WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: BP Compresssing tool

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

BP Compresssing tool

Would a .41 inch punch be wide enough to compress BP in a .45-70 case?

Boolit Grand Master

With a heavy wad like the 060 thick harder materials it should be okay, with thinner lighter wads it may allow the edges to fold up around it. .410 is roughly 050 small or .025 on a side.7/16 or .440 would be better. The head on a 3/8 allen head cap screw might be very close to what you want a little work with it clamped in a drill and file could take it to just what you want. Another to check would be a 1/4" flat heads head dia.

Boolit Grand Master

I just saw a Lyman M die in .41 cal for ten bucks and wondered if I could use it to compress BP using a press. I guess I’ll pass on it. Thanks for your input.

Boolit Grand Master

Just thinking. If I went with a cap screw or a flat head, I could chuck it in my drill press and adjust it for the same depth each time. That should work shouldn’t it?

Boolit Grand Master

You might be able to lock a washer between 2 nuts for a stop on the case mouth if the nut will fit inside the case mouth. Depending on the compression it may be hard on a drill press rack and pinion/spindle. Off the top of my head a 1/4" nut is 7/16" across the flats so it might just go. If the nuts are big enough 2 nuts jammed in location would do it. compress to the nut just touches and your there.

Vendor Sponsor

$20 gets you one, a good one at that, that you can install in a die body you have now.
    Here is a link....

https://www.buffaloarms.com/reloadin...-body-van45rcp
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Just thinking. If I went with a cap screw or a flat head, I could chuck it in my drill press and adjust it for the same depth each time. That should work shouldn’t it?
    This is one of those deals if you gonna do it - do it right! I dont reckon a drill press would be accurate enough and the compression stem needs to be fairly neat in the case and straight every stroke - If you really need to save some bucks can buy bolts with the thread to fit your RCBS die body (I believe they 9/16th NF) but then you need a lathe to turn the shank. I would make one myself - I have the lathe and if I scratch around in my workshop for a bit the bolt will be there someplace - but to save twenty bucks ??? ................................not really

Banned

indian joe is correct - do it right. just get the proper BACO plug and stick in a lyman "M" die body and be done with it.

I have now cut a good fitting tool of my own but when I started out, I just bought a 7/8" 14tpi bolt to thread into my press and used a .38 Special case with a black line on it to compress the powder.
    Worked fine and cost a grand total of $2.50

Boolit Grand Master

Will Buffalo Arm’s compression die fit into any other than a Lyman M die. I’m using a tablet and all of Buffalo Arm’s pages get cut off at the right so I can’t read everything.

I called them about the pages being cut and apparently nothing can be done about it.

Banned

Will Buffalo Arm’s compression die fit into any other than a Lyman M die. I’m using a tablet and all of Buffalo Arm’s pages get cut off at the right so I can’t read everything.

I called them about the pages being cut and apparently nothing can be done about it.
    yes, it's die specific, it's all on the BACO site .... which has Horrible navigation.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    yes, it's die specific, it's all on the BACO site .... which has Horrible navigation.
    So that means I need to pickup the Lyman M die I saw for ten bucks to put it in. It won’t work in any other die like a Lee Universal Expander die. I don’t have any Lyman M dies at this time.

Banned

So that means I need to pickup the Lyman M die I saw for ten bucks to put it in. It won’t work in any other die like a Lee Universal Expander die. I don’t have any Lyman M dies at this time.
    what i meant is that BACO offers their various caliber compression plugs for various manufacturer expander die bodies - lyman, rcbs, redding. if you already have one of those expander die bodies, buy the appropriate plug to fit that body.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Track of the Wolf sells compression plugs specifically built for Lee dies.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

In Remembrance
    Buy a bolt with the threads of the internal die threads you will use to compress the powder. I made one each for my 45 and 40 brass. A couple of minutes in the lathe and you will have the bolt head round and fitting in the brass case. No lathe? A grinder or belt sander will do the job too.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    If you have a LEE universal expander, check Track of the Wolf. If you don't have the LEE die, get one. They are very handy with all the plugs you can get from NOE and Track of the Wolf. Don't scrimp on good tools.

Boolit Bub
    You can often buy a used Lyman M die at a gun show for $5.00. I buy a 3 foot length of the appropriate thread size and turn it down in a lathe to make various size compression dies.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Track of the Wolf sells compression plugs specifically built for Lee dies.
    And heck of lot cheaper than M-Dies!
    https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...IE-45-COMPRESS

One Lee expander die and as many caliber plugs for 3 bucks that you have rifles with different calibers ... I got a whole box of these plugs for my different caliber rifles
    Regards
    John

A 1.5" piece cut off the shank of an old 29/64" drill bit, cut and ground flat and square, fits perfectly into a 45-70 case. Unscrew the the expander end from the expander stem and use that as a compression die.
    After dropping the powder I push the wad into the case, push the wad down to the powder with the drill shank, leave in place, insert into shell holder and set compression depth as you would with any other die.

Dave