Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone use silicone spray inside their 22 action instead of oil?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    This got me thinking, anyone ever use this kind of stuff for case lube or boolit lube? I am already tempted to try it for case lube.
    I used to use silicone spray a lot, but not on my Firearms. I have wondered about it for case lube, but haven’t tried it. There is also silicone greese that is very water resistant. That might be interesting as a boolit lube or ingredient. There are a lot of possibilities and recipes for lubes. Price is also to be considered. If Crisco works as well as silicone, why spend the extra money?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I used to use silicone spray a lot, but not on my Firearms. I have wondered about it for case lube, but haven’t tried it. There is also silicone greese that is very water resistant. That might be interesting as a boolit lube or ingredient. There are a lot of possibilities and recipes for lubes. Price is also to be considered. If Crisco works as well as silicone, why spend the extra money?
    Currently I am using a mix of lanolin and canola oil for swaging lube. It works good. But I am interested in the "dry lube" wax + teflon idea. That could be an excellent all round gun oil/case lube/ etc.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Don’t forget about graphite. Little tubes of it are expensive, but you can find a pound can for five bucks.

I’m getting ready to mix up lanolin and castor oil and then cut it with eighty percent alcohol. I will put it in pump spray bottle to use on my cases before sizing. I like the idea of spraying the brass standing up so I can get some inside the case necks. Maybe one day I might add a little graphite in too.

For boolit lube and greese cookies, I plan to mix mouton tallow, beeswax and a little castor oil if needed to soften it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Ballistol is the only CLP, the original, that will not gum-up. Only wet one I use on locks,
    I spray out the .22s and let them sit and wipe them down and patch them out.
    30 years, no problems.
    It is that. I use it to waterproof my boots, too. I clean out the inside of the gun with carb cleaner then spray with Ballistol and wipe. Works fine for me
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Oh, and I do use silicone too
    this stuff:
    Attachment 230466
    From Walmart
    A benefit of using this stuff is the propellant/carrier is the same stuff as "Carb Cleaner", used by many as a gun cleaner, and it leaves behind some "dry" lube.
    I use it flush out striker channels as any lube in there is not usually a good thing.
    Da*m quoted myself again,

Boolit Master
    I use silicone spray as case lube. Works just fine. Of course, all the guns I shoot regularly, pistols, rifles and even the pump shotgun, don't have a single piece of wood furniture among them, so the wood finish issue doesn't affect me.

ETA: I do take care not to expose my casts to silicone prior to applying HiTek.

I was never happy with any silicone spray I tried in the 10/22. I've used various Teflon's though. From Elmer's Slide All to generic Harbor Freight. Seemed OK. Moved to using some **** thing the Marine brought me from euro-land. looks like a super light grey shiny (micro particle embedded) grease. little goes a looong way. Generic tube :-/ Most of the CLPs I tried in the 10/22 were great if you only wanted to shoot 50 or 100 rounds. But a whole brick and it was obvious they were hurting which is bizarre as the ARs seem just fine with the same brands of CLP. /shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    I hate to be a contrarian, but I've used silicon for years on my guns with great results. I don't use it for high friction lubrication, like for an AR, but I use it for protection. I wipe down the outside of my guns & after the barrel is squeaky clean I coat the barrel using a silicon patch. Never had any barrel rust & my rifles don't have a POI change from the first few shots out of an oily barrel.

First I've heard that silicon can effect a wood stock finishes; thanks for that heads-up.

FWIW
    If you have ever tried to paint/varnish/lacquer anything that has silicon on it you end up with "fisheyes". I'm a woodworker and got rid of silicon lube decades ago because of that very problem. Most people blame the finish when it is the surface contamination that is screwing things up.

I have a buddy who is notorious for NOT cleaning guns, starting using Corrosion X on his S&W Model 41 which have a reputation as being finicky. After the Corrosion X he has fired hundreds of rounds with out a hitch. I've not used it, but he certainly sings it's high praise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12