Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: 11/14/18 Eastwood spray gun is on sale now

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.

11/14/18 Eastwood spray gun is on sale now

Eastwood has their powdercoat gun on sale right now, with free shipping. Just an FYI, if you've been wanting one.

https://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-pow...rwDCeS1BhAYCMA

(I can't give a review of these. I only have two HF guns and a Caswell)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    I have the dual voltage gun, which is like this standard gun, but it has a toggle switch to more than double the voltage. Honestly, I have only used my gun on the upper setting a couple of times when the humidity was really high, so most probably won't need it. I started out with a HF gun and since I purchased my Eastwood the HF just lives in a box. For this price I would jump on either of the Eastwood guns. Also the powder bottles for for the Eastwood are a bargain compared to the HF so you can own a dozen.

Boolit Master
    This looks interesting. How do these type of powder guns work in relation to efficiency vs tumbling in a container. How much waste is there? Can the excess waste powder be reused? What about cleanup? I have been tumbling to powder coat the bullets for about a month now, having what I feel have been good results, using Smoke's powders. What I hate is picking out the coated bullets out of the container full of BB's, with needle nose pliers, orienting them, and standing them up on a cookie sheet for curing. Very tedious and time consuming. Is using the gun better overall?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
    This looks interesting. How do these type of powder guns work in relation to efficiency vs tumbling in a container. How much waste is there? Can the excess waste powder be reused? What about cleanup? I have been tumbling to powder coat the bullets for about a month now, having what I feel have been good results, using Smoke's powders. What I hate is picking out the coated bullets out of the container full of BB's, with needle nose pliers, orienting them, and standing them up on a cookie sheet for curing. Very tedious and time consuming. Is using the gun better overall?
    Tumbling is more efficient and uses less powder than spraying. However spraying does produce a more uniform finish. Spraying allows you to use any powder. For tumbling solid color powders usually work, but the more exotic powders do not. For bullets I only spray hollow points and bulets that require a gas check; both are sprayed on on special trays I built for the purpose. Overspray powder can be collected and reused, but you may have picked up some contaminants in the powder, so I usually use reclaimed powder to spray things like storage cans, etc. I use spray when I coat other things like hand tools, shop equipment, yard tools, outdoor equipment, etc. etc. If it is a nice day with little to no wind I can spray outside, but most of the time I spray inside. I built a 5 sided plexiglass enclosure with a vacuum water filter to spray inside so my cleanup is occasionally brushing off overspray powder that remains in the enclosure.

For tumble coating you can't go wrong using Smoke's powder. That is the reason I suggest everyone first starting out learn how and what it looks like when its right before experimenting. I personally use a home built tumbler that will coat about 300 bullets at a time. I dump from the tumbler into a #5 plastic dishpan which gives me more room to fish out the bullets. I stand my bullets up on silicone baking mats lying on sheetmetal covered wire racks. I have tried numerous tools; pliers of all varieties, hemostats, gloved hands, etc. to pick out the bullets, but so far nothing beats self closing tweezers for speed and ease of placement.

For bullets I use a Hamilton Beach Countertop Convection Oven with 5 racks to cook about 1200 bullets at a time. I monitor my temperature using a Taylor Oven Guide Thermometer placed behind the glass door. For larger items I use a PID controlled 30" convection kitchen wall oven converted for powder coating.