Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: bought a 1967 Colt Python. was it as good of a deal as I think?

bought a 1967 Colt Python. was it as good of a deal as I think?

Like all good things, this one comes with some to to. Here's the backstory..
    So I go to a gun shop in Fargo, to look at a new carry piece. While I'm browsing. this lady comes in to sell a revolver. I'm really only half paying attention to the conversation. But the short of it is that it's apiece she got from her father, but theres some bad blood there so she wants to sell it She knows zero, nada, about guns. and I hear the guy mention python. So now I'm paying attention. From a side glance - it looks to be in great shape. He goes on a spiel about well, it's old, and maybe not much market for it, everyone wants auto pistols now. So he makes a show of looking in a book and comes up with a price of $400. of course she asks if that's a lot, (since all of the other guns in the store are tagged at full retail) and he says, well, the other guy that works here might take an interest and he could maybe take it off your hands for a few bucks more, and to come back in a bit when hes' back. (I know little about colts, but know they usually carry a lot higher price tag than this guys talking.) So the lady leaves the store. and the moment the door closes the guy starts to actually laugh about it to a co worker. For some reason this just sent me nuts. no idea why, none of my business. However, I was insulted on the lady's behalf. So I left to catch her in the parking lot, where she's still getting to her car. I walk up to her and tell her that they lowballed her by a long shot. It's worth waaay more than that. and that I'd offer double what they had, right here, right now. Told her it was still a low offer, but that was all I had on me in cash. Well, she accepted without hesitation.

The bad part, was that I walked into the store, right up to the clerk, with the python. and said, if he hadn't been such a jack wagon (well, I used a different set of wording to be sure) and not tried to screw someone so blatantly bad, he would have made 2 sales that day, as I was going in to try a few carry guns and likely buy one (they have a range on site, and many firearms to rent/try) but as it was. I not only bought the python, I was also going to shop somewhere else.

Sooo... now if you're still with me. Here's what I got for $800. Thoughts. Hoping I didn't get all sanctimonious for nothing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0059.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	230292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	230293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0083.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	230294Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0069.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	230295
    Last edited by anothernewb; 11-12-2018 at 12:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0065.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	230296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0085.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	230297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0086.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	230298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	230299

The only wear marks I can find is one small one by the muzzle on the right side of the gun, a light turn line. and an odd surface scratch not through the bluing on the right side right in front of the cylinder.

I'm hoping it's not been refinished and that the grips are original. The serial number comes back to 1967, and while she did not have the original box or papers. she does have the original bill of sale to her father from 1973 from the US army provost marshall. Fort Carson, Co. Which I thought was kinda cool.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'm no expert on Pythons but that one looks nice; Bore on it good?

I also know very little about pythons. But I love wheel guns. Bore looks very sharp. Looks like there might be some residue from lead along one or two of the grooves, but nothing that looked odd to me, chambers line up nicely, and locks up tight. Didn't check for headshake or anything else really, probably just too excited. Also didn't have a borescope either. just kind of eyeballed it in the daylight.

Boolit Master
    You DONE good on both counts, PRICE and NOT cheating her either.

You are my hero for today. Well done.

Looks like it would be worth about twice what you paid for it. Congrats!
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    your a good man who did a good thing, and you won out in the end, bravo, i hate liars and cheats

Boolit Master

3x what you paid for it all day long.

Boolit Master
    I think you done very well. $800 for a nice python and helped the little lady from being taken advantage of. From your pics seems to be in nice shape and for sure won't be going down in price like some other factory revolvers. Those jerks in the gun shop were definitely trying to seriously low ball the lady. I was standing in a well known gun store one day and a guy comes in with an ar 15 he wanted to sell. $150 was what they offered. And wouldn't budge on that number. he walked out the door and was still in the parking lot. I told him that price as BS and he could do better as it was a pre ban and the assault weapons ban had not closed as yet. And no I didn't buy it from him as I already had a pre ban Colt HBAR. Frank

Boolit Master
    I sold a 4 inch one blue steel like new for 2,110.00 dollars. You got a hell of a deal. Colt not making them any more. Gun stores like to rip people off low balling them. I was in a gun store this guy had a colt single action in 38 special caliber which is a rare gun. They offer him 200.00 and he took it.

Boolit Master
    Nice revolver and nice thing you did.

Boolit Buddy
    4" Blue Pythons are usually 1800 - 2500 depending on market, whether there's a box/papers, etc. You did very well on this.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Boolit Grand Master

Considering they go for around $2k I think you did all right.

I understand that people who sell stuff for a living, must buy it for less than they can sell it, to cover overhead and to make a profit. But that is not an excuse to be a cheat and a thief. Good for you!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    I just love stories where the bad guys lose and the good folks live happily ever after!

Boolit Grand Master
    There are some very fine ironies threaded through the O/P's story. Kinda made my day, it did.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    4" Blue Pythons are usually 1800 - 2500 depending on market, whether there's a box/papers, etc. You did very well on this.
    My experience around here also. Done good.

Boolit Grand Master

bought a 1967 Colt Python. was it as good of a deal as I think?

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I understand that people who sell stuff for a living, must buy it for less than they can sell it, to cover overhead and to make a profit. But that is not an excuse to be a cheat and a thief. Good for you!
    You said it more eloquently then me. If you’re in the gun business you should know current trends. Not exact details for items you don’t sell often. But the snake gun market has been inflated for a long time. So much that there’s been articles in magazines about them. That dealer was straight up trying to rip the lady off. I know she accepted $800 but that’s a very lowball offer as well. But the OP told her this so if both parties agreed it is what it is.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast