Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Convert out-cannel gouge to in-cannel ?

Boolit Buddy

Convert out-cannel gouge to in-cannel ?

Which I guess is just reversing the grind so that the bevel is on the inside. If anyone has done this, are there tricks or secrets? Figured I would carefully (not overheat) grind the edge square, then grind a new bevel on the inside. Test tool is the little gouge in my Millers Falls carving set. I think I can use the Dremel to grind the new bevel.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Boolit Master
    I'm 72 now and the hands aren't as steady as they used to be. Got visited by arthuritus and I'd find some way to hold the dremel like in a vice where only the gouge is able to move. Treat the dremel like a bench mounted grinder. Those little moto tools can remove a lot of material in a heart beat if not careful. Try brownell's online catalog for what they call slip stones which if I remember are used for sharpening gouges. or get some tapered india stones. Used to grind then hone all my tool bits for my lathe. Used an ancient grinder at work that had about a 12" grinding wheel on it about 2" face. Used the sides to get the shapes I wanted then at home india or norton stones to hone the surfaces. Hope this helps. Frank

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've done it, prefer a round file to reform the bevel to avoid heat. Finish with slip stone or various grades of sandpaper on a dowel.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!