RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: Lot of us deal with joint pain some hope here

Lot of us deal with joint pain some hope here

Some of us are dealing with pretty severe joint or similar pain. With the crackdown on opioid pain medications and just the way most pain meds become less effective over time this alternative seemed worth posting. Like that it is specific to the pain nerve, no withdrawal or addiction issues, no constipation, no tolerance built up requiring larger doses. Not playing hob with liver or kidneys.

https://www.wired.com/story/resiniferatoxin/

Apparently this cactus produces a substance that is 10,000 times hotter than the Carolina Reaper which is the hottest pepper. When an extract from this cactus is applied to nerves that are transmitting pain it essentially burns them out. Applied to a damaged joint via an injection one has to be sedated for the treatment and until the burning pain declines but for extended period measured in months following the treatment the nerves for pain will be knocked out. However not the nerves for touch or position etc. so one doesn't become numb just can't feel extremes that would register as pain.

Which does lead to the concern. Without pain you may have a hard time being aware of things such as being too close to a space heater that is burning your skin or scalding hot coffee or molten lead. Some physical actions signal limits being reached with pain. Such as lifting something too heavy or applying too much force. If done for say arthritis in the hands you can see how you might not know you broke a finger if you didn't feel any pain. You are still be able to feel touch for example to do reloading, the sense of touch isn't damaged.
    Some diabetics with neuropathy that leaves them numb all the time deal with this lack of ability to be warned by pain, and it does take paying attention and self examination to avoid injury.

I guess in the harsh environment the cactus grows in food and moisture are scarce so thorns were not enough deterrent, alternative was to become the hottest most pain inducing substance on the planet which should keep anything from eating more than one bite.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Interesting! Hope it helps some people.

Boolit Master
    I use the redox signaling product from ASEA.

Three44s

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I really hope it works. I sure don't take opioids for fun. I'd like to kick em out, if I wasn't hurting.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I really hope it works. I sure don't take opioids for fun. I'd like to kick em out, if I wasn't hurting.
    I hear you. Might be worth following that link and writing down the name of the substance to run by your doctor.

For a long time before my back surgery I had mild opioids as my "chicken switch" I knew if the pain got bad enough I could get some relief which allowed me to continue most activities at a reduced pace or moderated level without having to fear the pain would get so bad I wouldn't be able to sleep or get any relief. Months of pain free would have sounded like manna from heaven.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Maybe someday.

I must say
    A bunch of seniors taking our Vicadon and Tramadol just isn't the issue.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Before you burn out some nerves, try temporary measures. Botox injected into the relevant nerve cluster paralyzes that pain center, for many. If you react well the pain relief can last months.

Boolit Buddy
    I stopped taking the opioids about 18 months ago, went cold turkey, I had the cold shivers and shakes for a week or two, now I get the most relief from anti inflammatories but you have to be careful with those. This cactus product may be worth a look at because you sure get sick of the constant pain.