Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: 1949 Marlin 336 question

1949 Marlin 336 question

If I read correctly, 1949 was the first year of production of the 336. I have such a rifle (F serial #)and it appears to have a one-piece firing pin.

Two questions:
    1. Is this the way it was, or did someone switch in a one-piece before I got the rifle? I've seen early 336 rifles with parts from 36's that the factory apparently wanted to use up. My G-numbered 336 has the two-piece pin.

2. Is removing the one-piece pin as simple as drifting the rear pin out of the bolt? IF not where is the tutorial on this? Does it make any difference which direction that pin is drifted?

Thanks,
    PBSmith.

On my 36G (1964) it has the normal one piece firing pin with the transfer plunger between it and the hammer. The rear pin, flat tension spring, and transfer plunger must be removed first, then pry off the extractor to reveal the pin that holds the firing pin in. I drift the roll pins from bottom to top on the bolt but it probably doesn't matter. A roll pin punch is best.
    I hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply Tex. Actually I don't want to remove this but I'm getting the same lightly dented primer and misfire problem that you reported, and I thought it would be a good idea to clean house. But I'm also using CCI primers (some quite old) and just noticed a couple of them had not been seated deeply enough. Thus several possible explanations for the misfires.

I'm somewhat confused about your "36G (1964)" rifle. Is that a Model 36? Weren't they discontinued after the 336 came out?

Quote Originally Posted by PBSmith View Post
    Thanks for your reply Tex. Actually I don't want to remove this but I'm getting the same lightly dented primer and misfire problem that you reported, and I thought it would be a good idea to clean house. But I'm also using CCI primers (some quite old) and just noticed a couple of them had not been seated deeply enough. Thus several possible explanations for the misfires.

I'm somewhat confused about your "36G (1964)" rifle. Is that a Model 36? Weren't they discontinued after the 336 came out?
    I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. The 36G was the first Glenfield Marlin made. They only made 6000 in 1964-1965. It is a 2/3 mag pistol grip birch uncheckered stock variant of the 336. The barrel has a Cursive Marlin on it as well as Glenfield Model 36G. I hope my info is correct. I usually don't care for scopes on a lever action, but this one is the most accurate Marlin I've owned and that's a high bar.
    Since my bolt/ firing pin strip and oil, I've had no misfires at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad you posted on that problem of misfires. I saved that informative thread and will be going back to it as I investigate my own situation. Just discovering via the web that this has been a common problem with 336's and that the causes can be manifold.

Right now I'm looking into the possibility that the primers weren't seated properly. Have experienced this with reloads in other calibers/guns. I don't have factory ammo to run through for a check like you did, but I'm reloading some fresh rounds, making sure about the primer seating.

Good shooting.
    PBSmith

If proper primer seating doesn't disappear your misfires, I would suggest removing the bolt from the receiver and power flushing the firing pin channel from the front.

https://shop.brownells.com/gun-clean...CABEgLtRfD_BwE

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Thanks for that suggestion.