Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: 44-40wcf in a Winchester Model 1892

Question 44-40wcf in a Winchester Model 1892

So I just ordered a brand new Winchester 1892 in 44-40, for short to intermediate range deer hunting. I have a lee 429-200-rf, and am thinking of ordering a lee 429-310-rf, but am uncertain of the cartridges ability to make effective use of such a massive projectile. if any one has any suggestions on a starting point, or different mold to work up from, as well as a point not to go past. Also opinions on the actions strengths and weaknesses would be appreciated

OAL is strict for the 92; the 310 may not fit. 240 gr was the heaviest I could use in a Rossi copy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thank I’ll look into that good thing I have a super Blackhawk in 44mag to use the heavy hitters in

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Twist in the '92 is probably 1:38" and will not stabilize a bullet heavier than 240 grains.
    That is reality.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had 2 of them and still own one.
    The bore is .431 on both of them and the Lee .429 200 RNFP does not work well with most powders except Trail Boss which must have enough initial punch to obturate the bullet.

I have tried several bullets in mine. The chambers are loose enough that they will take rounds with .432 bullets but i usually size them at .431.

For 200gn the Accurate 43-200F and Saeco #446 both work ok. The 92 can cycle rounds a bit longer than the spec so the Saeco functions fine.

The best so far has been the Accurate 43-220C.

I also tried my own design Accurate 43-219S & 43-219SG and they worked ok but don't seem to be as accurate as the 43-220C so i'm waiting on a slightly altered mold from Accurate, the 43-220CC which is the same boolit with a change to the crimp groove that works better for me with that nose shape in the larger sizes.

CamoWhamo it looks like it will be March before I get my new gun so let me know how the new mold works out for you I may have to get one to

Boolit Master
    310gr depends on the rifling twist. And also the pressure you use it at. Might work. Might not.

I have a mould that works, that I have used for high power loads in a newer 44-40. It is the 429215GC. That is a Keith style semi-wadcutter, cut for a gas-check that runs about 0.431"-0.432" OD and weighs about 212gr. All the newly made 44-40's that I have measured use .44 Magnum barrels. So you are going to want a bullet larger than the standard 44-40 bullet diameter (0.427").

The two I own have chambers that are large enough so that a 0.431" bullet can be used. It has a gas-check so that it can handle higher pressures than factory loads without any fear of leading. It is short enough that even slow twists will stabilize it. It just does not have the ballistic coefficient for 600 yards (or maybe even 200 yards). I have tested it at 100 yards, though, and it does well there.

This bullet reminds me a little bit of the old saying: "No matter how hard you throw a potato chip, it doesn't go very far."

Well my new rifle arrived now I just need to finish paying for it soo nice and the fit is perfect up to the shoulder and the site is perfectly in line looking forward to getting to know it again any help or suggestions for a good load would be appreciated