Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New #1 is a pretty little thumper

Bought my no1B in .300WM in 1994, very good accuracy averages under 1" with most of m loads have taken a lot of game with it ranging from Springbuck to Eland. My absolute favorite rifle.

Boolit Buddy

Ruger No. 1 rifles are beautiful and elegant - I certainly can appreciate them for that. But when it comes to punching the X-ring, my ancient, plain jane Remington 721 is king!

Boolit Buddy
    sometime ago i bought a #1 in .270 WIN , its a bleud one with the heavy varmint barrel and its topped up with a nice leupoldscope .
    bought it in a gunstore were it was in stock for over 32 years , rifle was never fired and new in box .
    got it for the old price and a nice discount thrown in .
    like many others here , its standing in my safe and it has 40 [factory] rounds trough it , i needed seven for sighting in the leupold VX 3.

mabey its time to find me a good bulletmould....

Boolit Grand Master
    Didn't know they made a 270 win varmint barreled #1. Might be kind of rare.
    Had a NIB 308 #1A ,but sold it earlier in the year. One of my favorites is my x39 stainless , followed by my 6.5 swede(my hunting rifle nowadays if I ever get to go again), but that said, my fun gun is my 357max #1a, a rechambered 357mag CHP gun.

Always liked the #1 and would love a 44mag gun, but the price nowadays is one I refuse to pay. Seems like the price took a pretty good jump a few years ago.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got the 375 H&H No. 1 in stainless with a fixed 4x simmons.

Great gun.

Rich
    My feed back

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-Small-anvils

I also leave feed back

I've had several of them from 243 to 458. Presently only two a 6mm PCP and 45/70. Only one I hunted with was 30/06. The rest target and groundhogs. I would like to have a early 375H&H and my favorite which I have never owned , the Lyman edition 45/70.

MOA,
    Nice looking #1s. I always wanted the 1A in 7X57. Those AH FEs are the most graceful of all.

I had a '76 1B in .270. It was no tack driver, but was adequate & I shot many deer & 1 antelope with it. I tried everything to get it to shoot better & read everything Jon Sundra wrote on "how to" make the #1 shoot better. I even sent it back to Ruger & they returned it & if I remember correctly their requirement was 1.5" @ 50 yds.with factory ammo (I was doing better than that, so I shut up & kept shooting).

Later I acquired a #1AB (short run on those) in .270. It was the most inaccurate rifle I've ever owned...……..but, it was very pleasing to the eye (beautiful). It went down the road. I did kill 1 deer with it: a 35 yd. shot.

I acquired a #3 in .45-70 (a 200th yr.) in late '76 from a pawn shop for $135.00...….best deal of my life. It is one of the most accurate guns that I ever owned (barrel band and all).

Henry

Boolit Master

My #1 is a 7x57 ....very accurate, easy to carry, beautiful fit and finish on the wood. Bought it from the widow of a member here on this site.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Ruger #1's, as far as accuracy out of the box, have always been luck-of-the-draw. The good news is that accuracy problems can usually be corrected with a bit of tinkering. I'd love to be the lucky guy that meets a frustrated shooter & in a weak moment buys his "sour-shooting #1" for a price that makes us both real happy!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    MOA,
    Nice looking #1s. I always wanted the 1A in 7X57. Those AH FEs are the most graceful of all.

I had a '76 1B in .270. It was no tack driver, but was adequate & I shot many deer & 1 antelope with it. I tried everything to get it to shoot better & read everything Jon Sundra wrote on "how to" make the #1 shoot better. I even sent it back to Ruger & they returned it & if I remember correctly their requirement was 1.5" @ 50 yds.with factory ammo (I was doing better than that, so I shut up & kept shooting).

Later I acquired a #1AB (short run on those) in .270. It was the most inaccurate rifle I've ever owned...……..but, it was very pleasing to the eye (beautiful). It went down the road. I did kill 1 deer with it: a 35 yd. shot.

I acquired a #3 in .45-70 (a 200th yr.) in late '76 from a pawn shop for $135.00...….best deal of my life. It is one of the most accurate guns that I ever owned (barrel band and all).

Henry

Well I hope you kept the No. 3.
    I'm going to get another No. 1 and re barrel it to 45-120, got to put a 6 lb octagon barrel on it. :-O

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Well I hope you kept the No. 3.
    I'm going to get another No. 1 and re barrel it to 45-120, got to put a 6 lb octagon barrel on it. :-O
    It remains in the family...….I gave it to our youngest son (now 48) when I gave up deer hunting (I still have visitation rights). It & a 1894 Marlin in .45 Colt that I gave him are his favorite deer guns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12