RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyGraf & SonsWidenersRotoMetals2

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Got me a Rifled Barrel for my old A5

Vendor Sponsor

Gun came in today and whereas it is not cosmetically wonderful, it will work for what I want to do, and it will clean up to my desired level of finish. I installed both my Slug Barrels on it and ran dummy rounds thru it and it runs fine, so with some clean up and installation of a Recoil Pad and some Sling Swivels it will be good to go.

This gun is a 1963 Model Belgian Made A5. 1963 was the first year for the 2 piece Cartridge Lifter, and "Speed Feed" Feature. This feature allows loading the gun without having to push the bolt release button to clear the lifter. IE: it now loads like every other gun made. Except with the Bolt Open IE; Empty Magazine, you can either stuff a round into the magazine, whereupon it automatically feeds said round into the chamber and closes the bolt,,, gun ready to fire. Or you can Port Load the first round. Then subsequent rounds are stuffed into the magazine to bring the gun to full readiness at 4+1. I would like to add another 2-3 rounds with an extended mag tube but will probably have to make that myself.

So in 10 days I will be allowed to actually take the gun home and start working on it. Not much to do to start testing slug accuracy just need the Recoil Pad installed, and I will do that too.

Hopefully the weather will improve by then and our range will get reopened.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Vendor Sponsor

Finally got some perfect slugs out of the Russian Mould.

End result was Dielectric grease on the sprue plate. 800F with some tin added.

The Big Slug pin IE; 625 gr I had no problem with and the boolits dropped off the pin directly into the egg crate.

The Plug in Wad Pin ran at the same temp and took some cooling and wiggling to get it to release but I got 5 perfect slugs in a row, before I had to go. Shut everything down and all I have to do is plug the pot back in and come to temp and start casting.

I see this one and the big one as being the primaries with this mould, but who know's, the Screw on Wads may prove good too.

At any rate if any of these fly strait they will be the primary Hunting Slugs for the A5.

I still have STI slugs, Lyman Sabot Slugs, Lee 1oz slugs and Pumpkin Balls, some 1 1/8 oz Thug Slugs and some AQ slugs to try.

We are going to figure this out, and I have three guns to shoot everything thru to check viability of each slug type in each type of barrel.

We now know how to Roll Crimp better than most, we have all the best slugs in the world. We all have guns made for this.

By the time we're done we should actually be experts in the field.

Nothing is safe!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345