Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sub-zero s s pin tumbling?

Moderator Emeritus

Sub-zero s s pin tumbling?

With 11*s last night, and more cold to come/stay in my area, I had very reluctantly drained liquids from my hi-speed Thumler's Tumbler which I regularly use to tumble my brass. So much have I used it, my slo-speed one with walnut shells has been collecting dust. I just had a flash of "brilliance" with the idea if anyone has used an anti-freeze solution along with the Dawn, Armor-All Wash 'n Wax, and LemiShine to again make their brass sparkle?

In my neck of the woods they purvey fairly inexpensive "non-toxic" "RV Anti-freeze Solution" ranging in the three to five dollar per gallon range. My thought would be to possibly use this instead of water for initial mix; then, take drained brass (sans pins) into house for rinsing in a sink I have in reloading room. Might this work? (NOT a chemist, I quiver at ignorantly mixing chemicals I know so little about)

Has anyone tried this or similar? YES: The two solutions are 1/ Put the ss tumbler to rest for winter months, just using the walnut shell one; and 2/ bring the wet tumbler into house -- which is something I'm not going to do. Hence, to use the "wet" with a non-freezing solution may be my solution.

Any ideas?

geo

Boolit Master
    be vewwry vewwry carefwul some of them rv antifreezes have undesirable chem contents amonias and rust inhibitors and such.

I haven't done it but I work at a radiator shop. The chemicals in antifreeze corrodes pretty much any metal over time. You'd have to extensively wash your brass after you use that on them. Even then I personally wouldn't trust that it was all completely removed.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I thinks you might want to just add some alcohol of sorts (the sort you use for making case lubes, not consuming by the case) most commercial antifreezes have undesireable contents like ammonia and scale inhibitors.

Boolit Buddy
    Cheap vodka might work.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the great responses! I had a hunch using the RV-antifreeze may not be a wise solution.... dang! Every year it seems "worser" for me to go through the winter without this tool/toy! For many, I'm sure it is not thaaat many, but I can document between 4,000 and 5,000 cases wet-cleaned this summer, alone. I used to swear by both ultrasonic (I have a Hornady) and walnut.corncob tumbling -- til I discovered the wet ss method.
    I had not thought of alcohol as an anti-freeze. I hear Camper64's admonition to reserve the Grey Goose for other purposes -- but, again my ignorance: Isopropyl alcohol? I'm not thinking of the real cold (negative zero, Fahrenheit) days -- we do get many in the teens to high twenty-degree range -- so I really would not need to lower freezing point thaaaat much. Initial straining in garage with me wearing rubber gloves to keep hands dry...
    geo

looks like there could be another use for Royal Crown...just make sure to sift the pins out before your next party.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Set your tumbler up and have a spot lamp with a 100w bulb pointed at it a foot away or whatever it takes to not let the tumbler get hot. Should keep it above freezing

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    looks like there could be another use for Royal Crown...just make sure to sift the pins out before your next party.

redhawk
    I can think of another use for the royal crown
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    Start with 150 degree water, it won’t freeze in 3 hours if you’re above zero.

If you’re really worried, put a cardboard box over the tumbler and put a light bulb (incandescent, not LED) or reptile heater in with it.

Boolit Master
    I just do it in my basement in the winter as that’s where I do everything else. Don’t think I would use any kind of antifreeze other than what’s in my vehicles and in my travel trailer plumbing.
    The reason I got into wet tumbling is I wouldn’t have a dry one in my house that’s for sure

Boolit Master
    Hi Redhawk0.It`s Crown Royal.Royal Crown is a soda pop.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    Hi Redhawk0.It`s Crown Royal.Royal Crown is a soda pop.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    After rereading my post...I realized that...maybe I had a bit too much Crown Royal before posting...hahaha

redhawk

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I just re read what I wrote as well, I plea auto correct.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

Just build a blue board box to put over it with a 40-60 watt bulb or reptile heating pad underneath it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Start with 150 degree water, it won’t freeze in 3 hours if you’re above zero.

If you’re really worried, put a cardboard box over the tumbler and put a light bulb (incandescent, not LED) or reptile heater in with it.
    Hot water freezes faster than cold water. The water isn't going to freeze while tumbling. If you use a timer and it sits forgotten that is where the problem would be. Isopropyl I.E. cheap rubbing alcohol would work if you really think you need it.

I'd bet windshield wash anti-freeze would work. Its not much more that Methanol alcohol and water. It won't harm auto paint/chrome. I can't see it would damage brass either.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....eeps-freezing/

redhawk

Moderator Emeritus

So many great solutions (pun intended) -- THANKS again to all! I read redhawk0's link, and even added the 1936 Windshield Washer reference to my "fun fact" database . I hadn't thought of using windshield washer fluid; nor -- what I may in fact really try: inverting a fairly huge Styrofoam box cooler over it -- I do believe the size is "right" -- with a tubular (like in aquarium hoods) 40 watt incandescent bulb adjacent to the tumbler. One of my never-ending fears is the f-word (fire), so I'd not do this without me being in, at least, the nearby house. Sounds like a plan worth exploring -- from, say, 9:30AM through 4ish PM, I may be able to clean quite a few cases.
    geo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Hot water freezes faster than cold water.
    Often true, but in the described scenario cold water will freeze faster than hot.

What happens if you tumble with the pins dry?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast