Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: New Rossi R92 44 Magnum with light loads

Boolit Master

New Rossi R92 44 Magnum with light loads

Traded for it brand new in stainless nine days ago. I wanted it as a companion to my 44 Special Ruger revolvers, but it became very clear that it will not feed 44 Specials. But it is so light and handy that I proceeded to load 44 Magnum rounds at about the same velocity. I used .431" Oregon Trail laser cast SWC 240 grain boolits in both 44 Special and 44 Magnum loads. My pet 44 Special loads were the Oregon Trail sitting on 6.5 grains of Unique, and single loaded in the Rossi, they chronographed 1021, 1115, and 1091 fps, and the new 44 Magnum loads with the Oregon Trail boolit sitting on 7.0 grains of Unique in 44 Magnum cases with CCI 300 primers chronographed 1166, 1149, and 1156 fps. It appeared to be quite accurate, and I don't think I risk leading at that speed. It is also quite comfortable to shoot. I was not looking for a long range loads; as in my area, heavily wooded, 50 yards is about it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rossi Nov5.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	230323
    Last edited by JoeJames; 11-12-2018 at 04:35 PM.

I do a lyman 429421, 7 grns unique, CCI300 in my Marlin 44 mag.
    OAL is 1.70 and feeds fine through it.
    Low recoil and accurate!

Boolit Master

I have a Rossi 92 in 44 mag and the thing will give you a boot at a full load. Not bad, but not fun either. So I got some Roze bullets they are 137 shipped for 1000 so that's $.14 each. I have three loads for my gun. 9.3g of Universal with the 240g jacketed that is a blast to shoot all day (1250 fps). http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant...Code=ZBJ-44MAG
    I will also run these over 23g of H110 but they run about 1700fps and have to adjust my sights up about a foot at 50 yards. I also have a 300 grain fp NOE bullet that I have loaded over 18.3g of H110, it runs about 1400 fps as my hunting load. I don't have to change the sights either. My 92 sluggs out at .432 and won't feed the 429421. Just got a hp mold from a group buy and getting ready to start testing it out.
    But for now, I wouldn't hesitate to use either load

Banned
    In my Marlin 1894S I use two light loads. With either the Lee 200 gr or the Lee 240 gr I load 8 gr of Unique or 7.5 gr of Bullseye.

I have not got around to shooting them through a chrono yet but they are accurate to 80-100 yards.

Boolit Master
    One thing to consider is that what are comfortable shooting accurate loads in a 16 or 20" rifle would be considered very adequate hunting loads from a revolver. Unless you know you're going to have to shoot an animal at 100 yards, why not accept good results at 50 or 75 yards and be happy? Also, try to think of the number of game animals taken with the .44-40 at the same or lower performance levels. GF

Boolit Master
    Since around my place I never get a chance to shoot as far as 100 yards, I am indeed quite comfortable with shooting a 240 grain Keith .431" type SWC at 1150 fps. Even in the light 6 pound Rossi R92 it is quite comfortable to shoot; no noticeable recoil at all. My thoughts were "Ok, if I can only feed 44 Magnums in it, I will load the 44 Magnums to 44 Special velocities". There is no magic in a case that is only 1/10th of an inch longer than a 44 Special, just have to adjust a bit for the little extra space. Hence 7 grains of Unique rather than 6.5.

Boolit Master
    I don't think it is the cases it is the bullet. I had this problem in some ruger .44 carbines. I used the lyman 429215. it cured the problem fed slick and killed deer.

If yours is like my 357 Rossi the stock is a bit short and you have the curved steel buttplate. 44-40 equivalent loads like it was designed for would probably be pretty manageable. I would not care for the full bore either. My Rossi has been a lot of fun.

DEP

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    If yours is like my 357 Rossi the stock is a bit short and you have the curved steel buttplate. 44-40 equivalent loads like it was designed for would probably be pretty manageable. I would not care for the full bore either. My Rossi has been a lot of fun.

DEP
    Yep. Only way I will shoot full bore MAGNUM loads is if I am hunting, and then I probably would not notice it. But for just walking the dog around my place the light 44 Special type loads in 44 Magnum cases will work fine for me.

Groo here
    The 44 spec and the 44 mag are the same length almost .
    The thing is that the 44 spec has more bullet out of the case than the 44 mag , too different bullets...........
    If you load a rn 44 spec bullet [ with a small flat on it] and a JHP factory 44mag , they will be about the same length and feed fine.
    But most bullets for 44 are made for the 44 mag and make the 44 spec quite short.