WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision PBcastco
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My rcbs bench priming tool mods and questions

My rcbs bench priming tool mods and questions

So I have one of these. It works pretty well. I’ve set it up on these Purple Heart blocks to make it portable. I recently added a spring return to the lever which is a big improvement so I don’t have to lift the handle every time.

One mod I’d like to do is make the lever a beaver tail shape to ease the pressure point on my hand. But I haven’t made that part yet.

Problem is the **** thing spits 1-2 primers into the universe out of ever 100 batch. Usually at the end of the run in the last 6 pc in the tube.

Has anyone sorted out a way to make it 💯 reliable?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 077093C2-1960-4065-901D-C6F0B7274F8D.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    As you are going through the tube full of primers check from time to time that the tube has not started to work its way up out of the mounting socket. Just a simple, light downward push is all that is needed, especially for the last few. You also have to keep the primer cup/shell holder relationship right by occasionally adjusting the shell holder post for some primer brands and/or lots to get the seating pressure just right so the primer "bottoms" just below flush without distorting the radius.

I have been using one for years and think its way beyond all the common hand held units with "reservoirs".

Boolit Master

My DAD gave me one years ago, but by that time I was on my 2nd LEE hand-priming tool with the tray. The hand tool spoiled me, from priming on the couch watching TV. Loaned it to a "friend", never saw it again.

Wish I still had it. Used My DAD'S a Lot. His Always worked great, He had 5 primer tubes for Large & Small.
    He could easily prime 500 cases in an hour.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Here is something you might try. Get a large nail or bolt the same diameter as a large/small primer. Cut it off to about a 2" length to use as a weigh on those last few primers. I've never had the problem you describe, but perhaps this would help.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    Here is something you might try. Get a large nail or bolt the same diameter as a large/small primer. Cut it off to about a 2" length to use as a weigh on those last few primers. I've never had the problem you describe, but perhaps this would help.
    good idea. I was eyeballing my hornady AP Fiberglass primer rod thing that serves this purpose.
    Of course I’d like to avoid making a bomb out of it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    As you are going through the tube full of primers check from time to time that the tube has not started to work its way up out of the mounting socket. Just a simple, light downward push is all that is needed, especially for the last few. You also have to keep the primer cup/shell holder relationship right by occasionally adjusting the shell holder post for some primer brands and/or lots to get the seating pressure just right so the primer "bottoms" just below flush without distorting the radius.

I have been using one for years and think its way beyond all the common hand held units with "reservoirs".
    The tube is very loose and it shakes a lot in operation so I can’t imagine it creeping up, at least I haven’t noticed it do that, and I’d notice I think.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    To follow up on Pertnear's idea. I use a piece of straight wire (I used a hanger) cut to length and inserted into the top after filling. It not only adds a little weight but also lets me know when the tube is about to run dry. (I cut mine long enough to put a loop at the top which makes it easier to remove and acts as an eyeball gauge.)

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    To follow up on Pertnear's idea. I use a piece of straight wire (I used a hanger) cut to length and inserted into the top after filling. It not only adds a little weight but also lets me know when the tube is about to run dry. (I cut mine long enough to put a loop at the top which makes it easier to remove and acts as an eyeball gauge.)
    You mean you use a full length wire? Doesn’t that whip towards your face pretty fast?

RCBS provided an aluminum follower plug with my piggyback 2 primer tubes. It locks the shell holder when the primers run out and adds a littl weight to keep them moving. Might contact their Customer Service and see if they will send you one.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

In Remembrance

If the tube is loose and sloppy in the holder as you say, try a small piece of clear tape like Scotch tape near the bottom of the tube to add some more dimension.Robert

Boolit Master
    When mine starts throwing out primers, it's time to tighten up the primer post assembly. Have to do it about every 100 primers. Thought about using Loctite but it could be an issue, down the road if the spring needed to be replaced.

Winelover

Boolit Master

Use some blue Loc-Tite or nail polish. The bond breaks easily with hand tools and there is very little surface area the the bond actuall occurs, it's not like a 1/2" bolt.

I use it (blue LT) on my older RCBS single load bench mounted primer.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    Drew: I have 2 RCBS machines. One that is the new style and one old. The old requires that you manually pull the tube and feed assembly forward to seat. I mostly use Lyman tubes as they work in the machine and I like them better. I fill the primer tube and prime a dozen or so cases and then insert the wire. I have never had an issue with it trying to eject the wire with the old style machine and I have never have much luck with the new machine using the "slam and jam" method so nothing is moving fast enough to eject the wire. I have been using the older of the two machines, this way, (bought used in the 70s) for many years. Works for me.

Boolit Master
    I’ve never had a problem with it dropping extra primers, but I’ve only used it for maybe 5,000 rifle. I did try to tighten the bolt that goes through the handle and twisted it off, they sent me a new one.

If you’re dropping extras doesn’t the problem almost have to be related to the primer retention pin and spring?

Boolit Master
    I've had thrown primers occasionally.It is always one of the last two or three primers in the tube.If you hold the primer tube when it's almost empty it doesn't happen.Next time I use it I will add a weight to the primer column to see if that helps.

Boolit Master

due to my wimpiness and old age I added to the length of the handle. Now it's about 150% of the original length.

found a piece if tubing in junk drawer and slid it over stock one.

I think it gives me more 'feel' when seating + easier on wrist and palm/fingers.

did the same thing with my MEC Super Sizer
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Moderator Emeritus

Master teacher, guide, shooter, and reloader Darrel Holland purveys both a complete modified RCBS tool, which -- at over two hundred U S dollars, is a bit out of my budget. https://hollandsgunsmithing.com/prod...primer-seater/ However, he (or "his girls") do sell the spring to raise the handle separately. After a couple of buddies saw mine, they rang Darrel and purchased one each, too! Mine was the OLLLD unit without the handle raising the primer tube with each operation. One 'phone call to RCBS had one of these, gratis, in my mailbox in a matter of just a few days, too. While I use the primer feed on my dillon 550b for pretty much all pistol calibers -- I use nothing other than the (Holland spring equipped) RCBS primer for all rifle calibers.
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Master teacher, guide, shooter, and reloader Darrel Holland purveys both a complete modified RCBS tool, which -- at over two hundred U S dollars, is a bit out of my budget. https://hollandsgunsmithing.com/prod...primer-seater/ However, he (or "his girls") do sell the spring to raise the handle separately. After a couple of buddies saw mine, they rang Darrel and purchased one each, too! Mine was the OLLLD unit without the handle raising the primer tube with each operation. One 'phone call to RCBS had one of these, gratis, in my mailbox in a matter of just a few days, too. While I use the primer feed on my dillon 550b for pretty much all pistol calibers -- I use nothing other than the (Holland spring equipped) RCBS primer for all rifle calibers.
    geo
    I was looking for a rotary spring like they have used but I only found the flat wire in my junk piles. It works well.

Yes I’ve gone through the post unscrewing problems but I’ve lock tote them a long time ago and it is not this problem I can say. I’ll try some tape on the primer tube and some weights if that doesn’t work.

Boolit Master

I've seen a small rod with a lead "knob" on one end used on those to act as a follower. Same with the old Star reloaders./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

I have ben loading for over 50 years. I find, at 77, you are never to old to learn.
    I have been using the RCBS bench priming tool since they came out.
    One of the issues I have had is the thing popping primers out instead of dropping them into the priming stem.
    I cut a 6" piece of aluminum rod that will fit in the small primer tube to use as a follower.
    When doing a primer test yesterday, I loaded 5 primers at a time in the tubes followed by the rod for weight.
    I did not want to risk a detonation by dropping the rod into the tube, so I slid the rod in the tube while it was horizontal.
    It worked like a charm. No more primers popped on the floor.
    Such a simple solution. Thanks...dale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast