Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bought a 1967 Colt Python. was it as good of a deal as I think?

Boolit Master

agreed, you did good. On a brisk day, them grips can fetch as high as 500$ on auction sites. seen it...

I'd have made the same deal you did.. IE.. running out and offering her cash for it.

Boolit Master
    My brother has one that is still in the box and it looks just like the one you bought. I bought the Python and a Diamond back, also in the box from a co worker for $500. It was 1976 and he needed a new set of tires for his dune buggy.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    My brother has one that is still in the box and it looks just like the one you bought. I bought the Python and a Diamond back, also in the box from a co worker for $500. It was 1976 and he needed a new set of tires for his dune buggy.
    Back in the 70's the going rate was $300 for a Python, used. Then all of a sudden the snake guns went up like a rocket!

Boolit Master
    Back in the 70's a new Python was less than $400. I think $375 or so.

(and a Ferrari Dino was $11,000)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Back in the 70's a new Python was less than $400. I think $375 or so.

(and a Ferrari Dino was $11,000)
    The Dino would have been the better investment. A lot better investment.

Good for you!

Boolit Grand Master

Doesn’t matter what you paid for it so long as you’re happy with the purchase and the old lady was happy with the sale. It looks like a nice specimen.

A friend of mine saw an elderly woman walking towards the Pawn shop as he was walking out. She was holding a pistol so he asked jokingly if she was robbing the place, she asked "do you want to buy this 38? They probably won't give me enough if you want it I'll sell it to you". He asked how much, she said 200?
    He replied quickly that he'd take it but needed to find an ATM. She said she'd wait. He came back and told her it was worth a lot more but all he had was $500.
    She said we agreed on $200. He said let me buy your dinner for you and your family. They argued; she took $300. Hugged each other.
    2nd Generation nickel plated 4-3/4" SAA 38-40 with hard rubber grips.
    He let me shoot it once!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Even if it was refinished that's one heck of a deal and it wasn't look refinished from what I can tell of those photos. You could easily double what you paid. If someone offered me that gun for $1600 I'd be interested.

Banned

im not a big python fan. Ive owned a couple and never saw what the fuss is all about. that said I wouldn't pay twice what you did but at 800 bucks I would have bought it just for future trade material.

Boolit Master
    I agree with all the above posts.
    The gunshop,, while in business to make money,, should NOT be so greedy as to extremely low-ball a person like that. They had to know that gun could do a QUICK turn around sale in the $1500-$2000 range. To offer less than 1/4th of it's value is not morally right. I know pawn shops usually offer less than 1/2 or so,, but on a hot ticket item,, will go as much as 70%,, knowing they can make a quick sale & a fair profit. That shop would lose my business, as well as me spreading it around how they were willing to take advantage of an older lady like that.
    The fact you were able to get to the lady,,, and be honest with her on it being worth more,, AND allowing how you only had $800 but were willing to pay that,, shows you were honest.
    I felt, as I read the post,, that if you'd had more in your pocket,, you would have paid more.

So,, you did quite well on what you paid,, and can do so with a clear conscience. Congratulations on a great find,, and being honest. As often said; "Honesty pays!"

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I had a 4" blued like yours - a couple of years newer but in pristine shape - just the revolver, no box, papers, etc. I had always heard about the "Python experience" and when I consigned a bunch of long guns a few years ago, the dealer had it come in - I spotted it and he did me a favor and let me have it for $800 - the same price he paid for it. Personally, I never care for it as I'd rather shoot my old Smith M & P - but I fully understand why there are those that like them.

Long story shorter - I decided that since it wasn't my cup of tea and it was sitting doing nothing, I'd consign it through another LGS that I have used for years. This was about two years ago. I took it in, had them look at it and said to tell me what they'd put it up for. I was shocked when they came back with $2,200.00. But - I wen along with them thinking it would be there a long time - nope! It sold in two days. A guy came in who collects them and has plenty of $$. All it take is one buyer. I made a good return my investment so I was happy - the LGS got their commission and the buyer was happy - so it was good all the way around. I have no regrets and am glad someone got it who hopefully is enjoying it. Colt won't ever make 'em again - at least in the quality that they were so kudos to those that like 'em, take care of 'em and shoot 'em!

Groo here
    As much as I like saving money,,,,,,,,, you stood up for the lady ,,,,, WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I like V-spring Colt D/A revolvers, and my safe's contents bear that out. I think highly of the Colt Python, though I have never owned one or thirsted for one. My most recent chance to land one came about 3 years ago at a local pawn shop, a blued 6" with some firing and holster wear for $1100. I passed, and I don't regret doing so. $1100 would have enabled two used S&W 686s or Ruger GP-100s, and while neither has a Python's elegance both are more durable and practical firearms for everyday usage. (Bias alert--I consider the S&W 586/686 revolver series the most perfect 357 Magnum revolver ever produced in this country)
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    (Bias alert--I consider the S&W 586/686 revolver series the most perfect 357 Magnum revolver ever produced in this country)
    You and I have the same bias. That series are built like tanks and just run and run and run w/ no issues.

You did very well, did right by that lady. I even agree with taking one away from the store based upon their actions. Congrats is well in order!

I shot my brother's Python and his S&W 27 in the 70's before he let them go. Both made me look good but I liked the m27 best. SFIL had a .38special 8" Python Target. He declined to let me shoot it and I don't know where it went.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

yup. twice the gun at 1/2 the cost. Ill add the K frames to that. A 19 is just as strong as a python, most ive shot are more accurate and reliable and actually easier to shoot DA. Lots of money for a fancy bluing job.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You and I have the same bias. That series are built like tanks and just run and run and run w/ no issues.

Boolit Master
    I much prefer the S&W model 27 and 28 over the Python. Actually, I prefer it over all others.

Boolit Buddy
    It's crazy what Colt's snake series go for today. A friend who owned a gun shop back in the 90's had one of the Anacondas in 44 Magnum that came from the factory with the camo finish, camo scope and a Colt bag. He almost couldn't give it away. He offered it to me for $400 but we were poor as church mice back then. I wish I had scrounged up the money somewhere and bought it.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast