WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Shortgun loads?

Boolit Master

Shortgun loads?

I am new to the BP game and recently came to own an Optima ML pistol. Looking for suggestions for a good powder and loads before I waste any more money. Tried some Shockey's Gold sticks as that's all they had in the store other than Tripple7 (which I have heard bad things about, crud ring) and couldn't get consistent burns with it. I have a bunch of 250 grain XTP's on hand that I want to use, with sabot.

Cheers, Rod.

Boolit Master
    I have used plenty of Triple 7 in two revolvers and never had an issue with the crud ring people speak of. It may well be that it needs a greater powder charge, but I’ve read some believe it’s from the hotter ignition of 209 primers. Dunno.

Loose powder will always be superior. And if speed of loading or convenience is an issue it’s easy to use speed loaders. Every firearm is different and will have a sweet spot. That can’t be found (usually) when using specific pellet-like powders, which are also more expensive.

BH209 is said to be both energetic and accurate, and with smokeless clean up (not soap and water). But it’s pricey.

I really like using Olde Eynsford powder. It’s energetic and inexpensive, but I have to buy it through the mail and to counter the HazMat fee order several pounds at one time. Even purchasing from a local store reflects these fees. They pay them too, and pass them on to the customer. I used to buy a pound at a time of 3F Triple 7 from BassPro. But during the dark years when things were hard to find, that being one of them, I found that the online price at Grafs was much lower and it only took those 3 pounds to about break even, except that I no longer had to drive 30 mins one way to be let down and waste fuel and time.

Boolit Master
    Oh, I forgot to mention that the 250 grn XTP’s, meant for the .45 Colt, don’t perform well on deerwith stout charges. One fellow used one in his caplock muzzleloader and it literally blew up on impact as the velocity was too high at that range. Not sure what your intentions are but assume it’s for hunting.

I’d burn through those gaining familiarity and switch to a 240 grn XTP for the .44 Mag as they are cheaper than the .45 magnum variety from Hornady. Or maybe look at the 300 grn option for the .45 Colt (differs from the magnum version) as I believe it works in the same velocity range as the 250.

Of course this all depends on your powder charge used...

It seems that it produces really good accuracy with Black Horn 209 and 240 grain XTP's.
    Both people were shooting similar loads with a scoped Optima pistol and Black Horn 209 powder.
    If you're only shooting BH 209 in one pistol, IMHO that powder would be worth spending the extra money on.

1. https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bla...v2-pistol.html

2. https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bla...v2-pistol.html

3. https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bla...v2-pistol.html
    Last edited by arcticap; 11-11-2018 at 05:15 PM.

This very recent thread has photos and posts from 2 more people using 80-85 grains of Black Horn 209 with their Optima pistol
    Both are using a Barnes 225 grain XPB:--->>> https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bla...ma-pistol.html
    Last edited by arcticap; 11-11-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    Oh, I forgot to mention that the 250 grn XTP’s, meant for the .45 Colt, don’t perform well on deerwith stout charges. One fellow used one in his caplock muzzleloader and it literally blew up on impact as the velocity was too high at that range. Not sure what your intentions are but assume it’s for hunting.

I’d burn through those gaining familiarity and switch to a 240 grn XTP for the .44 Mag as they are cheaper than the .45 magnum variety from Hornady. Or maybe look at the 300 grn option for the .45 Colt (differs from the magnum version) as I believe it works in the same velocity range as the 250.

Of course this all depends on your powder charge used...
    I use the 250 XTP's in my 45 Colt in front of a max charge of H110 and they work well. I figure I should be able to find a charge with the Optima that will run them at a similar velocity. I also have some 300 XTP's that I'd like to try. Might have to take a look at the 240's as well but being I have near 1k of the 250's I'd like to put them to use.

Boolit Master
    I must admit I’m rather surprised. Hornady no longer shows the velocity ranges, but as I recall it didn’t go up into the hotter realm a Colt load can be pushed, and the one instance I know of it being used at a higher velocity it blew up causing a nasty but shallow wound, and that was the same bullet you are asking about.

I’m uncertain as to the range this deer was shot or the load used, though I know it came from a caplock muzzleloader, and typically those push a bullet of that sectional density about as fast as a magnum handgun load. Maybe his shot was close and the load stout, and with an energetic powder.

I am still wondering if anyone has tried full diameter paper patched bullets in one of those pistols? It seems like that would be the most effective on game, but the recoil may be prohibitive. If the muzzle is counterbored it may not shoot well. I want to see how it works but don't want to buy a pistol to find out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    I must admit I’m rather surprised. Hornady no longer shows the velocity ranges, but as I recall it didn’t go up into the hotter realm a Colt load can be pushed, and the one instance I know of it being used at a higher velocity it blew up causing a nasty but shallow wound, and that was the same bullet you are asking about.

I’m uncertain as to the range this deer was shot or the load used, though I know it came from a caplock muzzleloader, and typically those push a bullet of that sectional density about as fast as a magnum handgun load. Maybe his shot was close and the load stout, and with an energetic powder.
    I have an older Hornady catalog with a bar graph that indicates velocity ranges for various handgun bullets. The 250 XTP shows an 800 - 1,600 fps range whereas the 300 XTP rates 100 fps faster on the high end. The 240 grain bullet starts out at 1,100 fps which is why I never used it with my 45 Colt revolver, but I can see where it might fare better in a BP pistol with the velocity some guy are claiming.

Boolit Master
    Interesting. Not really what I recalled.