RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Wad Question

Boolit Buddy

Wad Question

Please forgive my ignorance if I am way off base. But my question is as the shot shell crimp opens up, is there a chance that one or more petals could turn backwards as the slug/wad enters the rifling which maybe causes them to shear off ?

Thanks, Dennis

Boolit Grand Master

I can't speak too much for rifled guns since I don't have one (yet) but it is best to set slug height so the wad petals are at the ogive of the slug nose or at the nose driving band/bearing point so the petal does not extend past the bearing surface of the slug.

Use the correct depth of shotcup or space the slug out with nitro card wads or cut the wad petals to suit the slug.

Check Ranch Dog's recent post #7 about how he trims petals:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-SW250-12-wads

But yes, petals extending beyond the nose of the slug can get damaged.

Longbow

Boolit Master

I've been working with the Lee Slugs in short burst for six years now, and my response is the same as what longbow stated; yes, it matters.

I would suggest that you recover every wad you shoot, but I know that might not be practical on a public range. I use the small yard sprinkler penants to mark the wads as I shoot and it amazes me how tight they land to each other if you are using the right wad. If petals are being damaged, they don't. I've also been correlating the shot number, with the petals, and the point of impact (POI). If you have a flier, it would be a good bet is that the wad lost a petal.

I've experienced the same if the column wad's strut crushes. In other words, if the wad does not look like it can be used again, MOA performance suffers.

Everyone looks through their own glasses, so accuracy is subjectable. Mine is that of a hunter that might have to shoot 100-yards. If I cannot put three slugs within a 6" circle, I won't use them, and that is why my Lee slugs haven't gone hunting during this period. My problem is that I'm not a quitter, but I am almost there with the Lee offerings.
    Michael