WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please make sure of your target

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I’ve hunted people and deer. Neither one can be confused for the other. Throw that sorry hunter in jail for the long haul.
    Yessir. Same traffic.

And then you have Inyo National Forest Supervisors that organize "Hike-In Weekends" for the opening weekends of the X-Zone deer hunts in California's Sierra Nevada east slope. I don't know if this massive brain fart is still in effect, but it was for much of the time I lived in Ridgecrest at the Sierra's south end. You have to wonder at the reckless stupidity of such public policy--was this done in some sorry attempt to cause the "poor deer" to flee the combined incursion of hikers and deer hunters (thereby reducing kill rates), or was the intent to fill the back-country with people-density to enhance the percentages of an accidental shooting (to justify closures and prohibitions). Assuming good faith on the part of California's way-left shotcaller cadre is always a mistake.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Years I spent at the New Mexico Boys Ranch teaching Hunter Safety classes before hunting seasons. We worked there 29 years. It is in the book!! Always be sure of your target and what is behind it. The class did not end ever! We taught the kids all year long doing live fire in small groups of five young men a few times each year. We used only two single shot rifles. We explained every situation that we could think of that was behind the target and what it really means to be sure of your target. We taught ethics by describing situations of what you would do when no one was watching. You know how to act when you are with your peers, so how do you act when alone? Do you act the same? Then if you don't break a rule when alone, you have learned to be ethical. The boys really paid attention to this. Before we came to the BR, there was a lot of stealing from each other in the building with sixteen boys. We noticed the stealing diminished after the ethics teaching. We had a film that was shown named "This little bullet" and it mainly talked about personal responsibilty of identifying the target and no, you cannot change anything after the trigger is pulled. You are the one that is responsible.......We need to have a thread about how many have experienced someone shooting at a deer on top of a ridge with the bullets flying just overhead whining then boom boom or bullets start passing by your head while still hunting along a creek.

Another rule of thumb to follow is legal start/stop times. If I can't see color...its not legal yet. The eyes switch from using rods in the low light times where you can only perceive black/gray/white....then when light is strengthened the cones come into play and have a broad spectrum of wavelengths of light that can be detected....hence seeing in color.

Until it's light enough to see color...DON'T shoot.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I’ve hunted people and deer. Neither one can be confused for the other. Throw that sorry hunter in jail for the long haul.
    Not only this, but he should be made to pay for the funeral and pay the family $20,000 for the loss of a loved one.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    A lot of nitwits out there and too many have guns.
    And cars, and chainsaws, and grand pianos...

Boolit Master
    Actually such an incident will cost a whole lot more than 20 K,wrong full death suit could have you eating ramen noodles for a very long time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw. View Post
    I disagree. If I want to walk around the woods during hunting season I have every right and di so all the time. I use my head but I do so. That hunter is completely in the wrong, you don’t shoot what you are not sure of, period. Short of her wearing a brown fuzzy jacket and some antlers on her head that all his (assuming) fault. When Im huntin my rifle doesn’t even get pointed at something until Im DAM sure its a game animal.

What a travesty.
    You'd be more likely than not to wind up injured around here. I don't go into the woods around here without hunter orange and then only to check on my property. I live in a rural area and leased land is mostly for out of state hunters. You are also right, you do have the right to walk around in the woods during hunting season, but you also are increasing your odds of personal harm. Not so much from being shot, but from a angry hunter that paid $5000 + for a hunting spot and you just ruined his entire trip. Good luck to you.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Unfortunately, the world is getting smaller and smaller and everyone is competing for the use of wilderness areas. Public and private. People are human and make mistakes. It seems we are more prone to do so when charged with adrenaline, a throw back to or primal beginnings when we needed it to survive.

Both sides need to do the most possible to reduce the risk. I am all for blaze orange clothing. Especially hats too. Maybe hikers could wear bells. Maybe not popular with hunters.

And most of all in the morning, as if saying a prayer, we should recite all the do’s and don’ts associated with responsable hunting with our fellow hunters or to ourselves if we hunt alone.

I posted this way back in November..
    Charges filed yesterday against the man (hunter) that killed the woman.

Seems they drug tested him and he was positive for methamphetamine AND marijuana. Manslaughter
    Don't do illegal drugs and hunt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Safety 101: you're even supposed to be aware of what's beyond your target, so no excuse whatsoever for mistaken target...doesn't matter if they're not supposed to be there...don't shoot without being 100% certain of what you're about to kill...

Boolit Master

My take, both parties were at fault. In Illinois we have a hunter harassment law. I live around 3 miles from where the problem began... We have a small county park near us that held hundreds of deer, many years ago the state tried to open it to hunters because the herd was being genetically affected by having an almost closed breeding community. There were some really funny looking deer after many generations. The day of the season a bunch of university students, mainly girls decided that they should not be hunted and took to the woods to disrupt the hunt. Pictures were taken of girls peeing on trees, deer trails and walking around beating buckets and drums. Hygiene products were changed and left on deer trails and hunters were yelled at by stationary people.

Now if this becomes a problem the state resorts to shooting deer with rifles to thin herds and the meet is wasted in most cases. I think our law states you must wear orange and must have a valid hunting license to be in the woods during season. It also carries a pretty hefty fine if you are found guilty of harassment.

But, I will not shoot a target without positive ID and I have raised my daughters to think about what is behind that target and the affect that elevation has on their shot placement. These are some things that we have discussed at great lengths behind a pistol, rifle or slug gun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    I posted this way back in November..
    Charges filed yesterday against the man (hunter) that killed the woman.

Seems they drug tested him and he was positive for methamphetamine AND marijuana. Manslaughter
    Don't do illegal drugs and hunt.

on drugs to boot, just hang him from the nearest tree!

Boolit Grand Master
    When I was alot younger, a friend and I were out hunting prairie dogs on a piece of property we had permission to hunt. Parked my old Suburban (blue and grey) in the field and started to try our luck.

road bisecting the property. We were having lunch by the truck when the bullets started whizzing by. couple guys on the county road were shooting from the road, at the prairie dogs between them and my truck. Let them know in our own way that they shouldn't do that. don't think they even looked past where they were shooting to see where the bullets might be going, and the fellow shooting his 30 carbine ,jumped back in their car and took off down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    My take, both parties were at fault. In Illinois we have a hunter harassment law. I live around 3 miles from where the problem began... We have a small county park near us that held hundreds of deer, many years ago the state tried to open it to hunters because the herd was being genetically affected by having an almost closed breeding community. There were some really funny looking deer after many generations. The day of the season a bunch of university students, mainly girls decided that they should not be hunted and took to the woods to disrupt the hunt. Pictures were taken of girls peeing on trees, deer trails and walking around beating buckets and drums. Hygiene products were changed and left on deer trails and hunters were yelled at by stationary people.

Now if this becomes a problem the state resorts to shooting deer with rifles to thin herds and the meet is wasted in most cases. I think our law states you must wear orange and must have a valid hunting license to be in the woods during season. It also carries a pretty hefty fine if you are found guilty of harassment.

But, I will not shoot a target without positive ID and I have raised my daughters to think about what is behind that target and the affect that elevation has on their shot placement. These are some things that we have discussed at great lengths behind a pistol, rifle or slug gun.
    Well, she was taking pictures of a dilapidated house just off the road. Wasn't wandering aimlessly in the woods. Nuff said

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    REALLY?
    Man, I am sorry......there is NO excuse for "...mistaking her for a deer".....NONE WHATSOEVER!
    Absolutely agree with FISH4BUGS. NO EXCUSE WHATEVER

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Absolutely agree with FISH4BUGS. NO EXCUSE WHATEVER
    And I can't believe the number on here who would assign any blame to the woman that was shot! I hunt, but I don't duck hunt and I couldn't tell you when duck season opens and closes, and you think a non- hunter should know is deer season and wear orange? Please!

Boolit Grand Master

Most states laws requarding discharge of a firearm wether target shooting hunting or self defense read: You are responsible for the projectile until it has expanded all its energy. Not hit the intended target or backstop. until it is literally on/in the ground not moving. Hunters and shooters not only need to be aware of the target and have it identified but also whats beyond it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Most states laws requarding discharge of a firearm wether target shooting hunting or self defense read: You are responsible for the projectile until it has expanded all its energy. Not hit the intended target or backstop. until it is literally on/in the ground not moving. Hunters and shooters not only need to be aware of the target and have it identified but also whats beyond it.
    I agree. The primary rules listed below are from the MN. hunter-ed.com site. Even kids, as well as adults are taught these 4 primary rules & need to know them before passing the course to go hunt.

The Four Primary Rules of Firearm Safety:

1) Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.

2)Always keep the muzzle in a safe direction

3)Be sure of your target and beyond.

4)Keep your finger outside the trigger guard until ready to shoot.

Source:https://www.hunter-ed.com/minnesota/...024_700103139/

I do not blame the woman. I blame the hunter.

It would have been prudent for her to wear bright colors &/or orange while out hunting, but it is still the hunters responsibility to know(Identify) the target & what is beyond before firing a shot.

There are instances where someone hunting turkey shot someone else thinking they were a turkey because they were wearing red ( like a red bandana) & the hunter shot because they "thought" it was "wattle" of the turkey. A "wattle" is the part of the turkey below the neck that engorges with blood & is red colored.

Once again, Hunter mistake & fault.

IMO...Those who are blaming the woman need to re-consider their thinking on who is responsible when one is shooting something.

It is the one squeezing the trigger who is responsible for where the projectiles go & what it/they might hit. Same with a bow or a crossbow & even a slingshot.

Last thought... If some kid in your neighborhood was target shooting at a can when you drive up & park your car in line of fire & he misses he can & hits your car.

Is it YOUR fault for it?

Think about it... please.

{Yes, accidents of all sorts happen, but each of us should be responsible that we are NOT the CAUSE of an accident, if we can. Had that hunter followed the rule(s), this woman may not have been shot...}
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

This one will make you almost punk thinking about it. A father and son were bow hunting for deer. The son left camp first and got in his tree stand before daylight. Some time later the father was walking to his location to hunt. The son mistook his father for a deer and shot his father before daylight. As it became daylight the son discovered his mistake. His father did die and the son was not charged.
    This happened in WV about 35 years ago. I was squirrel hunting in the area.

Boolit Master
    Once I encountered an idiot riding a mountain bike in the woods in public land during hunting season. He said he didn’t like people hunting ... seemed to be riding around to disrupt it. No orange on, had woods colored clothes. Told him he would probably make a fine trophy for some hunter with poor eyesight.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12