Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: Update on the Employment Front

Update on the Employment Front

Last Wednesday, I was told I was being furloughed (read laid off) from my job as a case manager at the agency I work for. Friday was my last day. It so happens that I had been making arrangements for several months to begin moonlighting as a drug and alcohol counselor at the same agency. When I left my department on Friday, I started my new job that Monday. It is contract work, so the hourly rate is good, but there are no benefits, and I only get paid if I see clients. Still, it is a job and this is a growth industry, unfortunately. I can start Medicare back up, but my wife is a year short of being old enough, so there is a concern about getting her health insurance.

I have been down this road so many times that it seems routine to me. I believe that for some reason, this is where God wants me to be, and I am just following His leading. Please pray for my guidance, and for the people I will be helping. Thanks.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Have prayed and will continue to Wayne .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master

Prayers sent
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

in Remebrance
    Praying for you, Wayne. My life has been down much the same road, He has been beside me leading and guiding, even when I didn't have sense enough to understand what was happening. I look back on my life and realize how blessed I have been. Leave it up to the Master, He has everything under control. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Master

Praying for guidance and wisdom.

Boolit Grand Master

Wayne, be aware of your tax/SS liability when being paid on contract. Unless the contract so specifics they are paying none of it and it is your responsibility. When I was in that position every check LOML took 35% and put it in the bank, it wasn't ours from the beginning. That was our tax bracket back then - plus SS. You need to do your math and do the same thing.

Will be praying for the transition - I've been working that way all my professional life.

From another Wayne, God Bless
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Praying that God reveals His guidance and continues His work thru you.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Master

Wayne, my last 10 years of work before retirement were layoffs and company buyouts and shutdowns. I know what you are going through. The Good Lord saw me through, as well as the prayers of people here, and from my church family.

From my experience and looking back in my own life, (I know you too are a member of the body of Christ), I know you are right in believing that this is part of God's plan for your life, and this is where He wants you.

The Lord will always be with you, and I pray as the others here for guidance and wisdom in your walk! In the Name of Christ Jesus, amen!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Thank you, everybody, that means a lot. I have faith in God to lead us through this.

Wayne

Answer to Prayer

I have accepted a position with an agency in Kittanning, PA. It is a drug and alcohol counselor position, and I will split my time between the Armstrong County Jail, and the outpatient office in town. The money is good, and they even offered a signing bonus. I was told that there are a lot of people with degrees in criminal justice, but no counseling experience. All my adult life I have wanted to work with people in the criminal justice system, and I will get that chance again. Thank you everybody for lifting me up in your prayers.

Wayne

Good news Wayne, God is good indeed. Good luck in your new position. Sounds rewarding.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Wayne, remember everybody has a monkey on their back, you can't let them give you their monkey but have to help them train their monkey.

Boolit Master

Wayne you have a good handle on things since you realize that the Lord is in control and wants you to prosper. I believe that the line of work you are in will bring healing and happiness to many as well as blessings to you. Thanks be to the Lord for His guiding hand in your life.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master

Another Wayne, and I congratulate you for you new job- I am a Licensed Psychologist and I understand what you will be doing. I will be praying for you and your clients.
    Wayne the Shrink

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I'm really glad You have found a job Wayne ! Hope everything goes smoothly .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Thanks, everybody. I start on Monday. I'm a little nervous about starting over again, but if this is really what God wants me to do, it will work out.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Another Wayne, and I congratulate you for you new job- I am a Licensed Psychologist and I understand what you will be doing. I will be praying for you and your clients.
    Thanks, Wayne. Sometimes it's hard not to take on the problems of the world. When I worked at the halfway house, about once a month one of my former clients would die of overdose.

Wayne

Boolit Grand Master

If you are not aware of it get Boundaries, by John Townsend and Henry Cloud - It has been in continuous publication since they wrote it - and they were classmates of mine at Rosemead School of Psychology - Biola University.

Having an absolute boundary between you and your clients is essential - if they did not walk out of my office with the same problems they had when they walked in I would be inpatient by now. Meditate on that - I CANNOT accept my client's problems - I can only help them deal with those problems in different ways, understand themselves better, and thus change. Probably 50% of what I do could be described as increasing their self awareness - accurate and factual.

I cannot save anyone and don't need to - Jesus already did!
    Wayne the Shrink

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    If you are not aware of it get Boundaries, by John Townsend and Henry Cloud - It has been in continuous publication since they wrote it - and they were classmates of mine at Rosemead School of Psychology - Biola University.

Having an absolute boundary between you and your clients is essential - if they did not walk out of my office with the same problems they had when they walked in I would be inpatient by now. Meditate on that - I CANNOT accept my client's problems - I can only help them deal with those problems in different ways, understand themselves better, and thus change. Probably 50% of what I do could be described as increasing their self awareness - accurate and factual.

I cannot save anyone and don't need to - Jesus already did!
    I have used that book in my group sessions at work. I really try to let my clients experience their own difficulties. I always try to emphasize the spiritual aspects of recovery, but just can't be preaching or proselytizing.

It looks like Southern California is a good place to study psychology, and Virginia is a better place to practice it. BTW; I grew up in Oxnard, if you know where that is.

Wayne

Keep following his direction and you'll be fine.
    He has a plan for you. We do not know what it is, but he does.