Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sub-zero s s pin tumbling?

Boolit Grand Master

I would not think that the water would freeze until the tumbler stops. Just time it so that you are there to empty it when it quits. I would consider taking it inside to separate the media from the cases. I would be afraid of any anti-freeze solution and I'm thinking the alcohol would be an added expense.

Boolit Buddy

Geo

For the last 8-10yrs, I have wet pin tumble year round, I have never had a problem during the COLD months,
    down to -10* daytime temps, inside the non heated shop.

I run my Tumbler Model "B" big model with the normal hot water, Lemshine and Dawn soap and 10#'s of pins,
    pop the top, dump the dirty water, then drain/wash the clean brass with hot water, then spread the brass on a cookie sheet,
    and place the brass under the wood burner stove to dry off etc, I run about a 1 hr time per tumble time..

I drain the bbl and leave pins in the bottom, so I can start with a fresh/clean bbl full of hot water for the next session etc.

The only problem I have found, is with the very cold temps, during the drain/wash cycle, the brass will collect/freeze together,
    I have learned to soak them in HOT tap water, shake off the excess water and then get the brass inside to house to dry ASAP.

HTH,

Tia,
    Don

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Hot water freezes faster than cold water.
    False It is possible for warmer water to freeze faster but most often the reverse is true.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    all I know about hot water freezing, is that it makes crystal clear ice if you use hot water, looks really neat in a glass of vodka. I have been told its because there is less oxygen in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    looks like there could be another use for Royal Crown...just make sure to sift the pins out before your next party.

redhawk

BLASPHEMY............!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    BLASPHEMY............!!
    Hahaha...the reaction I was going for.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

Kind of hate to give a serious reply -- sort of -- but it was low to mid 20*s out and I had a bunch of .44 S&W Sp. to clean, so I used 70ish degree distilled water (89 cents from Wal*Mart) with my "normal" mix of Dawn, Armor All Wash n Wax, and LemiShine. Much to my relief, nothing looked like it was even beginning to freeze at the end of my four-hour tumbling. I donned plastic dish-washing gloves to keep my fingers dry, and removed brass with my hands, one at a time (to rinse/drop out pins) as I normally do in warmer temps. The challenge I then had -- basically my only one -- was in getting the plastic bucket of now clean brass into house, and rinsed -- but this was due 100% due to my bum leg/mobility. I had planned on taking rinsed brass back out, to use the Frankfort brass dryer -- but, with EDT ended, -- it got too dark out too quickly -- so I just scattered the brass on an old towel. Bion, the next morning it was pretty much all alllmost dry, no water spots or the like, and I reckoned in a day or two it will be dry enough to use! Bion, I just loaded a bunch on my Dillon 550b, and they seemed as fine as ones done in the summer.
    Perhaps I got too cautious re the freeze potential? In any case, I did my first sub-freezing (32* in Fahrenheit ) tumbling, without a problem! By golly, as long as days in the 20*s come... I anticipate continued success.
    This is great not just for me, but also for those who wish not to contaminative their "Royal Crown".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    False It is possible for warmer water to freeze faster but most often the reverse is true.
    https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv...t-d8a2f611e853

https://www.sciencealert.com/does-ho...han-cold-water

Boolit Master

Wasn't alcohol the "first" anti-freeze.
    I imagine a quarter - half cup of plain old rubbing alcohol couldn't hurt. Maybe just a little piece of mind.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    "at times seems to" is not the same as happens all the time.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Moderator Emeritus

I again need voice my total ignorance as a "chemist". I still haven't resolved the comments I've read where the use of Dawn and Armor All Wash n Wax, mixed, counter each other. (?? RHETORIC comment -- not to start a new thread vis "Chemistry 101" ) To add still another chemical -- well, as stated, I'm not smart enough to know all its effects -- if, I would hope, there'd be none. Back in 1965 (age 17) I had a job working in a supermarket, and to clean a real scuzzy dairy cooler I wandered the aisles, throwing pretty much all products I thought would work to do the cleaning in my cart, and then a cleaning bucket. "Yes", if you've already guessed this, I was most grateful I didn't get fired as I had mixed ammonia and Clorox. NOwheres on each container was there a warning suggesting ammonium chloride gas would be released by their being mixed! Since that event -- store WAS evacuated, albeit it it was about 7AM with only a handful of customers -- I've developed a keen respect towards the consequences of "mixing stuff".
    geo

Boolit Master
    I once mixed a oinion sandwich with a burrito and a slightly off beer. man talk about chemical reaction. I thought the environment people where going to fence me off like a nuclear area.

Boolit Grand Master

I've used both Dawn and ArmorAll in my tumbler but not together. I've pretty well dropped the Dawn and use the wash-in-wax with LemiShine now. Mater of fact, I've been tumbling brass for the last few days. Waiting on the timer to time out on a load right now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I've used both Dawn and ArmorAll in my tumbler but not together. I've pretty well dropped the Dawn and use the wash-in-wax with LemiShine now. Mater of fact, I've been tumbling brass for the last few days. Waiting on the timer to time out on a load right now.
    I dropped the Dawn a couple years ago. Went with Armor All as well and it does better job.

Boolit Master

The Thumbler motor creates a lot of heat; at least mine do. I would think that just inverting a cardboard box over the tumbler would keep it above freezing. They’re designed to run for extended periods of time so you might just let it run overnight. I’ve kept plants from freezing using a cardboard box and a 25 watt light bulb, worked down to 15*F or so. Colder than that I let nature take its course.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I don't think I'd be to interested in wet tumbling brass outside if it was in the teens , and I had to worry about the water freezing , I'd be more worried about me freezing . I'd shoot dirty brass until spring .

Boolit Buddy

IMHO

I don't want to run dirty brass thru my dies, it can't be good for them etc.

I clean, then reload clean brass to shoot,
    then I don't have to worry about all the grit inside the cases, that can't be seen, and is blown thru the bbl etc.

YMMV,

Tia,
    Don

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    A chasing a tail thread. Just bring the tumbler in a heated building and forget about all these ideas How to run the tumbler in freezing weather
    Regards
    John

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Set your tumbler up and have a spot lamp with a 100w bulb pointed at it a foot away or whatever it takes to not let the tumbler get hot. Should keep it above freezing
    You could put your tumbler in a box with a lightbulb. They do this a lot to keep wellheads from freezing, why not a tumbler.

Boolit Buddy
    With the thought of using alcohol- how about dry gas? Dollar store type, could get several batches out of one bottle depending on batch size.

“I like my martini’s tumbled not stirred” James will have to modify his famous tag line.

Paul in WNY
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast