Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
PBcastcoLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neck Pain spine Problem

Boolit Master
    If you have ruptured or herniated discs in your neck I can tell you what worked for ME. Caused a lot of pain in the 15 years I had it until finally the pain level hit 10 even when I laid down. Pain was constant day or night and the only thing that helped was opioids. Finally another MRI was scheduled and doc told me if I didnt have disc (3) replacement surgery within a month would most likely lose the ability to walk and the use of my left arm.
    I tried PT, tons of home remedies, exercise, you name it. But the minute I woke up from surgery felt better than I had in 15 years and never needed even an aspirin since.

Put that free medical to good use and go see a doctor immediately.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy
    I've had pain from my neck down to between my shoulder blades and extended all the way out to the tips of my right hand. In June I woke up in the most pain I have ever been in but I had a seasonal job and toughed it out. In July I woke up and my whole right arm was numb. At first I thought heart attack but then realized it was my right arm not my left. Went to the ER and was told it was just a pulled muscle. Two days later I went to a different ER and what a difference in treatment. Had a MRI 3 days later, soon prepped for visit with neurosurgeon then under the knife in September. From the day I woke up with the numb arm until the day of surgery I was doing everything left handed.

I had 3 discs in my neck replaced, fused and now sport a metal piece that connects the affected vertebrae together. The DR told me my neck was so bad it should have been taken care of years ago.

My pain level is nothing compared to before. I have use of my right arm again but the muscles look like I have been in a cast for six months. The arm is very weak but has feeling again along with motion.
    I can't tell you how nice it is to comb my hair with my right hand again. I am told it will take about a year to get back to normal. My advice to you is go to the DR. Don't be the tough guy, it wasn't worth it.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Bub
    I could sit here and tell my tales of the back, but no need to repeat what the other members have said. The BEST advice you are going to get is "Go the the Doctor". He is the only one who can help you. You already know this is what you need to do. Best of luck and God Bless.

Roy

Pain in the spine is very common with added years. I have lost 5 inches of height in the past few years as a result of the degeneration of the lumbar spine. I saw a doc about a year and a half ago and he did an IMR. He showed me the pics and pointed out what the problems are. I asked him if this condition has a name and he said "Yes, it is called old man back.".

I had one injection that has kept the situation within my tolerance level. Sometimes it now hits my middle back now. I don't take pain meds, although the pain is constant. Throw in all the arthritis in my various joints and that makes life a challenge. Getting old isn't for sissys.

The various opiods don't seem to have much effect on my pain, so why take them? In order to have any effect, the dosage has to be so high I feel like a zombie. I would prefer the pain to being in a trance.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Moderator Emeritus

I know some folks that have had great recovery after back surgery. I also know too many that would love to get back to the pain level they had before their first surgery, but that is long past after the 3 or more subsequent surgeries. What ever you do do your research and follow up. If they tell you walking 5-7 miles a day is the best thing you can do for your back do it for 4 months before deciding to have surgery. I never knew anyone who had a physical job return to the same level after surgery, most push it a little then comes the next surgery. Hips, knees, shoulders and feet are all very different than the back. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I had 2 crushed vertebrae (T3 and T6 ) and a lot of nerve and muscles damage, caused by a car accident. See a doctor avoid Chiropractors and other snake oil salesmen.

Boolit Buddy

MD is a good place to start for benchmark purposes. Waiting until it’s severe can delay appropriate escalating therapy options.

That said, cold therapy be it ice packs or frozen water bottles is always a good adjunct to inflammatory spine issues.
    A hot spa tub was my go to maintenance almost daily. Lost that in the flood and regrettably did not replace.
    Following a severe flare up, and some brief but intense pharmacological support, I purchased an inversion table made by Teeter. It’s similar to traction. You don’t have to go full inverted for the benefit...It actually has an FDA approval, not just a TV gimmick.

I’ll call my current state well controlled but I still do 90 seconds a couple times a day.

Here’s the downside, the only place that seems to stock it is Dicks.

Hope you get some relief.

Bevan
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Banned

My back doctor told me that over 75 percent of people over 50 have bulged discs in there backs. Said it doesn't much matter what you do for a living. Sitting behind a desk can actually be worse then someone like me that did a lot of physical labor. Don't know if he was lecturing me or not but he said one of the biggest causes of back injuries and bulged discs is cigarette smoking. It constricts the blood vessels that supply blood to the back even more then they do other blood vessels. He said he wont even do a fusion on a smoker anymore because the success rate for the long term is about cut in half with smokers. But bottom line is about everyone eventually gets bulged discs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Pain in the spine is very common with added years. I have lost 5 inches of height in the past few years as a result of the degeneration of the lumbar spine. I saw a doc about a year and a half ago and he did an IMR. He showed me the pics and pointed out what the problems are. I asked him if this condition has a name and he said "Yes, it is called old man back.".

I had one injection that has kept the situation within my tolerance level. Sometimes it now hits my middle back now. I don't take pain meds, although the pain is constant. Throw in all the arthritis in my various joints and that makes life a challenge. Getting old isn't for sissys.

The various opiods don't seem to have much effect on my pain, so why take them? In order to have any effect, the dosage has to be so high I feel like a zombie. I would prefer the pain to being in a trance.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the advice, I have had back pain off and on the last 35 years or so.
    I have had the pinched nerve type, that when you finaly get in to bed at night and you are just ready to fall asleep and you get 8-9 till your back relaxes.
    I have found the hot tub helps those. Changing jobs also Helped lots.

The Big hurdle for me going to the doctor, Was time. Time to look after my self.

On Friday I Buried My 11 year old Daughter. Died Nov. 11 2018, Remembrance Day

She Died from cancer 1-1/2 years, from the day we found out to the day she died.

I put everything on Hold for her. I am a member at 2 different gun clubs and only shot 3 times in the last year. So now doing what I can. Been doing lots of reading,-- most people say they should have checked /done it earlier. I want to get out hunting again, if I walk any distance pain would be a 5-6 for weeks after.(foot pain)

I will be talking to the doctor very soon, as soon as things calm down a bit, will ask about the inversion / traction after tests are done.

Thanks
    Last edited by Ford SD; 11-19-2018 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Spelling

Moderator Emeritus

I am so, so sorry about your daughter. Prayers sent.

Boolit Grand Master

Really sorry to hear about your Daughter. Thats a tough lick! Hope you can get your back fixed. Good Luck to you.

Boolit Master
    A surgeon's job is to cut. That is what he likes to do. That's what he will do if you let him. Can't say I find doctors' particularly trustworthy, especially if you have good insurance. Walking, stretching, yoga, tai chi all help your back. I find that getting in and out of my pickups the worst for my back, driving is next, I also try to avoid sitting, getting up after 1/2 hour or so. I did stand at my desk often before it was popular (20 years ago). Movement is key, the more you move the better you will feel, it does hurt at first, but then the movement feels better. Acupressure and acupuncture also work well. Sometimes cutting works, many times it does not last. Radiographs(x-ray) and MRI's are only done on people who hurt, how many people out there have the same x-ray/MRI and have no problems? We really don't know. Somebody has to pay for that $5million MRI machine.

Boolit Buddy
    Appointment!!! And do some research on the medical sites.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    Did some reading and it was suggested to eat jello ..
    to help with the joints plus some other stuff .. I would rather eat jello than take pills .. prob end up some where in between

Have not been a fan of jello for some time but if it helps, I am going to put it on my every day list of thing to do

I have also been taking D3 2-3 times a week with morining coffee

see doctor next week .. Making a list

Boolit Grand Master

I just had an MRI of my lumbar spine. Stenosis and severe arthritis of the lower back. My PCP referred me to a neurosurgeon. Did a little research - they do non-invasive surgery of the brain and spine. Similar to proton therapy but with three beams focused on the area from three different directions. No incision, no major recovery problems, but we'll see what that can and can't do.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Up date
    had some xrays done, I have Degenerative disc disease in my neck. I think eating jello helps

getting blood work done next week, and my first physical since 2016 after xmas

trying to book a mri for ankle / neck ?

Wife has asked if I want a inversion table for xmas ?

Boolit Master
    I've always had lower back pain for years. Since I have a RN coming to the house 3x a week for unrelated issues she was there just shortly after my back went out. twp months later 2nd time only this was much worse. Since she has to file reports with my DR. he sent over a physical therapist.. Along with different excersises she suggested a gel called biofreeze. She runs it in just prior to the massage. Don't know if its her massages or the biofreeze but so far its working. Found two large notted up muscles on either side of the spine. Left is worse than the right. Used to be they handed me pills and that was it. Frank

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ford SD View Post
    Up date
    had some xrays done, I have Degenerative disc disease in my neck. I think eating jello helps

getting blood work done next week, and my first physical since 2016 after xmas

trying to book a mri for ankle / neck ?

Wife has asked if I want a inversion table for xmas ?
    I have a Teeter inversion table. Loved it for a long time till my last accident. Now can only tolerate about a song's worth of time on it. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12