Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Storing Speed Loaders?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Storing Speed Loaders?

Question to you Revolver guys - For storing speed loaders, what do you use (when just storing 'em, not when in use)

I'm thinking maybe a zippered pouch for each set or something but maybe someone has a better idea?

As I get set up better I'll make 3d printed jigs to drop rounds into to mass load them, that'll be better

To just store them, I use heavy zippered freezer bags from the grocery store. You can see through the bags and write on them as well as the fact they are cheap.
    I use these bags for test rounds of pistol or rifle loaded rounds too. Makes keeping the rounds from getting mixed together easy.
    I write the load data on the bag when loading and the test results and velocity from the chrono on the bag while at the range. I transfer the data to my logs when I get home.

Banned
    Most just live in the range bag.

I have stored them in coffee cans but I've been thinking about making a wooden box for them.

I don't have a need to store large quantities of them loaded so I probably will not make a loading block for them.

You can buy the cartridge holders and screw them to a board and this was a popular device back when PPC was a bigger sport. However they take up more room when stored loaded. Plus if you store them loaded and have the wrong cartridge in them you have to unload them and then re-load them (like say you have wadcutters in them when you want SWC).
    I was thinking about a block of wood that is roughly the thickness of the loader body and drilling a series of holes in the block that are slightly larger than the diameter of the speed loader. You could use a Forstner bit and make a blind hole but it would be just as easy to bore all the way through the block and attach a bottom to make blind holes. Then just some type of simple lid to hold the loaders in place. You could get really fancy and put smaller corresponding blind holes in the lid that captured the knob on top of the speedloader when the lid was closed.

I use paint and markers to color code the knobs of my speed loaders so that I can distinguish the different loaders at a glance.

Safariland Comp II's for S&W K-frames and Ruger Six series guns are slightly different but nearly impossible to distinguish at a glance. There is a small alpha-numeric code on them but it's tiny. Color coding the knobs makes it a breeze to spot them and it also identifies them as mine if I'm shooting with friends.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have been using the resistor color code and mark things with that, works very well. Orange Green Violet for 357, for example, and I then add another color band to differentiate if I have more than one gun that uses that cartridge. Definitely a good idea, no one else I've ever seen uses that system (I tend to mark some things with my name as well.)