RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: grip safety 1911

Boolit Buddy

grip safety 1911

I'm looking for a beavertail grip safety for a 1911 for use with a standard SPUR hammer. Tried Brownells and no joy. Can't find one with a google search. Anyone have a source for these? Any help would be appreciated.
    John

I believe this is what you want/need: https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...nt=087-000-124

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned
    Depending on your definition of beavertail, that may be a bit difficult. While there are plenty of beavertail grip safeties compatible with ring type hammer spurs, there's just less room for a standard spur at full cock with a large beavertail.

Vendor Sponsor

I use the standard WWII grip safety with the wide flange WWII hammers. I have used the hi rise beavertails but not with a spur hammer and I really don't see much advantage over the WWII era parts.

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I believe this is what you want/need: https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...nt=087-000-124

This safety is made for a Commander-style hammer.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks fellas , but that one won't work with the standard spur hammer. I have fat hand and the standard safety let's the hammer bite me pretty bad. I don't want to change the hammer because it is factory stock, from 1968 and it has a better pull than a modern 1911. I guess I'm just used to it.

Maybe one of these will help, if you can find one. They were made by King Gunsight/ King's Gunworks in the Los Angeles area, but they are out of business. The part is a drop-in, not as attractive as some of the more recently manufactured ones, but "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". A gap exists between the frame and safety -- no problem that I've ever seen. If I remember correctly, I bought 5 of these at one time in the distant past, and installed them on various pistols in my accumulation. It seems to me that some of them required no modification at all for an unmodified spur hammer, but this one required a dished area to be ground in it's top. The hammer spur on this pistol is modified, but still thumb-cockable. If interested, you might find one by contacting the various parts houses.Attachment 230359Attachment 230361

Boolit Buddy

Thank you sir.
    John