Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Arisaka recrowning

Arisaka recrowning

Gentleman
    Recently took purchase of a type 99 Arisaka long rifle and the bore is excellent. But..the muzzle crown has two small dings that protrude into the rifling. I have been online looking at various recrowning tools. Dave Manson sells a nice one.
    Seems like alot of money for one job. Which reamer is correct for the Arisaka barrel profile?
    Perhaps someone on the board could rent or loan one to me.

Boolit Grand Master

There are ways to "polish: those dings out, with out a reamer or cutter. A brass ball, round headed screw, round nosed bullet of the appropriate diameter can be used with valve grinding compound. A wood dowel can be turned up with the same profile on the end and a stem on the back if you want ti maintain the exact shape. Use a brace to power it. The wod dowel works pretty good as the end grain loads and holds the grit good. I set the barreled action in a padded vise muzzle up. impregnate the lap with compound and a couple drops of oil. Mount in brace and carefully insert into muzzle. Turnback and forth 1/4 - 1/2 turn 5-6 times and rotate around every 5-6 times thru 4-5 rotations of the lapp. When crown looks clean and true, finish with finer grits of compound or flitz. Auto rubbing compound will give a fie polished finish also. You don't need a lot of force The weight of the lapp and brace will do the job. Light pressure letting the lapping compound do the work is the way. every rotation add a drop or two of oil. This keeps the compound cutting clean and helps it break down to finer grits giving the desired finish.

A while back I posted the procedure to sort lapping grits from grinder ash using light oils. You can make your own lapping compounds from the dust around your pedestal grinder

If the nicks are deep, cut them out first with one of these. Then use the brass screw/lapping compund as described above. I've cut & recrowned dozens of rifle barrels over the years. With hand tools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

it all depends on if you want to keep the rifle collectable or not.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i always used a round head brass screw and a little lapping compound in a drill seems to work fine.