Load DataWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for a bolt action S. shot or Mag. fed .308 Win Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    JB- a used 700 Remington will either still have sights or the holes to install them. You can't say that about Rugers, Savage,etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    That is true but have you tried to use the iron sights on those rifles? They had the drop for a scope and were a bear to line up with iron sights. I saw some I could hardly get down on to see the sights. Some were not too bad. Better to get a lever action like a good Marlin where you can use both. Just won't be a 308.

DEP

Boolit Master

Deer hunting last Saturday.
    Wind was blowing in waves and I am standing there eating peanuts, of course, I can't sit still. There is a rustle and a couple crunches and a nice doe is starring me down 10' away while eating another peanut, gun is leaning up against the tree.
    I reach for the gun slowly and she explodes. I'll be danged if I didn't have that scope on high power and never got a shot off.

I hunt in the woods most of the time and know how you feel about Scopes. Get yourself a rifle with open sites!

308's are nice! but don't limit yourself if a rifle comes running at you at a great price. 30-06s are great, little longer action adds little bit of weight, brass is laying everywhere, but deer or bear will never know the difference.

Boolit Master
    I've a Savage 110FP heavy barrelled one in the rynite stock. Because of the flexing of the stock I had to glass bed the front receiver ring and about an inch of the barrel. All those pockets in that stock did bupkis for stability. After bedding had a nice snug fir and added a flanged pillar of stainless steel fro the front trigger guard screw. the plastic was so soft that the head of the receiver screw would progressively chew up the stock. with the flange it had solid metal to bear against both at the receiver and the flange itself which wasn't much larger that the screw head. After that it did consecutive 1" groups with some old 7,62 match I had laying around at the house. I played around with the trigger and actually gout it down to 3 lbs. So if you have a choice get wither a wood stock or one of the aftermarket ones with a bedding block. Which is what I should have done. My second choice would be one of the old now discontinued Remington Sendero's throw out the trigger and go for one of the timney Calvin Elite with the two stage trigger. Seriously considering this on my 40x with 27.5" stainless barrel. Expensive yes. But I feel that after all you've invested in the rifle,optics,scope mounts and ammo and coponents its worth it. Frank
    Last edited by samari46; 11-23-2018 at 02:52 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If you have a variable power scope, you just plain HAVE to be OCD about dialing the magnification back to the same power every time you are done - VX2 3x9's I'd always dial to 4x as that was my standard; It's darn hard to acquire anything when you don't do that. Good luck on your search

Don't use high powered variable scopes for hunting up close. My 35R carries a 1.5X4.5 and my 30-30 a 1.75X5. I only have a 2X7 on my Creedmoor and it worked at 200 yards. 3X9's can be had the cheapest but I really am not a total fan of them. Before every scope was made a variable I shot a buck at 280 steps from my tree with a 2 1/2 power with a post. Lowered powered scopes are very practical.

DEP

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    Deer hunting last Saturday.
    Wind was blowing in waves and I am standing there eating peanuts, of course, I can't sit still. There is a rustle and a couple crunches and a nice doe is starring me down 10' away while eating another peanut, gun is leaning up against the tree.
    randy, she was just dying for a peanut!!!! Shoulda offered her one!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Savage Hog Hunter in 308 it has open sights and I bought a Boyds Stock for mine and I really like it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12