Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Barnes changes small bores atitudes

Boolit Master
    When I lived in pa I hunted alot in w.va near StormLake and that big power plant. I kinda envy you as your in w.va and have those beautiful mountains to hunt on. My barrel is a 16 incher 223 Wylde with a 1 in 8 twist. The load is a Barnes 62gr TacX with Ramshot Tac at 24.gr fired with CCI BR-4 primers. I also use Barnes 70 gr TSX but they are really long so this year I got some 62 gr and I prefer them only because they allow for more room in the COL. Hope they shoot as good for you as we have experienced.We use them in 30-30, 7-08, 243 and now in 223. I never had larger than normal groups for the specific gun. Matter of fact for me these Barnes TSX bullets almost always will give as tight a group as the guns best cup core load. They are salty for me to shoot out side of hunting
    Have fun!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned

like ive said ive had erratic performance with them in small bores. The 7s and the 30s not so much. But I have one weird 30 cal story. I shot a 120 lb doe once at about 250 yards with my 300 wby using a 168 tsx (the tipped one) at the shot the deer ran in a circle in a strange way in the field and traveled about a 100 yards total and came right back to about where I shot and dropped. When I got to the deer I noticed the leg was hanging by hide right at the knee. When gutted and skinned it I found I had hit right on the leg bone about at the level of the heart. That bullet hit that leg bone an did a 90 degree turn and went right down the leg and blew the knee right out of the deer. One of the peddles from the mushroom broke off and made it into the heart as there was a small tear in the heart. that was the only internal damage and the front shoulder wasn't even blood shot. Now im not going to sit here and try to convince you a 300 wby with x bullets wont kill a deer cleanly. It was just one of those things. Shoot enough deer and you will see about every possible result. Bottom line though is ive shot a lot of deer. Never saw one hit in the right spot with a cup and core bullet that didn't make it to the table. The bullet manufactures make a lot of money convincing people that think that there premium bullets are the answer to a question that never needed to be asked. If you lost deer shot with cup and core bullets then you didn't shoot them in the right spot and a 50 dollar bullet wouldn't have changed a thing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    When I lived in pa I hunted alot in w.va near StormLake and that big power plant. I kinda envy you as your in w.va and have those beautiful mountains to hunt on. My barrel is a 16 incher 223 Wylde with a 1 in 8 twist. The load is a Barnes 62gr TacX with Ramshot Tac at 24.gr fired with CCI BR-4 primers. I also use Barnes 70 gr TSX but they are really long so this year I got some 62 gr and I prefer them only because they allow for more room in the COL. Hope they shoot as good for you as we have experienced.We use them in 30-30, 7-08, 243 and now in 223. I never had larger than normal groups for the specific gun. Matter of fact for me these Barnes TSX bullets almost always will give as tight a group as the guns best cup core load. They are salty for me to shoot out side of hunting
    Have fun!
    Thanks for the data and information, it will work out good for me. I live about 14 miles away from Mt Storm power plant.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123