RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: National Peanut Festival

Boolit Master

National Peanut Festival

I've lived in Alabama for over 45 years and never went to the Peanut Festival in Dothan. I couldn't tell you how many years it has been going on, and surprisingly Lori hasn't been there either. Today was the last day for this year, they were going to disassemble the rides tonight and pack up. There were no C/ W artists, no livestock, just rides and vendors, and if you weren't going to ride anything there was no admission fee. Lori and I gassed up her car and off we went. It's a pretty fair piece from here to Dothan, maybe 100 miles or so, but we went anyway. I saw some rides that I know I'd never get on, even if I was thirty years younger. We wandered around, were agast at the prices the vendors wanted for their food, but Lori did want a slice of pizza. I thought it was absolutely terrible. Then we decided that we had seen enough and walked the I dunno how far back to the car. We looked at each other and decided that we were satisfied, both of us could now say that we've been there, and probably will never go again.

On the upside, December 1&2 there will be a big gun show in the same place! I probably won't go, as I stay pretty broke.......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master
    It's always fun to go to a gun show.
    Even a bad gun show is better than nothing.

Did you get any hot roasted peanuts, or, do you like those boiled peanuts?
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Broke here too, but a 100 mile one-way ride isn't that far. Several years ago a local TV station was showcasing what they called "One Tank Trips" for a round trip to and from their base broadcasting station. It was really nice to see all of the different attractions they described and we made a few of those. Gas costs more now than it did back then but I would love it if they would bring back that series. With both of us retired now that would help add variety to every week's routine, plus getting me a break from all of the honey-do's.

Boolit Buddy

Boiled peanuts are nasty. Used to get my cattle vet supplies from Jeffers at Dothan.

Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Boiled peanuts are nasty. Used to get my cattle vet supplies from Jeffers at Dothan.
    Dude, go get you some roasted then.... boiled right they are great...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Dude, go get you some roasted then.... boiled right they are great...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Several decades ago I was stationed @ Orlando AFB, and living on the economy, as a 2-striper and no base housing. Went to the train station for some reason, and there was an old black man selling peanuts in the shell, and claiming they were salted. I asked How could they be salted, they're in the shell? He answered "Days bawled". Ahhh - say again? "Days bawled"... Finally - gotcha...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    aint nothing wrong with a good boiled peanut lol Tom when is the next gun show up by you,id like to go to that Dothan show but ill have family in then

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    That's nuts, pun intended. Some folks like em, some folks don't. As for me and mine, we like em. I usually boil my own from green peanuts.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    Bob's on 431 just outside of Dothan is where I used to get boiled peanuts. They'd never make it back to Eufaula......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

I'm one of those folks that don't like boiled peanuts. I could starve to death while passing them out for free.
    Information not shared. is wasted.