RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buyer Beware Or Seller Be Crooked?

Boolit Master

Buyer Beware Or Seller Be Crooked?

I was looking for another grinder, didn't need it, but I wanted a LEM. I was thinking of getting at least a #8, but then I seen a #12 on craigslist for $450, with foot control and what was listed as a jerky slicer/tenderizer. The pictures were to ones from the LEM website, so I looked at the site and called and asked if he would take $400 for the set, he agreed. When I went to see it, the auger was not one of the big bite versions, ok no problem there. Then the only plate he had was the course plate, along with the knife, no other plates, tubes or even the meat pusher. When I mentioned this he knocked another $25 off, I thought this was a decent deal.

Well, when I get home to order the missing medium and fine plates, I look up the model number and find that this was a discontinued model, somewhere between 12-15 YO. The seller had said it was only a "couple" years old, and had been only been used a couple times, he had also mentioned that a son, or nephew had done the listing. I also find that one of the replacement gears is plastic, something I did not want, so without disassembling, I think it may give me issues down the road seeing as to how old it is. Oh, and the other piece turned out to be just a meat tenderizer, not a jerky slicer.

I called him to let him know the info, and he pretty much said he considered it an as-is sale, though I feel it was not as advertised, I have decided to let it go, and have taken this as a learning experience. I guess if this lasts me a few more years I will have gotten my moneys worth, but am disappointed, mostly at myself. for not doing better research. I guess I could sell the tenderizer for about $150 to even out the loss a bit since I have not had to use one before, or maybe try it first and find it makes better steaks.

So, how do you guys handle both of these sides? Me, I try and advertise what I am selling to the best of my ability, if someone shows me where I am wrong I will try and make it right. When I buy, I seldom complain unless I feel I was misled, even if I find later the price was too high.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

I do like you. You live and learn. For your replacement gear. Order a new one that way its the correct size. Then take it to a machine shop and have a metal one made. Then if you want you can send it back and get your money back.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

when buying used, it is always, always buyer beware.

Boolit Master

Sorry for your troubles.

I've bought a couple of things off Craigslist, and looked at a few more locally.
    My Daughter bought a "WingChair" of craigslist. Only to have a leg break off 2 days later. It was threaded on and the threaded metal shaft had already been broken and superglued.

We no longer buy from Craigslist.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 11-13-2018 at 07:32 PM. Reason: removed offensive comment
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    when buying used, it is always, always buyer beware.
    It is not just Craigslist! I have been scammed by those on the gun forums both as a buyer and seller. Lots of reasons to be very careful, the parasites are in every venue and it will only get worse as ethics and mores are distant concepts to 'people'.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

Well. good news, sort of anyway; just got off the phone with LEM, they said the gear is metal, looks like plastic on the pic but its metal. They also said most parts are available so there is that. The plates and blades seem to be some of the best I've seen, made by Salvinox, very sharp and seem to be precision ground stainless steel. I ordered the same brand of plates so should last me some time to come. The tenderizer is another issue, seems if I want to convert it, it will be almost $150 so it stays a tenderizer, and may still sell it.

Anyone use a tenderizer for venison...or steak for that matter?
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...nd-32-grinders
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    everything I sell used is clearly and without hestation stated as is where is theres a reason I selling, here it is do you want it or not? I always disclose any past or foreseeable problems but then again what do expect when your only paying 50.00 for a vehicle with 500000+ miles on it? so far one complaint in 40+years the guy said it ran for 2yrs before it ran out of oil (which he never ckd and admitted to it) jokingly he wondered if there might be goodwill warranty!!!!!!

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

LEM makes good stuff. They keep parts for their discontinued stuff but the #12 is still available. I believe it was the #10 that they discontinued? I have had one of their #5 grinder for years and it does excellent except it needed a little more HP for semi frozen meat. I ordered a #12 last week. It should be here this week. Plus I needed at least a #8 or large to run the meat mixer that I just bought.
    I have the tenderizer, and their Maxvax 1000 vacuum sealer. The vacuum sealer is the best I've ever had and I've owned several of the Foodsaver models.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Grand Master

My Dad had a habit of only buying new products like this from a store. Said I don't want someone else's problems . From a store ...I can return it . He kept boxes and receipts for proof of age and for any warranty work.
    I have bought a few used items , but always assume they are as is and inspect them closely.
    A food grinder I would not have purchased used unless from a family member and I knew the history.

Buying used from a stranger is a roll of the dice...
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

i always "talk down" what i'm selling.
    i don't get top dollar but hopefully a satisfied buyer.

i also don't take returns.
    check it out and take it or leave it.

unfortunately, i approach everything i might BUY as if the seller did the exact opposite.

try to do my homework and bring a cheat sheet and magnifying glass.

i'd like to have a heavier grinder myself!
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    Buying stuff used is always a gamble, but I've found most people to be trust worthy. If you buy 10 items used for half the price you would have otherwise paid you're still coming out ahead even if 1 or 2 of the deals ends up being a bust.

Boolit Master
    That stinks, I pretty much assume if they don't show pictures or give good details they are trying to rip me off. I don't buy that "grandson" did the listing song and dance either. Looks like a good enough unit so hopefully you'll just chalk this up to bad luck. I've gotten burned on ebay a few times, sometimes getting the "best deal" doesn't always turn out to be a deal....
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

The tenderizer is just the ticket for making chicken fried steak & Swiss Steak. Use the leaner and sometimes tougher cuts, like the leg rounds for instance, run it through once or twice depending on what cut you use. Cut the meat against the grain. Lloyd Smale has an excellent recipe for venison cube steak over in “Cookin’ Recipes” under “a few of my other favorite recipes “
    Last edited by clum553946; 11-13-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Sorry for your troubles.

I've bought a couple of things off Craigslist, and looked at a few more locally.
    My Daughter bought a "WingChair" of craigslist. Only to have a leg break off 2 days later. It was threaded on and the threaded metal shaft had already been broken and superglued.

We no longer buy from Craigslist. It's where dishonest scum sell their trash.
    When my late wife died I had no reason to keep her piano or the sectional sofa and sold them on Craigslist. But then it was new and the sellers were upright..... now I won't even look on their site.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

It is always no warranty, no return. If not stated, it's just my mindset. I've had decent results both selling and buying. Sold several saws, tablesaws, etc. No issues, turn it on and hear it run. No can't cut, but I can do it if you want to see it run. No complaints. A few other nits, like no shows, but that's just the way it is. First come first get the item.
    I've bought several pieces of furniture, cabinet was the most expensive at a couple of hundred, and it was in perfect shape, if not, I would have walked.
    One thing, If you are questioning anything about the item, walk away. Just walk away. You might think you lost out, but probably not....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    LEM makes good stuff. They keep parts for their discontinued stuff but the #12 is still available. I believe it was the #10 that they discontinued? I have had one of their #5 grinder for years and it does excellent except it needed a little more HP for semi frozen meat. I ordered a #12 last week. It should be here this week. Plus I needed at least a #8 or large to run the meat mixer that I just bought.
    I have the tenderizer, and their Maxvax 1000 vacuum sealer. The vacuum sealer is the best I've ever had and I've owned several of the Foodsaver models.
    The grinder I have is a Leonardi Grinder model 536 Size #12, made in Italy for LEM, and if it hasn't been run hard it may prove to be a good purchase after all. The #12 they have now is a "Big Bite" model, don't know who actually makes it for LEM or if they have their own manufacturing facility. The parts, except maybe the head, are not interchangeable, but as long as I can get them it's all good. I also have their 5lb Sausage Stuffer, Meat mixer and Jerky Shooter. Great products so far, no real complaints, so I hope it will be the same for this grinder.
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    The last two things I bought online I feel I got taken. The first was a jigsaw that was on the local Craigslist. The guy was a retired teacher with a bunch of other woodworking equipment. He turned the saw on for me to show that it worked but didn't cut any wood. When I got it home and used it, it wouldn't keep a blade on, too worn out.
    My next one was a Luger that I bought from one of the gunboards. The guy said in his ad that only one number was mismatched. The pictures he sent were poorly lit and taken with deception to only show one number mismatch. When I got it it was completely mismatched, only two parts matched numbers. The bore was also badly pitted which wasn't disclosed. I did call the guy on it and he could not believe that I was unhappy. Huh? Nobody likes to be lied to.
    After many online transactions, these were the only two that I feel really ripped off. Now I will go into every deal thinking that the seller is dishonest. Too bad it's come to that.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    I have bought a lot of things used on ebay or local classifieds. I've only been screwed a couple times, and never bad enough that I have shied away from doing it. I think selling something you take a bigger chance of being taken. I had a Dodge Neon I bought for parts, and listed the car for sale after I got what I needed off it. I listed it as a $150 parts car, not running. I get a text from some joker with bad English skills wanting to send me a cashiers check and have his "shipper" pick it up, and me give the shipper the extra cash he was going to send for fuel expenses. When I told him to just pay his shipper up front, and bring me the cash when he picked up the car, I never heard back from him. I wonder if it was a scam??

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    I have bought a lot of things used on ebay or local classifieds. I've only been screwed a couple times, and never bad enough that I have shied away from doing it. I think selling something you take a bigger chance of being taken. I had a Dodge Neon I bought for parts, and listed the car for sale after I got what I needed off it. I listed it as a $150 parts car, not running. I get a text from some joker with bad English skills wanting to send me a cashiers check and have his "shipper" pick it up, and me give the shipper the extra cash he was going to send for fuel expenses. When I told him to just pay his shipper up front, and bring me the cash when he picked up the car, I never heard back from him. I wonder if it was a scam??
    Yup, that was a scam. Heard of a similar deal a while back.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    Absolute SCAM. Associate in my office and her husband scammed like this over an off road dirt bike they were selling. Purchaser bought the bike for MORE than asked with "cashier's check". She sent personal check back for difference. Some one came and got the bike. Three weeks go by. "cashier's check" bounced, bank removes deposited funds, bike is gone, personal check is cashed, and there is no one to identify to arrest. Hard and expensive Lesson Learned.

Have the bad-english speaker send his rep over. Then ARREST the Perp!
    Last edited by Land Owner; 11-14-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast