MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GRAPHIC: Was This the Worst Hunting Accident Ever?

My guess, double charge. Heard lots of folks that use the Savage rifle are very pleased with its performance. I have black powder pistols/flintlocks/caplocks and hunt with inlines with subs.. When hunting, I weigh each powder load (after getting the weight for average volume recommendations), for consistency. I could be off 5 grs either way and get about the same results in accuracy. My inline can take up to 150 grs by volume, but it kicks like a mule. I wish they would have posted more details, but the lawyers are keeping quiet for the big payout. You know the difference between a lawyer and a catfish? One's a bottom feeding scum sucker and the other's a fish. My daughter (attorney in Boston), told me that one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Boolit Master
    far from the worst.....dozens of fatal injuries from pulling shotguns out of cars,through fences,or guns propped up and falling over.One and both legs off at the knee from a gun in the back seat of a car.,gut shot pulling a gun in a blanket out of a cupboard,chest shot taking gun handed over fence,..one I recall,a man was shooting with his son,and reached out to point out a bird,just as the son fired...And this was only ex sevicemen whose disablement and deaths I used to record on their files when I worked in the department,not the general public.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    far from the worst.....dozens of fatal injuries from pulling shotguns out of cars,through fences,or guns propped up and falling over.One and both legs off at the knee from a gun in the back seat of a car.,gut shot pulling a gun in a blanket out of a cupboard,chest shot taking gun handed over fence,..one I recall,a man was shooting with his son,and reached out to point out a bird,just as the son fired...And this was only ex sevicemen whose disablement and deaths I used to record on their files when I worked in the department,not the general public.
    when I was a kid a young feller (late teenager) pulled a loaded DB shotgun out of the back of a car by the muzzle - hammer snagged in the upholstery and blew his right arm off just below the shoulder - 20 year later a carpenter (keen shooter) told me the first thing you did if you went to work on that farm was go around and unload ALL the guns (back before storage laws they were just hangin out in various strategic spots ready to kill a fox or a crow etc)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Well built smokeless muzzle loaders are as safe as any other rifle when used responsibly by knowledgeable shooters. Problems arise from ignorance and irresponsibility. For example, a fellow I know bought a Savage ML II mail-order, and went to the LGS for a pound of powder. Then he came to my house and asked me to teach him how to load it. I asked why he bought Bullseye powder, and he said the guy at the gun store recommended it. I bought the can of Bullseye from him and gave him some correct powder so he could go hunting. I also loaded the gun for him. Later I learned that he sold the gun without ever firing a shot from it. The problem is not the gun. It's the nut behind the trigger.
    You are correct in theory but a smokeless muzzle loader is a serious accident begging for a place to happen - one of the dumbest ideas the gun manufacturers have come up with to date - there ARE nuts behind the Butt - lots of em - mostly safe from blowups with cartridge guns because by and large they are not reloaders - commercial ammo keeps them sort of safe - unless they plug a barrel falling over in the swamp or such - but the same clown bulk loading smokeless into a muzzle loader ??????--- look out!!!!

The same clown bulk loading black powder or black powder substitute into a muzzle loader ??????--- look out!!!!

There is no substitute for education. People who do not know what they are doing do stupid things. Plenty of people have killed themselves or others with black powder.

All good points, plenty of "nuts behind the butts" and they are dangerous. But blaming the gun for their actions is the same thing the liberals do......

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    That is pretty bad. I would think it was likely caused by an obstruction in the barrel, rather than an overcharge. Guns&Ammo published an article years ago, where the author actually tried to blow up a ML barrel by overcharging it. At one point, he put 700 grains of powder, followed by a prb, and fired it. No damage was done to the barrel. He miked the barrel after every shot. No change whatsoever. Even after loading with two balls. He was successful in blowing up the barrel, but only after fully seating one ball, then loading a 2nd ball but leaving some space between the two balls.
    I’d be willing to bet it wasn’t smokeless powder.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
    All good points, plenty of "nuts behind the butts" and they are dangerous. But blaming the gun for their actions is the same thing the liberals do......
    I am not blaming the gun - I blame the makers for even going there in the first place - this was stupidity of the first order - further than that lets blame greed on the part of hunters - blokes who want to steal a march on their mates and get a week easy hunting in muzzle loader season - without an interest or any history as muzzleloader shooters - cheat guns put out there to take advantage of a loophole in the legislation - inlines would not exist otherwise. Good luck ! if you dont do it someone else will - nothing wrong with meat harvesting either - from the numbers I seen smashed on the road that needs doin - but sittin up in a tree plinkin bambi on a bait trail with a telescope sighted, smokeless loaded, bolt action, sabot shootin, in line, is muzzle loader hunting ?????? come on.............

I'll be cheating Friday morning. Wish me luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

I don't worry about how other hunters hunt. They are welcome to do as they wish. From the time I enter the woods until I leave I don't see another person, don't think about them, and don't care if they are hunting with a bow, rifle, or a Bowie knife. It's of no concern to me. What matters to me is that I am satisfied with what I choose to do.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Back in the early 80’s one of our high school kids decided to take the shortcut through the woods during bow season. Normally this wouldn’t be a problem but he left his brain at home while wearing his nice brown corduroy coat with the nice fur collar. A bow hunter saw a flash of brown fur and let an arrow fly. Teen caught said arrow in his throat, pinning him to a tree. The broad-head nicked his jugular and he bled out in 15 minutes. Sometimes we “need” to worry about other hunters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder Burn View Post
    I'll be cheating Friday morning. Wish me luck.
    Yeah I do - hope you bag a nice one clean and easy - no scarcity of em from what I seen over there
    but if the authorities changed the rules and put inlines in the same category as cartridge guns - I bet you be out there monday morning with a sidelock Muzzle loader and still bag one.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=fiberoptik;4505972]Back in the early 80’s one of our high school kids decided to take the shortcut through the woods during bow season. Normally this wouldn’t be a problem but he left his brain at home while wearing his nice brown corduroy coat with the nice fur collar. A bow hunter saw a flash of brown fur and let an arrow fly. Teen caught said arrow in his throat, pinning him to a tree. The broad-head nicked his jugular and he bled out in 15 minutes. Sometimes we “need” to worry about other hunters!

I thought it was pretty crazy wearing fluro coats to go huntin - then I was over there and saw the craziness of the first few days of open season - think I would proly add a flashing yeller light on my cap as well - there was some ratbags about for sure.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    He was just walking home from school. Stupid kills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Back in the early 80’s one of our high school kids decided to take the shortcut through the woods during bow season. Normally this wouldn’t be a problem but he left his brain at home while wearing his nice brown corduroy coat with the nice fur collar. A bow hunter saw a flash of brown fur and let an arrow fly. Teen caught said arrow in his throat, pinning him to a tree. The broad-head nicked his jugular and he bled out in 15 minutes. Sometimes we “need” to worry about other hunters!
    Would it have been better if he murdered the young person with a cartridge rifle? I didn't say I don't pay attention to threats. I said I don't care if someone hunts with a primitive weapon or a modern weapon. If your point is we should ban bows and arrows, then say so.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=fiberoptik;4505977]He was just walking home from school. Stupid kills.

Bowhunter was the stoopid one - shot at an unidentified target - not sposed ta do that.

Boolit Master

Found the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmsB...BhTCrfY3YCvOlj

Take a look at the difference between where smokeless barrels let go vs. obstructed barrels.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Yeah I do - hope you bag a nice one clean and easy - no scarcity of em from what I seen over there
    but if the authorities changed the rules and put inlines in the same category as cartridge guns - I bet you be out there monday morning with a sidelock Muzzle loader and still bag one.
    I'd probably just give it up. The thought of going back to a shotgun to hunt deer doesn't sound good to me. I only shoot for Mr Mossyhorns and pass on the rest during our gun season. I use my own cast boolet, 45-70 resized to .452. (Fellow member helped me with this process). I'm about 98% bow hunter and 2% gun hunter. Got a nice doe this morning (with bow). There are states out there that specify restrictions on Muzzleloader equipment, i.e. open sites only, side lock ect., and I don't have any problem with that. But as I age, I find my abilities (sight/hearing/endurance) are going south fast. It's nice to know I will have a means to hunt deer well into my 70s-80s. (I hope).
    Last edited by Powder Burn; 11-15-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Boolit Master

Another gunsmith was telling me about an incident that happened with one of the old H&R huntsman. Before the threaded breach plug. Man had a miss fire and installed a new cap. A friend said maybe the cap was not seated all the way so the man pushed it down hard and twisted it with his thumb. Gun went off and breach plug came out pushing the mans thumb back with great force.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast