Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: New batch of gas cks are too loose on my cb’s.

New batch of gas cks are too loose on my cb’s.

I had a bunch of Sage [thought it was Sarge] checks that I used up on my 311413 cast bullets which stayed on nice and tight when lubrisized. But now I’m casting a 308329 and am using an old box of lyman checks that are a loose fit and can be pulled off some of the bullets. I’m using the same lubrisizer die setup. Is there a thicker 308/310 gc available or should I open up the gc part of my mould with a dremel bit to make a slightly bigger base? I have a mini mill so I would have a variable speed and square table. But would hate to ruin my mould. BTW, I’m building these bullets for my 300 blkout [supersonic].

Boolit Master
    hornady fit tight never had good luck with the lyman too loose i glue them on

Boolit Master

The old style LYMAN gas checks were slip on. Gold color

Unlike the new style HORNADY, copper color, which are "clamp" on. LYMAN also sells HORNADY GC's under their name.
    Sage are "clamp" on, I still have some left too.

Keep in mind the LYMAN "308" molds do not cast as big as the later/current made "311" molds.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    If they don't fall off when loading them into the cartridge, then they should be ok. The pressure upon firing will keep the checks against the bullet base. The checks will also get crimped on better as they enter the rifling.

Boolit Buddy
    I had the same issue with his alum. 9mm gas checks i cooked them for one hour at 500 degrees and the problem went away. I got off a few extra dollars and went back to gator checks iv shot steel plates and the bullet with check attached was on ground near by.

I've loaded many that were tight and just as many that weren't. There is no difference in accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    If you want to use the Lymans on your 308329, do like turtlezx said and put a dab of super glue in the check before sizing and they will stay on. Or save them for another mold that has a larger shank. Never tried heating/annealing, that might work on the Lyman brass checks. I think the old Lymans were brass.

I would definitely not mess around with the mold over some loose gas checks. Sell or trade for someone who might actually have a use for them. What I found in my experience even my custom made to fit gas checks defending on alloy and mold the fit great or tight. Loose fit has not been a problem since they crimp when I size them.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Anneal them, they will stick very well, you are getting spring back. I had the same problem with Sages copper gas checks, annealed them and they work as advertised. I just spend the extra few bucks and use Hornady and never have a problem or extra step.

I used some fine compound and the shank of several cast boolits and opened up the shank on my mould a couple of thousands. Now I can pick up the gc’s with the base of an unsized boolit from the primer flipper that I use. However after sizing they still arent tight. Thinking that they’re springy. I’m not going to tinker with my mould anymore but will try to anneal some checks tomorrow and see if that works.

Couldn’t wait besides it’s going to be colder tomorrow so I just went out to my shop and annealed a handful and they size tight to my old sized shank boolits. Now to load up some and see if they make a difference in the rifle’s accuracy
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 11-13-2018 at 08:36 PM.

If you want to skip the extra step in annealing the Sages copper gas checks their aluminum gas checks work much better without the 'spring back' . I knew annealing would fix your problem,you should never have to mess with a quality mould it usually creates more problems than it solves especially with moulds from vendors here.