Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Anyone shoot the 12.7x44R Swedish round with black powder?

Boolit Master

Anyone shoot the 12.7x44R Swedish round with black powder?

I have a Husqvarna with a 28" sporter barrel, sporterized forearm. I refinished the gun, and slow rust browned it all, redid the stocks and added a peep sight. It shoots good with Unique, and I consider ok with about any task I ask of it, but cant get the question of how good will it shoot with holy black, having shot many a round of 45/70 with black and easily held MOA out to 400 yds. Since the 12.7 is basically a 50/70 short, or a 50/60 I thought I would ask for any good shooting loads before I started experimenting. I have been shooting a Lee 464 grain made for the S&W .500, made out of soft lead or wheel weights, with the bullet touching the rifling. I cant help but think that a compressed load of 2ffg with a veg fiber wad underneath it would have to shoot very good. The barrel is bright and shiny, good deep lands and grooves, a few very small pits that don't seem to affect accuracy. All feedback welcome!

I am in a Rehab right now from surgery, hip removal, will be going home in a week with a plastic spacer and about 6 weeks later have a new hip put in, have been fighting infection for over a year now and this is the only thing that will work.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Does it have a Vredes barrel (heavy Metford rifling almost hexagonal when wiewed from the muzzle) or a cut rifling barrel?
    The early ones tend to shoot better than average and are'nt fuzzy at all in regards to bullet and load.
    The cut rifling ones can be made to shoot very (very) good with a little load work.

http://gotavapen.se/gota/mats/karbin_m1885.htm
    http://dutchman.rebooty.com/rb.html

I would assume it has the very deep rifling that turns the bullet into a hex shape when it leaves the barrel. The shoot Great with about 60gr of 2F and the Lee 450 gr sized to .510 . some of mine will take different length cases than others so the powder charge can very. Some have very nice bore's and clean up very easy.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master
    It has the hex bore, and I have been shooting the Lee 450 unsized got best accuracy with my smokless load. I figured about 60 grs of 2ffg would be a compressed load, thanks for the feedback!

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    That sounds about right.
    Those (ex) muzzleloader barrels was made for 90 grains and a hollow base slug, so they can take lots of crud before accuracy drops of.