Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: Savage 99 - 250 Savage Pet Loads?

Boolit Buddy

Savage 99 - 250 Savage Pet Loads?

I have an early 50’s Savage 99 in 250 Savage that my Dad had drilled and tapped for a Unertl 4x Hawk scope by Flaig’s Guns in 1960. He reports having used both 100 gr Winchester and Remington factory loads successfully, and I’d like to deer hunt with it this year. I have some 100 gr Sierra spire point flat base J bullets, and IMR 3031 and 4064. Don’t have a lot of time to experiment, can someone share a load or two they had some success with? I have a Hornady manual with data on both these powders, just looking for a recommendation. Perhaps next year I will try cast in it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkrem View Post
    I have an early 50’s Savage 99 in 250 Savage that my Dad had drilled and tapped for a Unertl 4x Hawk scope by Flaig’s Guns in 1960. He reports having used both 100 gr Winchester and Remington factory loads successfully, and I’d like to deer hunt with it this year. I have some 100 gr Sierra spire point flat base J bullets, and IMR 3031 and 4064. Don’t have a lot of time to experiment, can someone share a load or two they had some success with? I have a Hornady manual with data on both these powders, just looking for a recommendation. Perhaps next year I will try cast in it. Thanks.
    I'm on the road home; I can provide some pet loads in a few hours when I get there. I love the .250 Savage. Do you know what twist it has?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    50's M99 will have the slower 1-14 twist. Many won't give decent accuaracy with the longer 100 grain bullets. The Speer Hot Core 100 does fairly well in my 1953 M99R, but that bullet is shorter than most 100s. The bullet many swear by in the 1-14 twist is the Speer Hot Core 87 gr sp. I've taken several deer with it in mine and never had a problem. I don't have any experience with the two powders the op listed, I've mostly used 4895,4320, RL-15 and lately Ramshot Big Game. I don't see why he couldn't use his powders with published loads, just don't try to hot rod the old 99.

I've had good luck with Win760 or H414 with a Hornady 100spt (newer SST too long), as well as H4895 and RL15. I've also used Sierra's 90HPBT, which looks like a varmint bullet but is their "GameKing" design with a thicker jacket; it has been very accurate in all the 250's I've owned with IMR4895 at about 2900fps (+ or - 50) and should work well in your 1:14. I no longer have a 99 in a 250 Savage , but have a 700Ltd Rem in that caliber that is 1:10. I've found there is nothing "magic" in pushing the cartridge to 3000fps and that it works very well on deer within its range limitations at the lower "published" pressure levels. It is such a pleasant cartridge to shoot, and when "housed" in a Savage 99 a "class act"

Boolit Master
    The only way to tell if your rifle will handle the Sierra 100 grainer is to try it. My elderly 250 stabilizes the Remington 100 grain bullet but doesn't really shoot it well. I have gone to the 90 grain Sierra that kaiser recommends as it does well in both my old and new 250's. And all I have used for powders for full power loads have been either RL-17 or H4831sc so no help on that front.

For a really fun plinker try 10 grains of TrailBoss with any 87 to 90 grain bullet, jacketed or cast.

My wife has forbidden me to change her 87grSpeer/ IMR 4320 load or to experiment with "new" loads for her Sako .250 Savage. And leave the 3x9 at 6power, dangit. SWMBO has a 6 deer, 6 shots streak going on deer and doesn't want me mucking it up!
    Sorry to post a bolt action on a lever action thread but at least it's the right cartridge!
    Last edited by Texas by God; 11-12-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    My old 99 250 Sav. shot both the 100's and 87's well with 3031 at a "below max" muzzle velocity of about 2600. In fact, the largest bodied blacktail deer I ever shot (well over 300 on the hoof) was taken with the 250 and an 87 gr SP never taking another step. Yours will also probably do just fine with the 3031. Years ago I traded the rifle after it became too valuable to take out in our monsoon rains but I loved the caliber so much, I had a custom 250 Sav. barrel made my the T/C Encore which loves 90 gr CB's.

I have two 99's, both in 250-3000. The rifle is a late 40's vintage (1949 IIRC) with the 1-14 twist. It will not shoot any tipped bullets, but it does just fine with Sierra or Hornady 100gr SP. The Sierra's shoot slightly better, but either does more than good enough for deer. Also shoots Hornady 75gr HP well for chucks. Nothing heavier or longer will shoot at all. I have had good luck with H4895 and H4350. For cast I use Lyman 257420. I started using that bullet in my 25-222 Copperhead, loading it with Blue Dot and Red Dot for small game. Tried it in the 99s, and it shoots well in them as well.
    The other 99, a 99A carbine, has the 1-10 twist, and will shoot anything well. Great cartridge and rifles.
    “The State that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
    ― Thucydides

“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”
    ― Thucydides

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ole_270 View Post
    50's M99 will have the slower 1-14 twist. Many won't give decent accuaracy with the longer 100 grain bullets. The Speer Hot Core 100 does fairly well in my 1953 M99R, but that bullet is shorter than most 100s. The bullet many swear by in the 1-14 twist is the Speer Hot Core 87 gr sp. I've taken several deer with it in mine and never had a problem. I don't have any experience with the two powders the op listed, I've mostly used 4895,4320, RL-15 and lately Ramshot Big Game. I don't see why he couldn't use his powders with published loads, just don't try to hot rod the old 99.
    This is the best bullet for my 50's era, 1-14 inch twist M-99. With 4895, or WW-748 I can get 1 1/2 inch groups. I had some decent groups with RL-12, but that powder disappeared before I was able to test it thoroughly. No bullet longer than the Speer flat based spire point will group in mine. I had some 100 grain round nose jacketed that would also do OK, but no better than 2 inches. I don't know who made them.
    The Lead-free law here in California has put paid to my use of this rifle for hunting. But I hope to make up for it when I retire and move back to America.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I'm a firm believer in the 87 grain Speer Hot-Cor. In the older slow twist Savages it has been my go-to bullet. While the 100 grain Remington Core-Lokt will often shoot "ok", inevitably the 87 Speer betters its performance. You gotta ask yourself, if a bullet is on the ragged edge of stability at 100 yards, what will it be doing out at 200 or 300 yards if a shot at that distance presents itself?

My powder of choice used to be 3031, but then I discovered Varget and never looked back. Of late, CFE-223 is getting more than its share of use in the .250. In fact, my hunting ammo this year is loaded with that powder. Excellent accuracy and it really does go a long way toward eliminating copper fouling.

Sorry, as much as I enjoy shooting/hunting with cast bullets I draw the line at using them on deer in the small sizes that shoot well in the 1-14" twisted Savages.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    I'm a firm believer in the 87 grain Speer Hot-Cor. In the older slow twist Savages it has been my go-to bullet. While the 100 grain Remington Core-Lokt will often shoot "ok", inevitably the 87 Speer betters its performance. You gotta ask yourself, if a bullet is on the ragged edge of stability at 100 yards, what will it be doing out at 200 or 300 yards if a shot at that distance presents itself?

My powder of choice used to be 3031, but then I discovered Varget and never looked back. Of late, CFE-223 is getting more than its share of use in the .250. In fact, my hunting ammo this year is loaded with that powder. Excellent accuracy and it really does go a long way toward eliminating copper fouling.

Sorry, as much as I enjoy shooting/hunting with cast bullets I draw the line at using them on deer in the small sizes that shoot well in the 1-14" twisted Savages.
    I have a '70s vintage 99A (straight wrist, saddle carbine type) that has never shot very well at all and is my least favorite 99. It had one of the barrel mounted sling swivels on it when I got it and removing that at least made it cosistently on the paper, but I can't help but wonder since it's a post 1 million if a rebore might be in the works.

I have a 99R in the .250 as well, and it showed promise, but never really has had much done with it so far. I'll get to working it out eventually.

Boolit Master
    Shot my recently acquired 99 Savage 250 last week for deer sight in
    It is a 1934 dated lightweight deluxe Pistol grip Takedown
    with a 2-7 Leo VX1 in a classic Paul Jaeger detachable mount
    Formerly owned by an old time Northern WI deer hunter:
    Hand load in FL sized R-P cases, WLR primer,
    34.0 gr Varget,(max in Lyman No 50 is 35.5)
    under Speer 100 gr JHP, 2.51" oal. I was amazed at
    shooting 2 shots at 100yards into about 0.9" wide at point of aim.
    Then, I adjusted up 2 min for final hunting zero:
    final 3 shots about 1 3/4" above first two into 0.84"wide x 0.26".
    I could hardly believe it. I think I will keep this one. Took it up to
    No.Wi deer camp. Never fired a shot.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Oh, I then actually hunted with the load with Rem 100gr PSPCL bullets.
    Did not trust the 100 gr Speer HPs..
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Buddy
    IMR 3031/30gr/100gr Speer in a Savage 99...........You likely have a 1-14 twist so Speer is the shortest ogive in that weight class. 1/2 " groups at 100 yards in my 99. Use at own risk but not a hottie.Dropped several 200lb + Alberta deer. IMR 4895 is another good one along with Win 760.

Boolit Master
    About 30 years ago I bought a Win. M-70 in 250 Savage caliber, mostly for the caliber. Wanted to use 100 grain bullets in it but all it would give me was shotgun patterns at 100 yards, usually 6-8 inches. Tried everything from COL adjustments, fast or medium or slow powders, nothing helped. Got the action glass bedded by a craftsman who knows this process better than anyone else I know doing this work, no help. Then came the day I was looking at the rifle's shipping carton and read "Rate of Twist 1:14". I screamed so loud it hurt my throat. After much searching I settled on the Nosler 85 grain Ballistic Tip bullet and loaded several rounds over different powder charges. Suddenly those shotgun patterns became very nice rifle groups. The rifle was not particular about the powder speed or pressure, it simply behaved well with any charge under that bullet. So long as I do my part with bullet placement the rifle now produces one shot venison when it goes to the woods.

I have a 1952 vintage 99 with 1:14 twist. It handles most 100 grain spire point bullets well enough for hunting and will work very well with the Hornady 117 grain round nose. The 117 is really death on deer and likely heavier animals. I have killed 6 or 7 deer with this rifle over the years and find it very satisfactory but still cling to my .30 rifles.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    The worst 100gr bullet in a 99 1-14" twist was /is the Hornady SP for patterns.I bought a nice 99A carbine that is supposed to be 1-10 and well it turned out to be 1-14 so it got sold.Try 34.5gr of IMR 4895 and a 87gr SP.......it will tilt deer all day long out of a 99 from Ken Waters pet loads.I've used that load as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Just fed a 4X4 WT a 100gr Sierra this AM from my 250-3000 /700 Classic at 225 yards.Ran 100 yards with no lungs and left no blood.Bullet exited ?

Boolit Buddy
    Got a nice buck yesterday with my old Ruger Tang Safety 250 using a 100 gr Speer Hot Core instead of my favorite 100 Hornady Interlock. Shot was 150 yards quartering away, centered the far shoulder. The buck dropped out of the scope at the shot so fast I thought I'd missed. Never even saw him quiver.

Same rifle with the 100 gr Interlock 2 years ago

My M99R using the 87 Hot Core will get used to help fill doe tags the rest of the season

Banned

That's a nice deer! I got out a while opening day, didn't see all the buck activity I did during archery season. One day I hope to connect with a wall hanger like that one.