MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: 357 Maximum Buck 180 Grain Cast

Boolit Buddy

357 Maximum Buck 180 Grain Cast

I was making breakfast this morning and I could hear my wife get up from her chair and move to the front sliding glass door. I asked her what she was up to and she said, there is a deer in the yard and I can't tell if it's a boy or a girl. I walked over and picked up the bino's. It was a buck. She stayed there and I moved to the 10" Contender and a speed strip of five 357 Maximum I had loaded with 20.0 grains of Lil Gun, CCI Small Rifle Magnum Primer and a 180 grain Rim Rock LBT-WFN gas checked. The average velocity from the 10" barrel is 1800 fps from my Chrony. (I have been lazy casting my own recently now that these are available at a reasonable price.)

I went out the side door of the house and waited for him to turn broadside. I lined up the cross hairs and blinked and fired missing completely. A replay of last years first pistol deer shot. I went back in, reloaded and returned to my shooting position and saw he had moved out to 55 yards. This time I told myself, keep your eyes open unless you would like two ear fulls of muzzle blast with nothing to show for it. I listened to myself and knew the shot was good. I put my shoes on and tracked him to the river 100 yards away where he had gone for his last drink and laid down. There was a rivulet of water between us so I left him while I slammed my breakfast down and got my boots on and rallied my wife for the recovery.

For the skinning I used two knives I had made. The Fancy Walnut handled one is made from 1080 and I used it to cut the glands off. This knife has been used on two elk and now three deer as I recall. The remainder of the cutting was done by the orange cord wrapped handled one. It is made from O-1 and has a cord wrapped handle because I forgot to drill the holes for the bolsters before I heat treated it. Both have tapered tangs and vine pattern file work on the tangs. This was the cord wrapped knifes first animal and I think its last. I put the large nose and belly on it because someone had told me that they prefer more of a belly on a knife. As I was looking to make knives for others at the time I thought I would try that out. Even though the knife was razor sharp and would easily shave hair from face or arm it would not easily do the standard cuts down the legs and belly that I customarily do on an animal. I learned how blade geometry plays a part in performance. For those interested the knives are both exactly the same length as a standard Swiss Army Knife with the large blade extended. I prefer a small knife for gutting and skinning and the SAK has done many deer and several elk for me and hunting partners over the years.

The bullet went through the back of both front legs missing both scapula's and went between ribs on both sides. The blood shot ribs and upper lungs was immense. The cast bullet with .250" meplat did its job.

We have squash cooking in the oven next to the brussel sprouts picked today. My job is to get the heart ready for cooking. Thank you for reading.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	river.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	230329

Name:	deer.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	230330

Name:	knife.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	230331
    Last edited by 45&30-30; 11-19-2018 at 11:34 AM.
    I Like Guns - Steve Lee

Banned

Well done! Looks like some pretty country there.

Banned

Nice! should have grabbed some 'ears' when going for the reload.

Great shooting , 180 wfn is great bullet

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master

Very nice!
    Looks kinda like the East Rosebud River, but not enough snow.

Boolit Buddy
    I really like the grind you put on your knives. Kinda reminds me of those pictures of Randall's that I never could afford.
    I'll have to try to make some like that.
    All the best,

Boolit Master

I'd love to shoot a deer from my living room! Dad got a bear from a cabin window once....

Boolit Buddy

Thank you for the comments. We are up in the NW corner and have had a little snow. You can see it on the peaks around us but not much has stuck down low here. I have been switching the pistol and orange vest and hat from shop to house depending on where I am and never set a pair of "ears" with them. Not going to happen again.

mulespurs I am an admirer of Randall Knives as well and took to making copies as I did not care for the wait and price. As you can see from the grinds I like the Trapper and Pathfinder the most.

Early today I sent the picture of the deer to a friend. He commented back, Good thing you got the drop on him, he had two knives and a gun!
    I Like Guns - Steve Lee

Boolit Master

Great story; I’m sitting in a freezing MI deer blind now with 10 inch 357 max contender with a 200 grain cast pcd boolit over H110!

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning and Congratulations !!! That was a fine read and great photos. Sounds like a good place to live. Having critters nearby the house blesses my heart.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Bub
    Awesome- thanks for sharing

Nice story and a good buck. Thanks for sharing!
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Buddy
    The 180 grain WFN 357 max is a good one. Tomorrow I should be in the woods with the same thing only my gun is a handi rifle and it likes 19 grains of lil gun. Good shooting,

Vendor Sponsor

NIce!! I used to take them out my kitchen window years ago..
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-16-2018 at 08:11 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Good job! I like it when the groceries deliver themselves.

Boolit Master

A great tale, congratulations
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Way to go, and beautiful pictures.

I have been lately thinking about getting a 10" T/C barrel in .357 Magnum. I realize yours is the Maximum, but the standard .357 magnum ballistics also look good in a Contender barrel.

Now you have really got me wanting a new barrel!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Should have had a telescoping spinning rod with a few spinners or woolly buggers to catch a few trout there. Nothing wrong with surf & turf. Congrats
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Buddy

I am glad I checked back here. Thank you all for the new comments. Hickok I have taken two deer now with the Contender. Last year I used a 357 Magnum case loaded with 180 grain NOE I cast at aprox. 16 BHN. The damage to that deer at 75 yards with the .280 meplat and calculated impact velocity of 1300 fps was very similar to this years RimRock 180 grain with .250" meplat at calculated impact velocity of 1630 fps at 55 yards. Both years, after seeing the damage I have said silently to myself, I am impressed. Both deer traveled about the same distance after similar shot placement.
    OnHoPr, I have a neat little Echo 6'9" glass 3 WT and a Tenkara USA Sawtooth that fish the river good and make it fun. The Woolly Buggers work but the number one producer is a size 12 Yellow Humpy, all season. I tie it with a moose tail and deer hair. The Tom Thumb with a yellow or black belly also does well. We don't have a predominant hatch of anything because of the size of the river, so they are not selective. It surprises me the size of the fish that can appear on your line from such small water. Who could ask for more?
    Last edited by 45&30-30; 11-19-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    I Like Guns - Steve Lee