RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: Winchester 1885 first year production

Boolit Master

Winchester 1885 first year production

Will a .382" bullet chamber using starline long .38-55 cases. That is what the bore is measuring. I don't have any cerosafe to get a chamber cast and I'm eager to get it to the range.

Boolit Master
    I have three original High Walls whose groove diameters are all at least 0.379”. Had to get a special mould from Accurate, but I think Lee makes an oversized mould too. Both slightly oversized clones of the Ideal 375248 250 grainer.

I was worried about the old “how will it fit with that fat boolit in the shell” issue, but all three have chambers that are cavernous enough to handle the expanded case mouths and fat boolits.

My shells are ancient Rem-UMC, WRA and Western, that were the full original length. No problem.

If my experiences are any indication, you should be fine. But don’t bother with trying to use the standard 0.375” boolits from modern production moulds. They won’t hit a tea saucer consistently at 50 yards with those old rifles. Don’t ask me how I know this.

Boolit Master

If your .382 boolits will chamber, go ahead and shoot 'em. One of the most accurate rifles I own is a repro Highwall with a .379 groove dia. loaded with 'as cast' (.381/.382) 275 or 305 grainers.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Maybe you can get your hands on a few bullets of the size you need and make up a cartridge to check? That's probably the only real way to know, as other's guns could be slightly different than yours.

Boolit Grand Master

Or simply fire form a couple cases with no bullet a charge of powder and inert filler with a light wad and measure the cases ID after to see what it will take. Keep in mind you want a little "extra" for bullet release when firing (.001)

Boolit Master
    Good to know, thanks fellas. Its measuring .3825". I'm thinking about getting Jared at Arsenal to cut one of his #379499 molds to .383" and then using a .384" lube sizer die so I can lube them as cast. But just to be sure I'm going to measure the bore again. Its a pretty nice rifle a standard model 1885 with a winchester sporting tang sight and I think a single set trigger. I can't wait to see what the old girl can do.

Boolit Master

I had a neck and throat reamer made up for just that problem. I have two 38-55 chamber reamers and they are both set up for the .375 groove diameter so a case with a .381 bullet will not chamber. The neck and throat reamer took care of the problem.

Boolit Master
    Well I got a chance to put it all together today. It turns out my rounds are .004" too large to chamber so it looks like I'll be sizing the bullets down to .380" and see if they fit. The max diameter at the case mouth is .3922" and mine are measuring .396" using the .382" diameter bullet and stopping about 3/16" from chambering. You can see on the brass about 1/10" back from the case mouth a Very Very Faint rub mark where the case drags when it almost is seated. I was hoping it was a bulge from too much crimp but my die is adjusted to seat without crimping. Who'da thunk a 133 year old rifle would have such a tight chamber. The adventure continues

Boolit Master
    The Starline long .38-55 brass seems to average about 0.0075" thick so you'll likely need a bullet around 0.377". This sort of thing is not uncommon on the original rifles. If you are shooting black powder, a soft bullet will work at that size and have no trouble bumping up to seal.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    You could breech seat the bullets and use the cases as they came from the gun and use the .384 or so boolits.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    You could breech seat the bullets and use the cases as they came from the gun and use the .384 or so boolits.
    That would definitely be the way to get the most accuracy out of it.

Chris.