RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: Strange micrometer

Boolit Master

Strange micrometer

Found this mic in an old fellows tool crib. Was solidified. Said could have it. Has sharp points where you measure. Soaked in aerocroil overnight. Still frozen, got barrel off and warmed up with small heat, completely disassembled, now is running good. Able to set “0” very smooth. I think some type of thread gauge maybe?? Only goes to .000 no veneer scale for .0000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    It's a thread mike. It should have the pitch range written on it.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Does the anvil have two points? If so it's a thread mic. Otherwise just for getting down into a groove to measure.

Boolit Buddy
    So you are saying that there was a micrometer in that picture. Guess I better go back an look again!!

Boolit Grand Master

not a true thread mic since it does not measure pitch diameter , but they do make 60 degree point mics to be used as comparators http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/210AP

Boolit Master
    Scherr-Tumico.inc. St. James Minn. USA on barrel under crud layer. Anvil point has a screw in end maybe some type of changeable point? May be just some kind of comparator like M-Tecs said.

Boolit Master
    brake rotor mic to determine depth of scoring of both friction surfaces. If to deep don't bother to machine just toss from good old days when rotors where thick enough to machine now theyre just toss.

Boolit Master
    Now that makes since. The two points would work on both sides of disc. May find someone who needs it, doesn’t seem to work very well in measuring lead boolits tho because it cuts into lead. Will measure groves, with a light touch tho.

Boolit Grand Master

Brake rotor mics have a deep throat https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/p...OR-MICROMETER/

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Does the anvil have two points? If so it's a thread mic. Otherwise just for getting down into a groove to measure.
    Yep, I've had both, Not sure of the proper name as we just called them "Point Mics". And don't store it with the anvil/spindle touching. Back the thimble off some. Soaking in Ktoil will help clean it up...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Brake rotor mics have a deep throat https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/p...OR-MICROMETER/
    I have both shallow and deep they both have one side removable anvils theres even a extra deep for HD applications

Also can be used to measure the wall thickness of pipe.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Yep this old guy was around a lot of pipe welding. Chillers and boilers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

I have a scherr tumico micrometer that has a single rounded anvil. It says right on the box that is for measuring pipe walls. If its a flat anvil you can't measure off of the inner curve of the pipe accurately. The anvil center will be bridged by the inner pipe wall. The set you have with the two points also eliminates that bridging.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    point mic just as mentioned above.can be used for anyplace you cant use a flat mic.i use them for sheet metal stampings in hard to reach places

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I can't see it that well. If it looks like this, it's for threads.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master
    Thanks jimkim that’s a good pic. This one has pointed on both anvil and spindle, it
    May at one time had thread adp parts for anvil and spindle but long gone now. Got
    It working good now will use it for point mic, has good clutch for tightening, but for
    Lead you have to have a soft touch, as the points will punch in and give false reading.
    Works good on grooves if your careful.

Boolit Master
    Nice find and like so many things, it doesn't matter what it did, it can be repurposed. All you have to do is come up with what you can use it for.

Boolit Buddy

Thank You to all the respondents. I learned something that I couldn’t even know how to start to ask.
    Sadly, the experience and expertise of the tradesmen is fading. Someday someone is going to have to make some parts to fix a CNC unit, but a qualified professional won’t be around.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!