WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas modern gun opener 9 pt.

Boolit Buddy

Arkansas modern gun opener 9 pt.

Sorry folks ,
    This is the 3rd time I have typed this , and I still can't get a picture to post.
    At any rate. It was Nov. 10th 2018, and I got a later start than I planned. Got to my stand late, and bumped some bedded deer out about 50 yards from my stand. Figuring I had buggered my early chances , I continue to my perch.
    About 20 minutes later I hear a close shot.
    Thinking it may be my Dad I get down to I investigate.

Upon arriving at his stand..... no Dad. I hear noise coming from his house area. I walk up to chat ,and see what's up. He's going through his daily routine. So we sat and visited for a few minutes.
    After a bit I decide to get back after it. He said I am going to town. Go kill a big one.
    I head back for my.stand, and ever ******squirrel in the woods had me flinching like a noobie hunter.
    I arrive back at my perch, and as I suspected... squirrels all around me.
    However I settle in and thought I heard what may be deer feet in the leaves. After dismissing my paranoia , I pick my phone out of my pack. Low and behold I have some service. Then it goes away. Typical. I dink with my phone for about 5 mins. Then got to where it aggravated me.
    I toss it back into my pack(cussing inserted here). As I look up there he is standing ,right side facing me broadside at 80 yards. No clue he was being watched. I pick up the gun, look through the scope, cross hairs on his shoulder, he was biting , or licking his left side.
    When his head came back to front center.... BANG!!!! He did the Death Jump and ran not using his right front leg.
    As he ran almost right at me I saw the blood spot and was already prepared for a follow up when he ran head long Into a sumac and briar patch. End Of the line.
    After the stand I was in quit shivering so bad ,( I shivered like a hound ******** peach pits) I decided I better go see how big he was. 15 3/4" 9pt.
    The weapon.: Reminton 788 chambered in 30-30
    Load: 174gr. Lachmiller RNF, Gas checked, PC'D ( Smokes clear gloss) cast from WW alloy over 20.5 gr. Of IMR 4198.

I have several pictures , but they are all too large(I assume to upload). Any help in this matter would be great.
    Either way I thank all of you here for all you have helped me with on my journey I also Thank my Dad for getting me into this awesome craft.
    He made sure some 30+ years ago I knew how to reload and also mentored me into the casting side. He has for sure created a monster!!! To those who have season left give them ****! I wish you all the luck that has been bestowed upon me.- CASTER
    Last edited by CASTER OF LEAD; 11-13-2018 at 02:22 AM.
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome story! I missed my one shot at a buck this year at about 230 yards down a windy canyon.
    As far as posting pics, I resize them with an image sizing app on my phone then post.
    Would love to see some pics of this beauty!
    Congrats!

Boolit Buddy
    Great story. Appreciate the salute to your father. (If you have not told him that in a while, I would suggest you do so. Old folks forget and appreciate being reminded!) And I know you have had a rough patch lately, so great news that you have such a good story to tell. I love the line about the hound. You guys in the south have a much better way of saying things than we do in the northlands. (but then we do have Norwegian women, so makes up for it!!!)

Jackpine

Boolit Master

Squirrels; bad phone signal and not being able to post pics are also in the top ten of things that have me agitated lately! I also got through a rough patch and got my nicest ever bow kill last week and my father drove his tractor out to haul it in for me! Great hunt and story thanks for sharing!

Boolit Master
    Good story and glad you got your buck freezer trained. Our hounds eat persimmon this time of year, same effect, seem nervous. On picture posting, I have better luck posting them thru Tapatalk with phone I think because pic is on that device to begin with, worked last few I’ve done.

Boolit Master
    Good job, Caster. hunts like what you had is what makes our sport special. You just never know what to expect, and when you do connect, it makes it all that much sweeter.

Boolit Master

I like a happy ending.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Bub
    Good job, great story
    thanks

Email me your pics and I'll try and get them posted. You have a PM with my email address.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Here are the pics. Caster, you done good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I fussed at the lack of a rifle pic so Caster came thru quickly with this. I'm double jealous of the rifle and the buck!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Nicely done Caster. You can shrink your pics for free here: http://www.picresize.com/

Pretty rack, we were at Craterof Diamonds that day, my skin was itching knowing there were deer being slain all around me,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Heck of a nice buck! Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    Texas By God , thanks for posting those pictures for me . I never gave it a thought to post a picture of the gun. I absolutely love those 788's. I lack 3 to have the entire rifle caliber collection , and drool over the thought of the .44 model. Every one I own will shoot like ****'s of fire.
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Wow...nice buck...and great story....congrats.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

A 788 was my first rifle. The accuracy spoils you for sure. Glad to help.

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    Great shooting & awesome buck.. Nice job ; )
    H/D

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    A 788 was my first rifle. The accuracy spoils you for sure. Glad to help.

Mine was as well. Chambered in .243 , it has killed a small dump truck load of deer through out my hunting years. I call it " The steak maker". You are correct about them spoiling you. It is a huge confidence boost ,and I have yet to own won't that won't shoot .- Caster

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Squirrels; bad phone signal and not being able to post pics are also in the top ten of things that have me agitated lately! I also got through a rough patch and got my nicest ever bow kill last week and my father drove his tractor out to haul it in for me! Great hunt and story thanks for sharing!
    Congratulations on connecting with the stick and string. - Caster

Quote Originally Posted by CASTER OF LEAD View Post
    Mine was as well. Chambered in .243 , it has killed a small dump truck load of deer through out my hunting years. I call it " The steak maker". You are correct about them spoiling you. It is a huge confidence boost ,and I have yet to own won't that won't shoot .- Caster
    My father and uncle didn't even stop their conversation when I announced that I was going to shoot " that crow yonder" with my 22-250 m788. I fired and my uncle yelled "Holy Blank- you hit it!" He was 6'4" and 300# and he paced it off. I still remember him counting 339, 340, 341 paces. A WW2 vet; he told me that was the best shot he'd ever seen! He and Dad told every farmer around about that shot with my "two-twenty-two-two-fifty"( I never corrected them, lol)
    I killed my second biggest buck in that same field 40 years later with a 788 .243.
    Yes, I love 788s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast