view the screen from, it also allows the scales to be placed in the most convenient position to use rather than where you can see it best.

Here's a good beam scale doing it's thing reliably.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz2SWCjj5e4

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

1066 - I like that PC setup and wish I had one. His loading table is far too CLEAN though. I stop all motion in my hanging pan when reading the vernier scale. I also think that zeroing the balance beam at say 100 grains and checking the lower weight scales for zero gives a more fine tuned zero scale. Like a tiny angle at the muzzle will equate to a large miss at 100 yds, using no weight and eyeballing the vernier may not give you an exact zero. But using the largest check weight above the regime you are weighing (charge is 51 grains, use 100 grain check weight), and rechecking zero with nothing in the pan should give the best result. If the beam scale does not vary by 0.10 grain or more on the empty pan after setting zero at the charge weight (or above), you are within the accuracy regime of the beam scale. CONSISTENCY is the key. Thoughts?
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    1066 - CONSISTENCY is the key. Thoughts?

Consistency is absolutely the key - It doesn't matter what your scales actually read, as long as you ascertain that it's a safe load and you can repeat it every time. I have reloading "scales" that have no weight markings. You set the desired weight by loading the pan with appropriate check weights and zero the "scale" at that. Every load exactly the same.

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, volume vs weight, again. For a newer reloader, I strongly suggest weighing their powder charges. One major reason is every reloading manual I've ever seen list charges in weight, grains and not cc.

Back to the OP's question; This is the first time I've seen a prism on a reloading scale, but it isn't a bad idea. I can't see any mounting brackets in the pic. Getting a good look at the indicator/hash marks has always been a "problem" especially for us older guys. I have a table (2x4 and 3/4" plywood weighted down by two 10 lb ingots) to raise my scale 10". As seen in some of the posts above there are many ways to get a good view of those tiny, itty bitty lines. I elevate the scale and keep the scale well lighted and don my readers...

BTW, what make is the scale in the pic?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Y

BTW, what make is the scale in the pic?
    Those are both Pacific.

Boolit Grand Master

I never knew a prism was required....or a prism holder !
    Loading 50 years without this... I get to buy more reloading stuff !
    I drive my wife insane with the stuff I need....more stuff, more stuff , more stuff....it's neverending
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Those are both Pacific.
    Sorry, I meant the scale in the OP's post...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Sorry, I meant the scale in the OP's post...
    I'm pretty sure that's a Ohaus 505 - dating from the mid '60's

Boolit Master
    Yes it’s a Ohaus 505 scale early model.

A quick look with the magnafine glass on a iPhone looks good.
    I don’t know a bout the parallax error being slightly bent up for viewing thou.

The prism holder is on hold till I find something to make it out of.

Thanks for the links and ideas.

I do need something these days as the lines arn’t as sharp even with my trifocals on..
    Ha

I think i’ll Trust a good balance beam scale over a electric one any day.

I have noticed that it centres quickly but drafts work on that big pan a lot easier than my old one.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 11-16-2018 at 11:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 230495
    First proto type.
    Learnt heaps.
    Next one should be good I hope.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 11-17-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I saw pics of a feller using one of those desk mounted, magnifying lamps. Seemed to work for him...
    https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_vmnm30twp_e

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast