Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet

I live in a rural area with no options for cable or DSL. I tried Hughes Net once and had terrible experiences with it. But that was a number of years ago and hopefully they have improved. I just don’t want to take a chance with them again. Plus bad weather knocks out the service.
    I found a fixed wireless internet company “Nexus Systems” a year or so ago that offered 3 Mbps up and down. I opted for it. That worked to my satisfaction until I retired. I’m paying $65.50 a month for that service
    I could stream a movie without buffering.
    I now have a 4K TV and I can’t stream a 4K movie with 3Mbps down.
    Other problems are the tower goes out several times a day for short periods of time and has been down for several days at least a couple times.
    The good things, weather doesn’t affect it. I had a no data limit.

AT&T just recently added a Fixed Wireless Internet for my area so I checked into it. The Installation and service Tech for AT&T is my cousin so I questioned him about it and did a bit of research.

I opted to have the service installed and bundled in with my DirecTV. I’ll be saving $26 a month since swapping service.
    The service is $50 a month with a 170GB Cap; if I go over I get 50GB more for $10 up to $200. But I don’t see the wife and me exceeding the Cap since we don’t game and only watch a few movies a week.

AT&T guarantees 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up but my cousin says most people he has hooked up get 25Mbps down or more and around 10Mbps up.

I’m getting it hooked up this afternoon. I pray it works well compared to what I had.

I'll let you know before long.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

wish we had a fixed wireless provider here.

we have 1.5mbit dsl and only get 0.8mbit.
    they warned us ahead of time.

had one way satellite when it first came out then two way.
    hated the fair access policy.

have a nice ham radio tower a wifi yagi would look sweet on.
    just no offerings out here, yet?

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Buddy
    About the same story here, tried Hughes net and was terrible too. Have been on a local wireless system at 3m down and 1.5 up and works fine. Dumped directv and got the Wi-Fi based directv now. Works off of a roku and it automatically throttles down the resolution so it doesn't stop to buffer. Does everything but 4k video, but, would if I had the speed. It's 49 now and considering their 6m service for 69.00. Also run the telephone thru the WiFi with a Ooma box.

Boolit Grand Master

170 GB is not a lot. I suggest you look at how much data a 4K stream eats up. Just wanted to make you aware if you aren’t. 4K is a data hog of the highest order.

I had Hughesnet through Dish( same satellite, same junky internet) for the past three years. Had a guy mention to me the other day a cellphone company (small local) that offers internet pretty reasonable for some areas up here. I had never heard of the company, but have heard of similar things. Check around and if you are close to line of site of cell towers, it might be offered.
    And Yep, 170gigs is not much if you are streaming. I'd hit my 50g limit without any streaming.

Finally have a fiber system through our power company. Rural systems are being installed here and there and it works really well. close to gigabit throughput.

Fixed Wireless Internet IIRC that is a local wireless hi-gain repeater, inexpensive solution but yes, probably data rate is low. They may use fiber or cable to the interface. Lots better than dialup. Siriusxm is doing the same thing.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Talk with your local phone repair tech....the guy that climbs the pole. I had the same problem when I moved here and AT&T said land line. I was way the heck out in the sticks. I was desperate and said okay and got an additional number. The tech came to install a separate line and looked at the distance. About 200 yards down a hill, down a 60 foot cliff, across a river, back up the other side of the cliff, across a road to a pole. He said, "ain't no way I'm stringing that wire" and started figuring. Went away and came back two days later and asked what number they gave me. Checked with the office and told me to cancel my original number and he'd be back in two days. Came back, called the office and had them do some computerized line switching, hooked up my line and I have 9 gig DSL since. Sometimes the phone company don't care about the customers and the tech does as he has to deal with the customer. Keep after them until they give you what you want. With me, the old number wasn't DSL compatible and the new one was. They tried to route me the Hughes net option but I was quickly warned away from that. Glad I didn't go that route./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    I live in a rural area with no options for cable or DSL. I tried Hughes Net once and had terrible experiences with it. But that was a number of years ago and hopefully they have improved. I just don’t want to take a chance with them again. Plus bad weather knocks out the service.
    I found a fixed wireless internet company “Nexus Systems” a year or so ago that offered 3 Mbps up and down. I opted for it. That worked to my satisfaction until I retired. I’m paying $65.50 a month for that service
    I could stream a movie without buffering.
    I now have a 4K TV and I can’t stream a 4K movie with 3Mbps down.
    Other problems are the tower goes out several times a day for short periods of time and has been down for several days at least a couple times.
    The good things, weather doesn’t affect it. I had a no data limit.

AT&T just recently added a Fixed Wireless Internet for my area so I checked into it. The Installation and service Tech for AT&T is my cousin so I questioned him about it and did a bit of research.

I opted to have the service installed and bundled in with my DirecTV. I’ll be saving $26 a month since swapping service.
    The service is $50 a month with a 170GB Cap; if I go over I get 50GB more for $10 up to $200. But I don’t see the wife and me exceeding the Cap since we don’t game and only watch a few movies a week.

AT&T guarantees 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up but my cousin says most people he has hooked up get 25Mbps down or more and around 10Mbps up.

I’m getting it hooked up this afternoon. I pray it works well compared to what I had.

I'll let you know before long.
    I’m really curious, do they deliver your video over the internet connection, over the satellite connection, or over either depending upon what video service you’re watching?

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I’m really curious, do they deliver your video over the internet connection, over the satellite connection, or over either depending upon what video service you’re watching?
    Been working on this stuff all afternoon. I still have a few bugs to work out with a new router. But the service is great so far. I'm running average 27Mbps down and 6Mbps up.

To answer your question the best I understand it, I still have DirecTv through satellite and still watch it through satellite. If I choose to watch a Netflix or Amazon movie, it comes through internet. I can rent 4K or other movies through my satellite "slim offerings in 4K". Most everything is what I call regular or HD. 4K is becoming more popular so I'll see more of that in the future. Netflix or Amazon, I think have some 4K stuff but I don't plan to watch that much 4K stuff rented.

Man, this laptop is a lot faster. It's amazing how fast web pages load.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam