Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: New 627 Pro inbound

Boolit Buddy

New 627 Pro inbound

I ordered this morning from Grabagun at 615 and by 845 had shipping information. It should be here by Friday. Most of my time on this gun will be for Steel Challenge, USPSA, and other gun games but I wanted it to have functionality off the range as it will replace my Glock 17 for trail carry and home defense. My plan is to use Starline .38 Short Colt brass and load 9mm data for competition, 38 Specials in the house, a light .38 Special load for small game, and a stout .357 load for the trail and whitetails. I normally get one gun a year around Christmas but the Army decided I should be a Captain so my wife let me go outside of my normal budget this year. Now I just need to get a holster (probably a Simply Rugged sourdough pancake), more moonclips than the 3 that come with it, reloading supplies for 38/357, and a few molds.

Congratulations on the promotion and your purchase!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Eagle. And before anyone says it, I will post pictures when it gets in and may post a separate review once I get enough experience with it to do so.

Boolit Master
    See if Ranch Products has the moon clips for it.

Congrats on your promotion Sir. You picked a good one. I’ve had mine for 3 years so far. I got my extra moon clips from Speed Beez, but the Speed loaders from 5 star. I went ahead and got the non finger groove Hogues for gun games, but use Herrett Jordan Troopers when it went out in the woods with me. Now that I’m in grizzly country, it’s gun games only. Enjoy the heck out it, I always do. One of the few N frames besides the 625 that I shoot well.

Boolit Master

Congratulations on the promotion and thank you for serving!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    And less than 36 hours from ordering this young thing is home. I bought and set up dies but it's late so I didn't do any loading besides 8 dummies for reloading practice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Nice wheel gun. I like a revolver you have to make your shots count.

Boolit Master

That is a sweet gun! I hope S&W didn't muck it up!
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    I finally got to shoot it for the first time this weekend. First rounds fired were on the buzzer in steel challenge. I won revolver by default and finished second to last overall but this was my first time shooting the gun. I used 38 Short Colt reloads. 125gr Berry's FP with a 9mm book load of Titegroup and a 158gr Berry's RN with a load of Titegroup corroborated by many 627 Shooters on Enos' Forums. Both loads were real soft. I shot my Glock in Production and took second Production. After reloading moons by hand and unloading them with a deep socket and my booger hooks, I have made an unloader with an 8" copper air chamber and a loader from a piece of wood some bolts, a flange nut, and piece of aluminum flat bar. Both were pretty simple to make and will save my hands and fingers.

I know they are expensive, but you just can't beat the BMT moon clip tools. http://bmtequipped.com/purchase.php

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by readr1 View Post
    I know they are expensive, but you just can't beat the BMT moon clip tools. http://bmtequipped.com/purchase.php
    Eventually but I'll roll with what I made for now. The BMT is a slick little tool.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    This is an old post I found on a search.
    I have been upgrading my Steel Challenge Equipment the last year. My old tried and true 6 shot, 4", 617 loaded with HKS speed loaders went down the road in favor of a 6", 617, 10 shot and Speed Beez Speed Loader with Loading Block in the Case.
    I did not get rid of my 686-5 or my 6" GP100, but I did upgrade to a 627 Pro 8 Shooter as seen above. I picked up several moon clips for it, however after using the Speed Beez loaded in rimfire, I decided to order the Speed Beez 627/8 Shot Speed Loader with Loading Block in the Case for Steel Challenge.
    Shooting Steel Challenge Stages you have only 5 targets per string. If you run an 8 shooter dry you might as well quit anyway. No reload on the clock required. You do however need to reload the revolver either four or five times per Stage. With the Speed Beez Loader with loading block you simply take the Loader out of the storage hole in the Loading Block and clip it on One of your Eight Rounds Clusters of ammunition, and load when instructed. After loading the revolver you simply press the loader down on another Eight Round Cluster ready for the next string.

Why did I decide to use the Speed Beez Loader over the Moon Clips???
    I have been collecting 38 Special Brass for close to 50 years. I have sorted out around 100 different head stamps in my brass stash. Using moon clips I would be required to sort out brass to load that would work with the moon clips I have. Using the Speed Loader I can use any of my 38 Special Cases. If you shoot Steel Challenge you should be familiar with carts to carry equipment from Stage to Stage. My cart is made from an aluminum fold away wheeled dolly. I have added large plastic Bins to it. I position the cart in front of my Shooting Block when I go to shoot the Stage. I eject my brass into the top bin when reloading. I can then sort out the fired brass from un-fired ammo between Stages. Easier than messing with Moon Clips. I am a big moon clip fan, and have owned several S&W 25's, 625's a 610 and a moon clip converted 686 over the years as well as a moon clip 442, and a 9mm SP101. Shooting Steel Challenge I find the Speed Beez Loader to work better than the Moon Clips and associated equipment to load and unload the moon clips.

I just thought I would share some different ideas on how to shoot Steel Challenge with an 8 shot 627.

Bob R
    Last edited by Viper225; 04-24-2020 at 01:21 AM.