PBcastcoInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Load data for .40 - 65

My copy of Lyman's cast bullet handbook has 40-65 win smokeless data for a 260g cast boolit. Max pressures are less than 20k. There is data for sr 4759, i4198, rl7, i3031, i4895 and maybe a couple others. PM your email address and i will send you a pdf file.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    My friend has tried re-formed .45-70 brass but has a problem with them sticking. He bought 200 Starline and there are no problems. I can`t believe the problem I`m having locating any loading data for using a 260 gr. weight boolet and reduced smokeless loads in his 1886 Winch. All data now seems aimed on single shots using 400 gr. +/- weight boolets. Still hoping someone here on the site might have some data for me.Robert
    Look at 40-82 loads. I use a 260 bullet also. You might have better luck because your brass is shorter, removing the need for fillers. I use 34 grains of 3031 and a 260grain bullet from an Ideal reloading tool.

Boolit Bub
    Has anyone tried using a 210-grain cast revolver bullet for fireforming brass?

I have an old "sporting" Remington Roller in 40-65 win.

I use old 45-70 cases and found that I needed to form them just a little at a time till my shell holder bottomed on the size die. Then removing the shell holder, I shoved the cases into the die till the rim bottomed out ... then taking my brass rod I tap em back out of the die. This allows chambering easy peasy.

My main load consists of a 350 grain cast boolit seated on a .060 vegi wad over 60 grains of Old E 2F powder. I compress the powder with a compression stem in the flairing die body. The stem can be found at Buff Arms.

I prime the cases with 9 1/2 Remington large rifle primers. I then ran the loaded and seated boolits back into my size die till the flair is taken out of the case mouth and just the slightest bit of squeeze to keep the boolits from falling outta their seated position.

This load is easy to shoot but might want some crimp for a lever gun. Always wanted an '86' chambered in 40 WCF. Maybe someday.

Sure would like to see photo's of your new adoption. Congrats on a for sure fun old lever.

I have wanted to try smokeless loads in my old roller but the BP loads are so much fun and just can't take the chance with my very nice original sporting roller.

Want to get a 260 grain mold also to make some express loads with. BP express loads should be just a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Look at 40-82 loads. I use a 260 bullet also. You might have better luck because your brass is shorter, removing the need for fillers. I use 34 grains of 3031 and a 260grain bullet from an Ideal reloading tool.
    I would like to see your cast 160 grain boolits. Do you csst them with your Ideal mold on your tong settup?

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    I would like to see your cast 160 grain boolits. Do you csst them with your Ideal mold on your tong settup?
    Yes, its the mold I use. I keep it classy with 100 year old equipment.
    but i also got a 300 grain mold from Accurate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12