Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: Doe with Lee C430-310 rf

Doe with Lee C430-310 rf

Score another for the Lee c430-310rf. I am shooting the lee 310 out of a 444 marlin , cast of WQCOW gas checked , sized to 0.4315 . They test about 22 BHN with my Lee hardness tester . The present load I am shooting launches the boolit at 1700 FPS over the chronograph.

I headed out this am early and set up on a proven spot , nice quiet day not much wind light snow , I. Was there about an hour and a half when I heard something of to my left . I watched for a bit and seen a deer bound through a small opening and back into cover , couldn’t tell what it was but it wasn’t huge, I figured it had made me but the direction it was heading if it hadn’t made me it might pop into the next opening . It did slowly,I could see her for a bit but had no shot then she took a step forward and I let fly . She jerked a bit but didn’t obviously act hit . So I stayed put for a bit, I thought I heard her crash . So I went to check it out . There was hair on the ground but no blood . Fortunately she only made it about 30 yards .
    When I gutted her out I realized that she was quartering to me the boolit entered behind the front shoulder on the right and exited about 4 inches in front of the rear leg on the left . No massive wounds just a hole and good straight line penetration, as you would expect from a big bore hard cast.

I had forgot my phone on the kitchen counter this morning so no pictures from the bush

I have a pic from the garage but can’t get it to upload at the moment

Boolit Master
    Good story, I like reading others experiences when hunting, if you can fool their eyes,ears and nose you got the advantage. Certain stands I have I don’t even try if the wind not right. Love to see pics also. Happy huntin to ya.

Boolit Master
    what load were you using for that big slug?

Quote Originally Posted by tdoor4570 View Post
    what load were you using for that big slug?
    25 gr of lil gun . No pressure signs in my gun but not a published load , so I can’t recommend anyone try it

Boolit Master

That boolit/load would shoot through three deer plus some! I lined up 11 gallon milk jugs trying to catch a .432 265 Ranch Dog at 1300 fps. It went through all of them.

Crazy how hard it is to see that quarter sometimes. I also think that ribs can cause more deflection than we give them credit for. I shot a buck two years ago with a cast 30-06 load. Despite a slight down angle, the boolit exited much higher than the entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    That boolit/load would shoot through three deer plus some! I lined up 11 gallon milk jugs trying to catch a .432 265 Ranch Dog at 1300 fps. It went through all of them.

Crazy how hard it is to see that quarter sometimes. I also think that ribs can cause more deflection than we give them credit for. I shot a buck two years ago with a cast 30-06 load. Despite a slight down angle, the boolit exited much higher than the entrance.
    Yes I have never tried to catch one of these slugs but I bet they will penetrate farther than one would expect , good to hear someone else can have problems judging the quartering to / quartering away thing , I especially seem to misjudge the quartering to angles , thought it was just me

Boolit Mold
    Just curious how you came up with a starting load for this? I have a handi in .444. I also have the same mold and same powder. I would like to find more starting information to work with this boolit.
    Thanks

Boolit Master

Well done!
    Michael

Awsome

Quote Originally Posted by iamdrglass View Post
    Just curious how you came up with a starting load for this? I have a handi in .444. I also have the same mold and same powder. I would like to find more starting information to work with this boolit.
    Thanks
    I did a metric ton of comparing 44 mag , 445 super mag and 444 marlin data and extrapolated from there. I went very cautiously and shot 10 at a time over the chrono looking for any large variations in velocity as a warning sign and looking for any indications of pressure eg sticky extraction case condition etc I haven’t had any problems but I can’t recommend this to anyone

Boolit Master

My daughter used that exact boolit over H110 to take her first few deer in a 94/44 trapper all DRT. Nice shooting thanks for the write up!

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning and Congratulations ! Nothing like a good heavy smack on a corn cruncher to end the day with smiles.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Vendor Sponsor

I shoot the 310 in a SBH and I don't use anywhere NEAR that much Lil Gun! I think I am around 20.5 or so..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Https://photos.app.goo.gl/51MirL3M43Ni1Gec8

A pic of the deer with a broom handle showing the bullet path

Good shooting , alot of times it hard to catch that quartering towards you . The only big bore I have is 50 cal. ML , once you get that chunk of lead up and running its like a freight train.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Bub
    Good shooting, great story...
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Don't think CPR would have revived that one.......LOL

Boolit Master

DougGuy
    He is shooting a 444 so that may well explain the difference.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!