RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Commemorate the 100 yr ending of WW1

Commemorate the 100 yr ending of WW1

Thought Id go out to the range tomorrow and take my Mosin, Carcano, a P14, and a couple of 1911's. The P14 could have seen action then, but the rest of mine are all too new. Good excuse to go shoot anyways.

I hope that you have a great time at the range. I also hope that on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month others will reflect on what was probably the worst war in history up until even today. Poison gas, stalemated trench warfare with concentrated death and mayhem, a lack of understanding about the threat of machine guns, concentrated artillery barrages that lasted for hours, more men killed in some battles on both sides than we lost in WW II. The "War to end all wars", that ended nothing at all. May their millions rest in peace.

Boolit Bub
    Der, well said. Respect to all those who have given the ultimate sacrifice. And thank you to all those who have and who are currently serving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    c1skout,

Good Show! Yes, go shoot the old guns that some WWI veteran carried and used. I plan to shoot my three P-17s, a Winchester, a Remington and an Eddystone. One of those P-17s was "liberated" by my maternal grandfather, a WW1 veteran, who served in France. He also liberated two M1911s in the 13X,XXX and 16X,XXX serial number range that will be shot tomorrow.

Adam

I had a good time! I shot about 25 rounds through the p14, 10 from the Carcano, and another 25 out of the Mosin Nagant. Rang the gong at 330yds with the Mosin a few times (2 outa 5). Mostly I just hit paper plates at 100.

There were some other guys there in who were younger than me, late 20's-mid 30's. 2 of them asked me about my guns so I told them what they were, and explained that I was commemorating the anniversary of the end of WW1. Two of them jumped at the chance to shoot my old iron so I gave each some instructions and a few factory rounds.

They were very appreciative, and both want to get more military guns. One of them had shot m1 Garand and carbine before, the other was only experienced with modern bolt guns. They seemed shocked that such old guns can shoot so well, my p14 is 104 this year. The Mosin's recoil was commented on too.

I fired a few rounds from my Win 94 too. I brought it along because Britian, France, and Russia all bought some from Winchester early in the war to help arm troops. I figured why not!

Looks like a bunch of us all think alike! I took this Sunday and Monday off a few months ago (I work weekends) in preparation for a range trip for all of my Great War rifles and have been getting loads worked up the last few trips out. I brought out a M1903(mfg. early 1918), M1917(mfg. early 1918), SMLE(mfg. 1913), 1891 Mosin(mfg. 1917) and an Austrian M95(mfg. ???). A buddy from work that I got into casting came out with a few rifles including a Gew98 (mfg. 1917).

Good shooting at 100 yards (for me) with my lead plinkers. Well, except for the M95 that I only have factory ammo for. That gun is punishing.

Was a great way to spend a morning/afternoon until the range got crowded with a bunch of guys trying to figure out how to sight in and clear jams in ARs. No real interest in the old wooden guns today but they may have just tried to stay away from the weirdo in the Brodie helmet.

Anyways, glad to hear I wasn't the only one with this on my mind. Hard to imagine what some of these rifles may have seen and what men are able to endure.
    -Tim in Rip City

Almost forgot, my old man and his 94 Winchester was out with us testing some little plinkers I have been working up for him. So, I guess it all fits.
    -Tim in Rip City

Attachment 230578
    I was shooting 3 feet high at 100 yards so I raised the ladder and used the bottom aperture at 200 yards and was making consistent hits on the gong!
    My light load of 200 grain cast bullets worked.
    The ladder was on my 1898 Krag!
    Can our government survive the next 4 years?

Boolit Master
    I had taken out my 1888 Steyr Gewehr Rifle (1888 Commission Rifle). It was made in 1893. It is possible it may have seen action. The Gewehr 88 rifles really got around, they made untold numbers of them and sold them all over to everyone in Europe, The Middle East, Asia, Far East, Africa, and South America too.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 11-18-2018 at 11:33 AM. Reason: typo