Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: powder coat questions

Boolit Buddy

powder coat questions

hi, ive been using smokes powder coat on .45-70 cast boolits. is powder coat harder than lead? can the boolits be driven faster coated? and......is powder coat abrasive on the barrels? thanks irishtoo

/

Boolit Master

Not abrasive, slicker than snot. Usually can push em a bit faster withojt leading, but not a replacement for gas checks for hi pressure loads. Think of pc as the ultimate lube but all other rules still apply for fit and hardness.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    Irishtoo that’s a good question as I got in a discussion at the range today with some over powder coating. A guy whom I always thought was more of a hero in his own mind was saying that powder coat bullets would cause issues in my 1873 Trapdoor barrel and cause wear like jacketed bullets.

Boolit Master

1) No, PC is not 'harder than lead' in terms of Bhn.

2) I seriously doubt that a properly fitted PC boolit can be driven any faster than a properly fitted and lubed boolit while maintaining the same standard of accuracy. I have found that, using the same powder/primer/brass combination, I gain 5%-6% increase in velocity with PC'd boolits in both my .308 Savage M10 and my .30-40 Krag carbine. While I suspect this may hold true across the board, those are the only two rifles on which I've completed full load (re)development using PC.

3) So far as PC being abrasive, I've put a couple thousand rounds of PC'd 162 gr. RNFPs loaded to 1050 fps through a Ruger Match Champion and, probably, half that many of the same load through a Rossi 92 with no indication of accelerated wear. Admittedly, I haven't slugged either barrel since they were new but rifling in both is still sharp and shiny. A buddy, a serious IDPA/USPAS shooter, who typically shoots 200-300 rounds a couple times a week in practice, has completely switched to PC in his SIGs 'cause (he says) it shoots cleaner than FMJ...no copper fouling.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 11-11-2018 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Awful syntax
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    all interesting thank you all. this a great hobby, always something to learn. irishtoo

Boolit Buddy
    According to the archives the BHN of properly cured PC is around 22 BHN. Ask SMOKE I think he will have a more definite answer than my meager computer skills.