MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: 32 S&W long conversion on H&R 158 22 Hornet

Boolit Buddy

32 S&W long conversion on H&R 158 22 Hornet

How hard would it be and cost implications to rechamber and rebore a 22 Hornet H&R single shot that won't shoot j words or cast better than 3" at 100yds to 32 S&W long for a bunny gun?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Should be an easy rebore. Or just use a .32-20 liner and rechamber, maybe less expensive to do that.

I went a different way and had John Taylor fabricate a complete barrel .32 S&W Long assembly from scratch, using a pull-off M1 Garand barrel I already had, cutting off the muzzle at the gas port and the breech at the chamber neck, turning the rest down. That way I could still use the original shotgun barrel. A bit more expensive, but much more useful way to go.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    How well does the Hornet shoot at "bunny" range?

Boolit Master
    I have been wanting to do this very conversion myself. My plan is to use an old shotgun barrel stubbed and a rifle barrel inserted . Have no idea what it will cost, but i cant imagine it would be more than $400.

Boolit Master
    I have been wanting to do this very conversion myself. My plan is to use an old shotgun barrel stubbed and a rifle barrel inserted . Have no idea what it will cost, but i cant imagine it would be more than $400.

Boolit Master
    Years ago a local gunsmith had a H&R Topper in Hornet, and told me it woudn't shoot his cast bullets until he shortened the barrel a couple of inches. He claimed it had a gain twist and he cut it down till it was "just right". Sounds like BS to me ,or was he correct?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    H&R .22 Hornet barrel I had was apparently fabricated from a reject M16 barrel that didn't gage up. The .30-30 barrel was apparently made from a rejected M14 barrel. Both oversized in groove diameter because GI barrels were intended to be hard chromed inside to final dimensions, but these were rejected before electro polishing and chroming, being both rough and "large."
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    How well does the Hornet shoot at "bunny" range?
    My favorite fox squirrel rifle is a Savage 219 in .22 Hornet. Shoots cast as well as I can hold at realistic small game ranges, definitely good enough for head shots on them if I can do it. It's been my experience that the Hornet is a good one with cast.

Boolit Buddy
    Rusty my Hornet will only shoot 3" groups at 100 yds at its best. Of course the trigger pull of about way too heavy doesn't lend to accuracy. Lightest cast I have shot have been 50 gr. Maybe try some lighter boolits? I have tried LEE Bators and NOE MX3 55 gr and no velocity will get me any better accuracy. Was just looking to have a cast boolit shooter with a little more thump in a light short rifle for a truck gun. By the way I have had this rifle for 40 yrs as a truck gun and it shows the wear. $250 for the bore job and then opening the rim size and extractor modification will put this out of my comfort zone for a cheap rifle. Well cheap what I paid back in 1978.

A rebarrel or reline will be much more money than a rebore. Just the cost of a good TJ's liner will be close to the price of the rebore. I'd contact JES Reboring in Eugene, Or. and talk to them. They'll do the rebore for around $150-$160.

Boolit Master
    Oily I was just jerking your chain a little. I don't know anyone who shoots bunnys (bunnies??) at 100 yards and at 69 years old I'm not sure I could even see a bunny at 100!!

Ive been planning on doing exactly the same thing, But been waiting for a reamer to come up for sale on ebay second hand... Ive got a old 303 target barrel i was going to use... Plus i already cast 98 grain flat base wadcutters for my Hammerli ... So good to go for projectiles , brass etc..