Thread: Old keith bullet

Boolit Master

Old keith bullet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w8xIim3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	230315

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.

Boolit Master
    I must be missing something, All I see is a Keith bullet that looks like it came from a Ideal or Lyman mold. I don't feel any pointed problem. Do you have a question? Did you make a previous post that I missed?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    I must be missing something, All I see is a Keith bullet that looks like it came from a Ideal or Lyman mold. I don't feel any pointed problem. Do you have a question?
    Didnt ask a question. Just doesnt look like the authentic Keith bullets of today.

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My observations from various so-called "Keith" molds over the years.

Oldest presumed "original" Keith had front driving band north of the crimp groove, which cast the same diameter as the driving bands, typically .432" in .44 caliber, which required sizing to enter the cylinder throats.

Later Ideal #429421 molds reduced the front band diameter so that it cast about .430" from the mold, did not require sizing and would enter the chamber throats of most .44 revolvers. Later on Lyman modified the mold further and changed the lube grooves from rectangular to radiussed and the front driving band was reduced still further to drop from the mold .429- in No.2 alloy.

Older Santa Anita Saeco #441 was closer to the original Keith design but dropped .430" in wheelweights, and could be shot in most revolvers by pan lubing only, being loaded and shot as-cast and unsized.

RCBS copy was similar to the Saeco, but diameters were based on linotype and bullets dropped undersized .429- in wheelweights.

I kept the Saeco #441 and got rid of the others. I lube bullets with 1:4 mutton tallow and beeswax and most of the time shoot 7.2 grains of Bullseye for about 1000 fps from a 5" revolver, adequate for most things you need a revolver for.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I am sure it is an older style Keith. I used to have one and may still have somewhere. My newer one has a crimp grove and two grease groves.

Boolit Master
    I am sure it is an older style Keith. I used to have one and may still have somewhere. My newer one has a crimp grove and two grease groves.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    I just went out to check my mold and it does have only one wide grease groove. I guess it is my memory. I think my Lee 44 mold has two grease grooves.

Banned
    From what I've read, Keith was big on square bottom grease grooves and the driving bands were close to being equal in size.

Some concessions have been made over the years but the original form is still there. A square bottom grease groove with slightly tapered sides to help release it from the mold. The meplat is still fair large for the design, the front driving band still has a fairly sharp forward edge and it's a plain base bullet.

While not exact, I think it's close enough.

I use the RCBS 44-250-K and while it isn't a perfect Keith bullet it is close enough for my needs. I can't complain with the results.
    I don't shoot enough 44 to justify a 4 cavity mold but if I did, a new SAECO 441 would be my choice.

Boolit Buddy
    44MAG#1, That boolit looks just like my ''Frosty Boolits'' from a Hensley&Gibbs 250gr 44cal #503 boolit mold. Story is 0le Elmer went to Hensley&Gibbs for his KEITH design molds after ldeal/Lyman changed the grease groove from ''square to round''.
    l can tell you this from personal experience. l have recovered fired Keiths with lube still in those SQUARE grease grooves...

From the looks it probably shoots well as most.

Boolit Master

Beautiful example of a Cast bullet.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    44MAG didn't mention what mold his Keith was from in his post... Mine is marked #503, .429'' Monteray Cal. lt casts around .430'' from the range scrap l use @257-258gr. Cast from Clip-0ns they come out 5gr lighter@252. 0thers have commented on their accuracy from the boolits l have shared with them.. l shoot more 503s than all my other 44 molds combined.. l have the Lyman Keith and also RCBS type Keiths too. The H&G 503 Keith is more accurate for ME than the others..

Boolit Grand Master

What is the idea behind that crimp groove? Is this what Elmer was talking about with his large crimp groove? It seems pointless when you can have a longer front driving band.

Boolit Master
    Im getting ready to size, lube and load some afterwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    It seems pointless when you can have a longer front driving band.
    Could you expand on this statement? Trying to understand just what you mean. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

Quickest way for me to spot an "original" Keith is the square bottomed lube groove. "Modern" versions use rounded grooves to make bullet drop out/removal easier...

44Mag, no need to apologize in every post, not too many snow flakes here...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    Could you expand on this statement? Trying to understand just what you mean. Thanks.
    I don't have this bullet to measure, but I'll throw out some numbers to try and explain. Lets say you crimp on the bevel for the crimp groove. This design would then leave lets say .030" gap before the front drive bands starts, and lets say the front band is .080" long. I'm trying to figure out why this would be desirable, verses having a crimp groove like we see now, where the brass forms into the groove, with no gap above. This would then allow a .110" long front driving band. Does that make sense?

Moderator Emeritus

Saeco SWC from a 1980's Mold

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    it could or could not be. if you ever read keith. he made a lot of designs and changed them. so it could be or not. sothe way to look at it is does it shoot good? does it take game? then be happy.

it looks like a good bullet. I would use it in a heart beat.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I don't have this bullet to measure, but I'll throw out some numbers to try and explain. Lets say you crimp on the bevel for the crimp groove. This design would then leave lets say .030" gap before the front drive bands starts, and lets say the front band is .080" long. I'm trying to figure out why this would be desirable, verses having a crimp groove like we see now, where the brass forms into the groove, with no gap above. This would then allow a .110" long front driving band. Does that make sense?
    Been thinking about this. I picture the mouth of the case coming to the bottom of the front driving band when it is crimped. Conventionally speaking this is deep as you can seat if you use the crimp groove. If you can't seat that deep when crimping then the design would be faulty by your explanation. All my Keiths are seated as I described above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast