Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman 6.5mm mold

Lyman 6.5mm mold

Having troubles with my Lyman 6.5mm mold (undersized boolits) and my brain seems to recall there was already a thread about this particular problem but I can't find it.

Am i crazy?

Boolit Master

How much is it off and what kind alloy are you using. Softer bullets may drop larger.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    A pound of Linotype in your mix will fill your boolits out.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have an RCBS 6.5mm mold that I think is similar to the Lyman. I’m shooting 6.5x55 se. Most of the older mil surplus seem to like a fatter boolit. Or so I have learned from many on this and other forums. To get a mold that throws larger boolits, as far as I have found, it needs to be special ordered.

Maybe yours is defective and you can get a replacement. What size boolits are you getting and what are you using for your alloy.

You can go the powder coating route to gain some diameter.

Casting a little cooler may give you a little more diameter, especially if you were casting really hot.

Some casters beguil the mold to get a larger boolit. I have not tried this yet, but maybe will soon. To do it, you use a piece of tape, I presume aluminum so it can take the heat and put it between the mold halves. This produces a larger, but no longer round boolit. Then you size it to a larger size than you could before. I guess the sizing brings the boolit back to round, but with the the extra material from being beguiled, the diameter is larger.

Good luck and maybe others will have additional or even better advice.

Check with NOE as they larger diameter bullets and Buffalo Arms makes larger sizing dies do go with those bullets

Moderator Emeritus

I had a Lyman 2 cav 266469 (loverin) that dropped a undersized boolit, that is, undersized for my use. I have a Jap custom Type 38 that slugged at .2685
    So I beagled the mold with HVAC tape to get a boolit up to .269 I'd TL it then seat a GC and push it through a .269 size die then TL it again. I think a Loverin type boolit is better suited to Beagling then other styles, due to the multiple driving bands/lube grooves.

PS, Gator copper 6.5 GCs didn't work on the beagled boolit, so I used a custom ordered alum 270 GC from Sage Outdoors.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001