Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Load data for .40 - 65

In Remembrance

Load data for .40 - 65

I`m trying to find some load data using lead boolets for a .40 - 65 that is being restored to shooting condition. I`m coming up empty for loads using the Lyman #403169 standard cartridge boolet, even Ken Waters `Pet Loads` wasn`t any help.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman 50th has some data for smokeless duplication loads. SPG manual has some for Black Powder.

Boolit Master
    There are a lot listed in Lyman's cast bullet loading manual also.

Enough 2F black powder to give you 1/8" or so compression, drop tubed. A few grains of medium burning smokeless powder against the primer added if you don't want to have to wipe the bore. Make bullets out of 20:1 lead/tin, use good BP bullet lube. Poly or card wad between powder and bullet. That's what it's made for, and will likely give best performance with.

If it is an old rifle, the twist rate is probably not appropriate for most of the modern loading data. I'm pretty sure the 40/65 Win. and the 40/60 Marlin it was cloned from used 260-265gr. bullets originally. In modern times the case was loaded with much heavier bullets in single shot rifles with faster twist rates for target work. So if you use those heavy bullet loads, they may be too long to feed and if fired probably won't stabilize in an old lever gun. Just have to look for an appropriate weight bullet mold.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

has data for 40-65.

The two 4198 powders are easy on the gun.

A rifling rate of 1:20" is not unusual, and will probably stabilize the 400 gr LRNFP bullet used by Hodgdon. However, the barrel Hodgdon used to develop their data used 1:16" rifling.

If this is a 1886, I don't believe any chambered for 40-65 were proofed for smokeless powder. What rifle are you working with?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    A rifling rate of 1:20" is not unusual, and will probably stabilize the 400 gr LRNFP bullet used by Hodgdon. However, the barrel Hodgdon used to develop their data used 1:16" rifling.
    If the rifle in question is a Winchester 1886 40-65, the twist rate is 1 in 26".

DAta is also found in (from memory) "loading for the old ones" by Ken Waters

What ever you load, keep them light with smokeless. And in this case, Trailboss may not be a good choice.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 11-16-2018 at 06:01 PM.
    Chill Wills

It would help if the OP would tells us more about the rifle.

Boolit Master
    The lyman cast bullet manual has load data for both the older lighter bullets as well as the new heavy ones.

Vendor Sponsor

Yes. Some details about the rifle always help.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    you might also try Duke's (Mike Venturino) shooting lever guns of the old west.

You might not hear from the OP for a while, Michigan's 15 day deer rifle season started yesterday.

BB

Boolit Master
    From SPG Lube book by Mike Venturino & Steve Garbe:

40-65 Winchester formed from 45-70 cases trimmed to 2.10" long. No special dies needed. Groove diameter from 0.403" to 0.409". Slug to find out. Bullets cast from 30:1 lead:tin mix. SPG lube. No information on smokeless loads.

1) Hoch custom 385gr bullet, 51gr of FFg, milk carton wad between bullet and powder, OAL 2.668", velocity 1,204fps.
    2) RCBS 40-400 bullet, 51gr FFg, milk carton wad, OAL 2.755", velocity 1,180fps.

I load for 40-82. Kinda similar cartridge except your bullet is way heavier. I found this in a book.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    You might not hear from the OP for a while, Michigan's 15 day deer rifle season started yesterday.

BB

Just got home, got a 6 point. The best knowledge I have of the rifle is that it is an old Winchester lever action that a friend in Florida and a gunsmith friend are re-working to make it a shooter. I`m here in Mich. so I can`t see the rifle nor check out many points on it that need addressing. Thanks for the data help guys.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    The only lever Winchester made in 40-65 was an 1886. Lyman did catalog a 260 gr bullet for it. I have an RCBS special order mould that casts a 260 gr .40 cal bullet. Starline makes 40-65 brass. It can be formed from 45-70, but depending on your chamber, you may have to buy a custom die to reduce the case diameter at the very base. If I had to do it over again I would just buy Starline brass.

Bill

In Remembrance

My friend has tried re-formed .45-70 brass but has a problem with them sticking. He bought 200 Starline and there are no problems. I can`t believe the problem I`m having locating any loading data for using a 260 gr. weight boolet and reduced smokeless loads in his 1886 Winch. All data now seems aimed on single shots using 400 gr. +/- weight boolets. Still hoping someone here on the site might have some data for me.Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast