Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a bolt action S. shot or Mag. fed .308 Win Please.

Boolit Master

Suggestions for a bolt action S. shot or Mag. fed .308 Win Please.

I am looking to obtain another rifle. A .308 bolt action rifle either one, single shot or mag. fed one but I think I would prefer a mag fed one.

My budget right now is around $3-400. I realize there are some that cost much more, but that is all I have saved up right now to work with & Christmas is coming & I have that to deal with as well. On a limited budget, so It takes along time for me to save up enough to go higher in price. I am not in a rush, but would like to get one before the end of the year.

I do not want a "scope only" rifle. I prefer iron sights & I can always add a scope from some that I have already if I would want to do so in the future. Looking for ones without scope & just iron sights has been a bit of a chore for me as it seems everyone wants a scope & not the iron sights for some reason that escapes me.

Wood preferred of course, but composite is OK.

I am just asking for some suggestions from you folks & your experiences. I have been looking here & there, but with out going to a lot of places to check them out in person , I thought asking here would keep me narrowed down to ones that have a somewhat "proven" history for being decent for the price paid.

Any assistance in doing this would be appreciated, and Thanks!, in advance, for any who might be able to help me out with leads, choices, experiences & info.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Savage seams to be a good shooting budget rifle if you are looking for a new rifle in that price range . I enjoy cruising the used rack after hunting season .

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Savage seams to be a good shooting budget rifle if you are looking for a new rifle in that price range . I enjoy cruising the used rack after hunting season .
    Nothing to disagree with in this statement.

If you aren't in a big hurry, prices for used guns in pawnshops and elsewhere usually go down after hunting season.

In addition to Savage; older Remington's and Howa's no matter the importer (S&W, Mossberg??, and Weatherby Vanguard) tend to be good shooters. Also there were a plethora of Mauser 98 clones built as sporting rifles, the trick is finding just what you want at a price you can afford.

Good Luck

Robert

At the budget you laid out, a used Savage model 110 with the hardwood stock will probably be your best bet. However for every 308 you find, there will be 5 .270s and 10 30-06s.
    If you settle for a synthetic stock, Your choices are much broader at that price point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The Thompson Center Compass is worth a look. They usually have a rebate going on and various stores have them on sale often too. The Remington 783 is worth checking out too. They tend to come already equipped with a 3x9 scope too. Granted it is a budget scope, but it works.

Boolit Master
    Last year 2 of my younger brothers got savage hog hunters in 308 when they went on sale around Christmas , they love them and they shoot good with them one likes a scope and one likes his with open sights . Now I'm turned off by a savage m 12 I have in 223 , but it's just because I love a smooth bolt action and looking into that receiver just don't look right . But dam if it didn't put the holes on top of each other or near about . I haven't tried a axis yet but by all accounts they should shoot . After saying all that I'm a Winchester m 70 fellow just because they feel right to me . Take your time and enjoy the hunt for your next rifle !!!

Boolit Master

I've been considering the Mossberg Patriot #27861. I've seen a couple, read the reviews, and seen them used on TV hunts. Wood & metal is outstanding and the accuracy is as good as it gets. I can get it from a local Davidson's dealer for $439. Magazines are avialable from Mossberg online, they are half the cost of most Savage magazines or at least the ones that I've bought.

When it comes to bolt actions, I'm a Savage guy, my rifle is a 10FCM Scout. It is one of the best hunting rifles I've owned. I personally like the scout concept, especially for field carry at the rifle's balance point. If there was a scout mount for the Mossberg Patriot, it would already be here.

As a note, my second rifle when I was a kid was a Mossberg 800A. I didn't appreciate the accuracy of the rifle at the time, it was a single hole shooter. I just thought they were all supposed to be like that and the 800s were know for that. I made some incredible shots with that rifle. I took my military leave during deer season and would spend most of it in a tent near the Texas/Mexico border hunting whitetails with the Mossberg.

Michael

Boolit Master
    JB:

Have you looked at the Henry Single Shot rifles?

I'm interested in one in .357 magnum, but I just ordered
    new tires and steel wheels for my truck. Oh well.....

I bought a Savage Axis which you can get with a scope for about $300. It shoots well and I have just taken two deer with it. Bought a Boyd's stock for it recently for about $165 with postage. Now it even looks nice. That is an option. Buy the rifle then save up for the stock. Bolt actions do not come with iron sights anymore. At least any I have seen. Savage makes other models that might fit your needs but the wood is not that great of a deal.

DEP

Boolit Master

I just recently came across a Ruger model 77 in .308 for $375.00
    I don't know much about that model but the finish and operation seemed pretty good.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    I bought a Mossberg MVP Patrol 308 about six months ago. It was under $500 at the sale price. What I wanted was a new rifle with a threaded barrel and factory installed iron sights. The fiberoptic front sight was a bonus. It shoots quite well with that short 16" barrel and jacketed but I have spent several months on an adventure trying to get it to shoot cast boolits. I finally found the right load(s) and boolits in the last couple weeks. It turns out the rifle likes heavier boolits, slower powders, and higher velocities than my other 308's with the same twists. I finally pulled the scope and the P. rail to just use the irons a month ago and all is well. The reason I wanted the iron sights was for black bear in our local thickets where a scope is a true handicap for the inevitable up close "snap shot" since no bait is allowed here. The rifle comes with a 10 shot mag and it feeds well but a friend gave me one of his military mags and it fits perfectly (can't imagine ever needing a 20 round mag however). I haven't chronographed my new load yet but I suspect it will be about 2100 fps with the 178 gr RNGC boolit. The powder is 3031.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 11-15-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

You say magazine fed. Do you mean detachable box magazine? That’s gonna limit you quite a bit of so. There are quite a few good budget guns in your 3-400 price range even new.

Boolit Master
    Yes the both the factory and the military magazine are box mags and are slick feeding.

Vendor Sponsor

I really like my 70s Ruger M77 in .308 it is scoped, takes 5 rounds poked in from the top, can release the floor plate for a quick unloading which is handy. I would think a new or lightly used Ruger American with synthetic stock would be a good solution too.

Academy Sports was the first hit that Google turned up and they have one in stock for 379.00 with 22" matte finish barrel, 4 rounds capacity, 6lb 12oz.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Thanks again for the suggestions!

I am slowly going thru them as they are posted.
    I am not in a big hurry, but as I said I would like to try to find & buy one by the end of the year if I can.

In answer to the "Mag fed" question. Yes, I am considering a detachable magazine as well as single shot.

The biggest request I am trying to find & what seems to be the hardest to find as well, is finding iron sights that are factory installed already. Like I said before, there are way more options for scoped rifles, but that is not what I am really trying to find.

I really appreciate you folks taking the time to respond & try to help.

Thanks again & I will keep all of the suggestions under consideration no matter the suggestion.

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Ruger 788 used would be in your price range I got two for 400 and 350 with scopes the 400 one had a real nice scope on it to

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0109.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	230438

If you look at the rifle, I had a cheap Tasco Red Dot mounted at that time. I was still hunting and leaning up against an oak when that buck came out running through the brush. It was coming right at me, I wonder if it did not think I might have been a doe form the previous noise I made and then stopped. It was going under a downfall and I shot it at about 10-15 feet. Not problem picking up the sight. I also shot a deer across a field at over 100 yards using another sight just like it mounted on an old Turkish Mauser. They are a versatile sight and quicker than a set of iron sights. Irons sights are not needed.

DEP

JB- a used 700 Remington will either still have sights or the holes to install them. You can't say that about Rugers, Savage,etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Thanks again for the tips & suggestions.

I am going to try to get over to a good sized regional gun shop called Ahlmans,(SP?)over by Elysian, MN or that general area, in the next week or so to look over the used & new rifles. Maybe I will see something there that I can shoot & try out and fits what I am looking for.

I was out looking at some new rifles today, but the missus was getting impatient with me, so I had to hustle along without getting any up close & personal look overs. Just had to peer at the rifles & tags in the cabinets.
    Next time I go alone or with a buddy. She thinks I have to many "toys" already. LOL Like there is such a thing?

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Buddy
    He who dies with the most toys...WINS. I live by these wise words. Now go hunting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast