Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
PBcastco Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neck Pain spine Problem

Boolit Master

Neck Pain spine Problem

I am having neck Problems/ pain

pain about a 2/10 or a 3. Looking for opinions before I go see the doc. ..
    Talked to him about 2 years ago so it is in the file. can not rember if I had pictures taken
    If I sleep wrong neck (or do something to it) could be sore for a week or two.then pain goes down to about a 1

Hurt my neck as a kid but have been getting worse (life) now 55
    Not taking anything for it but on the bad days TYLENOL.

I think I have a ruptured dish in my neck, and at times think i Get bone on bone rubbing.(very recent)

whats worked .. and what is a waist of time, thinking 20-30 years in the future

thanks

Boolit Master

go see a doc, and maybe follow up with a bone cruncher. dont be taking advice about the spine from folks on an internet forum. no matter how well meaning.

Moderator Emeritus

I think you should go to the Doc. I'll be curious what they can do, if the pain isn't debilitating.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Go to a good Doctor. I have been through it all concerning back problems including the neck. Three fusions and one was massive....from tailbone to shoulder blades. My pain was in the 8-9 range and has been severe for years. I am beyond fixing some of it now. I had trouble like you describe in the neck but much worse pain. That fusion worked very very well and doesn't give me any problems. It doesn't sound like you are near getting fused yet and a Doctor will give you the best guidance. People on the net can tell you what they have been through but get your medical advice from a Doctor.

I just had spine surgery on my lower back on Weds. The first thing you will need is an mri, but before the ins co will pay for the mri, they will make you go to 4-6weeks physical therapy. You need to start with your famly doctor. He will get you started with pt, and then get you setup for an mri. It is a long painful process that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. Who knows, maybe the physical therapy will help you. I had my first mri in 2005.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

Before you do anything get it xrayed (at the very least) or an MRI so the doc can see what's going on. Around here a Chiropractor can do the xray MUCH cheaper and usually faster than most normal channels. It may be deep tissue massage and a few trips to a chiropractor is all that's needed, but it could be a serious problem. Without an xray or an MRI it's all a guess.

Moderator Emeritus

See your doc, impossible to make a recommendation without an MRI or CT scan(I am claustrophobic so CT it is!). PT and stretching might help, they may suggest traction for a couple weeks. And they will want to do injections before they even begin to talk about a $60k surgery...

Been there, done that, have a plate in my neck from a 2 level fusion...

Boolit Master
    Just looking for ideas and what not to do.

Next summer plan on a Hot tub in back yard.. found it was good after a hard day at work.. Mostly walking and lifting stuff

worst fear right now is getting in a car axcident and having my neck messed up. .. not going to the neck cracker

Pain I can live with to some extent.. Never so much that I can not get out of bed.
    I have been using Glucosamine for the last 6 years or so maybe only 1 tablet a day.
    Before I stated it I was using more than 4 tylenol a day (doing med lifting.. Factory work) now I go weeks with out using any tylenol /Aleve

Just in the last two week or so Neck is worse than normal

Have been dealing with ankle pain the last 2 years, since I twisted it, last time (Told the doc about it ) so I don.t think he will say PT will fix it
    did get ankle xrayed .. Need to be able to drive.. right foot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    See your doc, impossible to make a recommendation without an MRI or CT scan(I am claustrophobic so CT it is!). PT and stretching might help, they may suggest traction for a couple weeks. And they will want to do injections before they even begin to talk about a $60k surgery...

Been there, done that, have a plate in my neck from a 2 level fusion...
    they may suggest traction... what does this involve ???... like the idea of non surgury more than the Knife.
    Put stitches in my finger no problem, I will hold the bits in place when you sew.. the back ????

The injections didn’t help me at all. In fact, they greatly increased my pain. The surgeon said that my spine probably couldn’t take the increased pressure. The insurance companies have it all mapped out.
    1-pt
    2-mri
    3-injections
    4-surgery
    Of course, if one of these helps, they will stop there. I think a chiropractor is considered an unconventional treatment method, and your ins may or may not pay for it. I didn’t try one, but have friends that swear by them.
    I am also claustrophbic, and had to have an open mri. They also gave me valium before the mri to keep me calm.

Pain 2-3 on a a 10 point scale? Take a couple of Ibuprophen and forget about it. When it get to 8 go see a doctor. 2 to 3 isn't pain, it is discomfort.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I broke My Pelvis 3 spots No Pain meds taken
    16 weeks on crutches .. did my own PT no Pain meds learing to walk.. Motorcycle

Heel spurs both feet contiued to walk on them trying different shoe inserts 6-12 months before pain free.. I have a high pain threshold

About my neck
    just lying in bed at night before going to sleep (no pillow) if I turn my head I can feel the bones grate together in my neck
    Last edited by Ford SD; 11-11-2018 at 02:00 AM.

Boolit Master
    What not to do? Don’t listen to anyone on an Internet forum! See a doctor! I’ve had multiple operations on my lower back, including a fusion on levels L4 L5 and L5 S1. I also have 5 herniated disks in my neck. If I had listened to those that suggested that I go to a chiropractor, I probably would be paralyzed and in a wheel chair! My first surgery was supposed to be a simple discectomy (a 20 minute procedure). The nerve roots were so bad ( completely incased in disk material ) that it took 2 surgeons 6 1/2 hours to free up the nerves. When I woke up in recovery I had permanent nerve damage in wy left leg, which included what’s called a drop foot. I was told that I was probably weeks away from permanent paralysis. Had I waited much longer for the surgery there would have been nothing that could be done. Had I gone to a chiropractor, he would have adjusted my spine and in doing so he more than likely severed my spine. None of these issues showed up any of the mri’s cat scans, or xrays that I had! The only test that showed the extent of the actual damage was the subsequent Myelograms that I had to monitor recovery. Myelograms are not normally given a a prerequisite to a simple discectomy. As for someone posting how pain level only being 2 or 3 on a scale of 10 not being that bad and you should wait till it gets to 8. First off everyone rates and deals with pain differently. In my case I waited almost a year before going to a doctor. Look we’re it got me. My point in telling you some of my story is to emphasize how important early and proper treatment is. Please see a doctor, see more than one doctor and get multiple opinions. Don’t follow internet advice. And don’t wait! I had my first back surgery in 1991 maybe if I’d seen a doctor sooner I wouldn’t have spent the last 27 years in constant, chronic pain. And maybe I wouldn’t have to take 120 milligrams of morphine plus other medications every day just to be able to live a some what normal life. I am certainly not pain free. But it’s diminished enough to be able to function. I do apologize if anything I said upset anyone. That was not my intention. I just hate the thought of anyone else going through what I’ve gone through for the past 27 years.
    Last edited by poppy42; 11-11-2018 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Typos
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Banned

Yup I sure wouldnt go to a neurosurgeon to get advice about what alloy to cast for and sure wouldn't take advice from a high school grad bullet caster on something as important as my spine. Go to a good back surgeon. Very few of them will suggest surgery as a first fix. Any good one will do surgery as a last resort. If your surgeon immediately suggests surgery run as fast as you can. I had back surgery. I had no choice but that back surgery has ended up being 6 of them. Most who get cut on will be under the knife again in the future. Now I will say this chiropractors scare the begeebees out of me. If you have a serious problem with your back or bulged discs bending and cracking those joints IS NOT going to cure a thing. If anything it will do more long term damage. See a GOOD REAL doctor. Ive had 3 back surgeons ive delt with through the years (due to retirements) each and every one of them cringes at the word chiropractor.
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    go see a doc, and maybe follow up with a bone cruncher. dont be taking advice about the spine from folks on an internet forum. no matter how well meaning.

The main thing that I regret is not doing anything for years. I would get it checked out now, before it gets too bad.

Moderator Emeritus

For traction PT straps you on the rack and they stretch you LOL literally! They have a table with sections than can put slight pressure on the spine... this is NOT something to just try! I had it done under neurosurgeon supervision...

Boolit Master
    like poppy and lloyd said, go to a reputable nuero surgeon, been there done that, i've suffered with chronic debilitating pain since accident broke back bones and popped disks when i was 21. get an mri, your lucky they have them now a day spinal tap/myelogram is no picnic, and dr will be able to see whats going on. don't go asking your bartender for medical advice

Moderator Emeritus

Others have said it. See a good doctor. You get cut once, expect a lot of future ones. I agree with no chiropractor, see the doc first. A light type of traction would be the inversion tables. I have a teeter and love it. Uses your body weight to help seperate discs while upside down and you decide how much tilt to use. Good luck. I wish my daily was only a 2-3. Like others my good day is a 7.

Boolit Master

Make a appointment
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Had 2 runs to the emergency room in 4 months with back spasms. Pain like I have never experienced.
    I got shot when I was 22 and this hurt worse!
    Finally did an MRI and that told the story.
    I would not make any plans until you got an MRI.
    I am treating with massage, physical therapy and chiropractic care.
    No knife for me!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast