Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! Computer problem!

Boolit Master

HELP!!! Computer problem!

A couple of weeks ago Gail's computer began to show signs it was going to die. So, before that happened, she decided to purchase a new computer, which she did. She got the new PC from Staples here in Kamloops and part of the deal was they were to transfer everything from her old PC to the new one. That's when the problems started. It appears the "Tech" (and I use the term loosely), is almost totally incompetent (or just plain lazy). The PC was supposed to be ready in a couple of days but it was not. Staples had the computer for over a week and when we finally went in to get it the tech said all was done except programming the printer to the new PC. Gail told him she would figure it out herself (which she did). She also found there were several things that had not been transferred. She has been successful in recovering most of the data/pictures etc., but she is having problems getting her ability to produce Word Documents to work. She cannot produce a word document at all. The OS is, of course Microsoft Windows 10. Can anyone help? I should also state I am almost computer illiterate and Gail is no expert either (but miles better than I am) so any help should be couched in terms simple. Thanks.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not a big fan of Staples or Best Buy and their geek squat but anyway. I'm going to leave file transfer alone because I dont know which folders they were going to move etc. Microsoft Office though doesnt come with new PCs. Some might have a 30 day trial version installed but one way or another it will need to be purchased and licensed. If you dont want to spend money of MS Office try Open Office which is free. Its slightly different then Office as it has to be otherwise MS would sue but it has essentially the same functionality as MS Office.

https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

Boolit Mold
    another option would be to dual boot and run Linux. it really wakes older systems up and its all free software.

Correct, Office suite does not come with win10, must purchase separately - you can buy one with it installed. If getting a new computer, buy a large external hard drive (NOT a thumb drive!)and copy anything you want saved to it. Reverse process for the new machine. It is also a good backup for YOUR files (not the OS files) that you should maintain off the computer. Wipe the hard drive from the old computer (smash it is best solution).
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan74 View Post
    another option would be to dual boot and run Linux. it really wakes older systems up and its all free software.
    Thats not a realistic setup for someone that doesnt know much about computers. Me and you can run multi boot platform but Linux isnt for everyone and even more so if you dont specialize in IT and your only familiar with Windows. For standard users Windows is easier to use.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Correct, Office suite does not come with win10, must purchase separately - you can buy one with it installed. If getting a new computer, buy a large external hard drive (NOT a thumb drive!)and copy anything you want saved to it. Reverse process for the new machine. It is also a good backup for YOUR files (not the OS files) that you should maintain off the computer. Wipe the hard drive from the old computer (smash it is best solution).
    What he said. I have a portable hard drive that my computer backs up to. "I have to tell it what I want backed up".
    Also correct, MS Suite does not come on new computers. You have to purchase it.
    If you have the MS CD's and the key, you may be able to install it on the new machine.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    Imo, windows 10 is worthless. Microsoft did a job on the consumer. XP was a much better program

Boolit Grand Master

HELP!!! Computer problem!

Quote Originally Posted by marek313 View Post
    Thats not a realistic setup for someone that doesnt know much about computers. Me and you can run multi boot platform but Linux isnt for everyone and even more so if you dont specialize in IT and your only familiar with Windows. For standard users Windows is easier to use.
    I agree w/ this. I’m computer literate and Linux isn’t easy. And it certainly doesn’t run like windows. I was running it in a virtual machine on my server to see if I could switch to it. The answer is no for many reasons. It has its place but for the casual user it’s not there yet. It’s definitely leaps and bounds ahead of where it was even a few years ago.

To the OP, have her download Libre Office or Open Office. Both are free replacements for MS Suite and they’re fully functional. Don’t pay Microsoft when there’s a fully capable free product to use. I prefer Libre because Open Office likes to crash constantly on my laptop. And the recovery feature is a joke.

Boolit Buddy
    I am in the "I need to take a computer 'Class'" class. Somehow I managed return my laptop to windows 8 from 10 (hated 10) I did it angrily (lost everything not on external drive) and don't know what or how I did it, but I not angry at it anymore. Never liked MS Office, found Open Office and like it, I have it on a Laptop which doesn't go "Online" much at all. Haven't had any problems with it crashing yet. (Knock on Wood) I took my best laptop to a Tech to get help once, (150$) he made the mistake of mentioning that all they did was do "Updates". So that's what I do now. So far it's worked out for me. Good luck getting yours working, I definitely feel your pain !

You just ran smack into one of the failings of windows. The registry causes more problems than it fixes. The best way to backup and restore files to Windows is to use something like drop box to keep them synced up to a server. Then when the computer dies you replace and not restore things. You reinstall programs and the important docs are synced back down from the server.

I am a MCSE and expert in multiple Unixes and Linuxes. I build hi performance compute clusters for a living. When a Windows box has issues I tell them to reimage/reinstall it. It's not worth the time to fix it.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    To the OP, have her download Libre Office or Open Office.
    Both of these are good. I use Open Office on a stand-a-lone computer at work mostly for the spreadsheet application (think Microsoft Excel). I have Libre office on two personal laptops and desktop. I am sort of in the process of weening myself off of Microsoft Office products and over to Libre Office.

Ed
    Last edited by WarEagleEd; 11-13-2018 at 03:48 AM.

Boolit Master

The Microsoft junk software on Windows 10 machines that is supposed to simulate 2013 Windows Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) will work for about 90-days and then require you to purchase a license (PAY TO PLAY) in order to print, input spreadsheet line items, etc. That STINKS! What an underhanded trick! Plus, it will not open former MS Office files.

Here is a $12.99 opportunity (free shipping) located on Amazon.com that is compatible with 2018 Windows 10, MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. For that low price, it is worth a try:

https://www.amazon.com/Business-Micr...10+64bit&psc=1
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Someone said it earlier, she has to get the Microsoft Office software installed on the new computer. If she has the installation CD from the old computer with all of the registry codes, she'll be able to install it without any difficulty.

Even if she has the registry codes, she can download the installation file from the MS website and install it that way. (We don't use CD's any more! )

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    Save yourself some money if you aren't computer literate. Install "Libre Office" (you can google that spelling) and you should be able to open your old documents again. Don't pay for the microsoft experience if you don't have to, if you don't use any of the advanced features just about any word processor will work for you.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    I agree w/ this. I’m computer literate and Linux isn’t easy. And it certainly doesn’t run like windows. I was running it in a virtual machine on my server to see if I could switch to it. The answer is no for many reasons. It has its place but for the casual user it’s not there yet. It’s definitely leaps and bounds ahead of where it was even a few years ago.

To the OP, have her download Libre Office or Open Office. Both are free replacements for MS Suite and they’re fully functional. Don’t pay Microsoft when there’s a fully capable free product to use. I prefer Libre because Open Office likes to crash constantly on my laptop. And the recovery feature is a joke.
    lol i should've have read your response first, it covers all my points. I switched my grandparents and parents to libre office at the win 10 upgrade.

Thanks Yall!

Vendor Sponsor

Yep, the Libre Office suite is all FREE and does everything M$ does except cost you money! I run linux on all mine and it comes already bundled, it opens all M$ document files and works great.

Want to do something cool? Get one of the 120gb SSDs that Newegg is selling for $20-ish bucks each free shipping for Black November sales, and disconnect the Windows drive, connect the SSD and install Linux Mint LMDE3 edition, it is built on Debian and is very stable and VERY easy for a windows user not only to migrate from windows to linux, but you can download the LMDE3 .iso file and burn it to a USB stick with a free app called Etcher, then boot from the USB and you can run the full installation of linux without even installing it to hard drive, so you can try it out.

I’m computer literate and Linux isn’t easy. And it certainly doesn’t run like windows.
    You haven't ran any of the recent builds of Linux Mint! The Cinnamon desktop version is very much windows 7 looking, it is simple and unadorned with playskool colors and bloated M$ junk, the menus all open nicely when a cursor is held over them, I recommend you try the LMDE3 edition that is out now and rethink linux!
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-13-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I'll give you credit, mint is pretty painless and I run some VM's of it for my homelab, but asking my dad to use it was not the same as giving him windows . I'm still on cinnamon 19, i'll see if there's another flavor released but it does run a nice lightweight OS.

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    You haven't ran any of the recent builds of Linux Mint! The Cinnamon desktop version is very much windows 7 looking, it is simple and unadorned with playskool colors and bloated M$ junk, the menus all open nicely when a cursor is held over them, I recommend you try the LMDE3 edition that is out now and rethink linux!
    Tried Mint and Cinnamon about three months back. There’s a learning curve and to many issues for me to switch. I’m still running 8.1 and have had minimal problems. Until this laptop dies I’m not changing. I will continue to try the new versions as they come out. But as it stands I’m not going to switch.

Installing office (or Win) on a new machine isn't all that easy. MS uses a hash system to ID your copy AND the computer, they want to to pay to re-rent their SW. Sometimes it will install but not run, or sometimes you get the note that it is pirated.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Download Apache Open Office it works the same as Windows Office but is free. I did it and haven't looked back. IT will also open your existing windows docs. https://www.openoffice.org/

When your done you should copy your hard drive to an external Hard drive and is it as your main data storage. This way when your computer dies all you need to do is plug the external hard drive into your next computer and you have all your data.

2T or 4T external hard drives are as little as $69 https://www.google.com/search?q=exte...w=1181&bih=964
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 11-13-2018 at 11:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast