Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40SW brass

40SW brass

Three questions about used brass. 1. What is the quantity most re-loaders would want? 2. How should it be shipped? 3. How to package it?
    I have about 30 lbs + of 40sw brass that I probably will never get around to reloading. As I don't shoot as much as I used to and a neighbor just gave me about another 10 lbs. I would like some input on how I should package for sale on our S&S? A medium flat rate box holds around 20lbs which is about 2000 pieces and a small flat rate box is about 3.5 lbs. A medium flat rate box is $13.65 and the small is $7.20. This is all once fired yellow brass from one of my two Springfields. The free stuff from my neighbor is unknown, so I will keep it and reload it for my own use.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by wyofool; 11-15-2018 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Addled mind

I'll try this again.

Maybe separate yellow and nickel.

20lbs in a medium flat rate box.

3 small flat rate boxes with the other 10lbs divided up.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

40 brass is one of the hardest to sell at times. Then sometimes it sells right away. Just depends on someone needing it or not. The first thing I would do is see how much a recycler would give you for it. If you have one close. Then you can offer it both ways. Example I can sell approx amount in a SFR box for $ plus shipping or I can sell one mfr for X amount plus shipping. Then you will know what you can drop your price to if it does not sell right away.

Banned
    I like to ship brass in padded USPS envelopes. YOu can get them for free at USPS.com, they hold twice as much as an SFRB and cost 5¢ more to ship.

I always double up the envelopes.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 40 S&W allegedly is in its death throes as a defensive caliber. I darn sure don't buy that drivel sequence. Its sole disadvantage (in the views of LE trainers and their agencies buying the ammo) is that of the 3 most common autopistol calibers carried for felon repellent--9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP--the 40 S&W has the sharpest recoil and the LE folks have the most trouble qualifying with it first time through a quals session. Time and ammunition = money, and 9mm ammo is lots cheaper than 40 or 45, and 9mm is easiest of the three to qualify with. So it is a cost-saving step, this return to 9mm that FBI and large LE agencies seem to be advocating.

So, 40 S&W brass might not move like it once did. I like the caliber--my old shop's deputies have loved it since we authorized it in 1994, and it is my most-often-carried caliber (Glock 23/WWB 180 grain JHPs). Citizen-shooters often follow FBI recommendations concerning ammo/caliber/sidearm selection, and that is sound practice--just understand that cost and officer shooting competence are the deciding factors in this latest bit from FBI, and also understand that most of the folks posting here are a lot more capable handgunners than many law officers now working in this country. Lots of reasons why that is the case, and not really germane to a brass discussion.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I have to agree with 9.3X62AL 100%. I am a former LEO firearms instructor and a lot of LEO recruits do not have very much firearms experience. They have problems qualifying with the 40 S&W and 45ACP. Heck a lot had problems qualifying with full bore 357 mag and most departments issued 38 special for qualification training when the 357 was the main LEO caliber back in the day.
    The FBI have gone back and forth with the 9mm over the years and their main reason to go back to it is that their recruits can shoot the nine better then they can the 40 or 45. 9mm ammo has made great strides as a defensive round with better stopping power, but so has the 40 and 45.

Others have talked about packaging and shipping. I will speak to quantities.
    You get basically two different kinds of people who will buy brass. Small quantity shooters and high quantity shooters.
    Small quantity shooters want just a few cases and are willing to pay slightly more per case to get the amount they want and keep their clutter down in their work areas.
    High quantity shooters want to get a lot of cases at one time(medium to large flat rate box) and get them at the smallest per case cost they can.
    As you can see, these two types are mutually exclusive. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground.
    This works the same way for 9mm and 45ACP. Some of the other less common cartridges are less available and shooters will take whatever they can get.

Boolit Master
    For those who use the .44 mag, I believe that 40 sw brass can be used to make 44 mag bullets, according to MannyCa on YouTube. He also makes 357 bullets from 380 brass.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

My thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. A special thanks to Dusty for his time and insight. "Thanks Dusty"
    I also "found" the sticky on shipping brass, it was very helpful.

Moderator Emeritus

I last bought a medium flat rate box of 40 mixed brass for $35, shipping included and run through a bulge buster die. He was happy to see it go. That was around 2010.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Unlike 38sp/357, 45acp or 45acp, .40cal seems to have become more of a specialized caliber for people who are dedicated towards it. Most reloaders will try out 45acp etc but fewer will buy a 40cal spur of the moment. It's too bad as I'm finding a .40 is very nice to shoot and a reloader can do great things with it.

Being less popular I think that people who are looking for that brass would buy a larger quantity than, say, 100pcs of 38sp as you can always find that around. Just my thoughts with no basis in anything.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    Al, your post is very much appreciated and seconded. M and P 3.6 2.0 40 carrier here.

For the reason that I do practice, I do load my own cheaper than 9mm can be bought, and desire the balance of power and capacity.

I also think for anyone that spends any reasonable amount of time developing proficiency the controllability of the 40 is not a problem.

Seems testosterone is trending downward lately, or the man cards need updating.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't go through thousands of rounds per year to stay sharp. 100 rounds every 6-8 weeks seems to keep the edges honed properly. I have been using j-word Hornady HAP 180s for practice fodder in the 40, I need to test-drive the Lee 175 TC loads (4.7 grains of WW-231) that I use in the Beretta 96 and CZ-75B that duplicate the carry loads (WWB 180 JHPs) so well. That is an aroundtuit I haven't got to yet. I have a whole lot of W-W 40 S&W brass loaded up at present--I should fire off a bunch of it and send it to folks that can use it. We are down to 3 pistols in 40 S&W currently, from a high of 6 on hand a couple years back. I was sorely tempted by a SIG P-226 in 40 with only a few miles on it, but wasn't willing to pay full-boat new retail price for anyone's used pistol. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I’m glad to see that there are others here who still appreciate the .40sw. I roll my eyes a little whenever I hear someone say it’s either “too snappy” or “short and wimpy”. So which is it, underpowered or overpowered? Someone told me recently that I’d better buy components for .40 in bulk because it’s dying so fast they won’t be available in the future. I responded that that’s patently absurd.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I’m glad to see that there are others here who still appreciate the .40sw. I roll my eyes a little whenever I hear someone say it’s either “too snappy” or “short and wimpy”. So which is it, underpowered or overpowered? Someone told me recently that I’d better buy components for .40 in bulk because it’s dying so fast they won’t be available in the future. I responded that that’s patently absurd.
    Considering the 38-40 is still available it's very absurd.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    The 38/40 remains because it works very darn well, and the 40 S&W will remain for the same reason. I have referred to the caliber as "The Forty Short & Weak", but that is just a jibe and a backhanded compliment to the 10mm Auto, a pistol caliber I REALLY LIKE that was the 40 S&W's progenitor. The 10mm was verboten for carry at the old shop, and the 40 was OK'ed in 1994.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Especially considering just how many tens of millions of .40sw pistols are out there, and the fact that I have a five gallon bucket of .40 brass and a couple molds.

The venerable .38 Special died a similar death a couple decades ago, as far as a common service cartridge. It may have died out as a popular service round, but it's far from dead, and still just as good as it ever was.
    I have referred to the caliber as "The Forty Short & Weak"
    In all fairness, I've been known to use the term myself, for the same reason as you. Nothing against the .40.

I also get that for some people, the 9mm really is the better choice. I bought a S&W Shield last year, and had the chance to try one out in .40sw as well as the 9mm I bought. The .40sw definitely had more snap to it, and while it didn't bother me, I bought the 9mm with the thought in mind that my wife might shoot it. She's just not interested in practicing enough to learn to tolerate the increased recoil.

Boolit Buddy
    Today I received my BT Sniper swage dies that use .40 brass to make(swage) .44 mag bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

I’d better buy components for .40 in bulk because it’s dying so fast they won’t be available in the future.

Really? Starline has .455 Webley in stock so I'd say 40Cal might be available for a little while.

I bought a S&W Shield last year, and had the chance to try one out in .40sw as well as the 9mm I bought.

I also have a Shield in 9mm and it's a great carry gun. I just saw a .40cal Shield Police Trade In for $260 on a sight and was seriously thinking of getting it.

"40 short and weak"

Usually thrown around by 10mm snobs letting you know that your not a part of the "In Crowd" and so have no idea what you are talking about.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast